Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wtc News

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by ducken
    E40L35 what are your thoughts of this? I personally was moved when I was looking at it. I was kinda wondering what you and your fellow FF in NY thought of this. You guys were obviously affected more then anyone else, do you guys feel it serves the memory of your fallen brothers well.

And thank you so much for keeping us up to date!!

I may have to make a trip up to NYC to see this in person, although i would be scared to death. A big city like that would eat up a little country boy like me.

I think it is a GREAT TRIBUTE to Brave men. The ceremony was powerful yet fitting. I wish everyone could have heard Chief Hayden's remarks, he is a class act. In the Cave we are still missing members from that Tuesday. Now I can take my friend Mikey's sons to a Monument to spend time with their father and not some hole in the ground. I recommend EVERYONE to make a pilgrimage to the site and see what Murderers did that day.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Default Ray

Thanks for making sure none of us forget.... Ever
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default An Opinion

I am starting to believe that the FDNY needs to step away from this fiasco and tell the "official memorial" people to put it where an endoscope will be the only way to view it. Let's see, 4.75 years and all there is to show is a big hole, and a few drawings that seem to get shot down in just hours. (I know that some of the other buildings are being rebuilt.)

Unfortunatly I can't offer any good ideas about how to fix the problem, or even any bad ones. Rant off.

I do believe that there is a trip to New York city in my future with plenty of film, memory cards or both, for use at the 10 house.

" empty promises from empty suits" so fitting.

Alan

edited to add: I am proud of the fact that the private sector and the brothers of FDNY could pull off a fitting memorial to those that made the supreme sacrifice.
    Last edited by ARH176; 06-11-2006 at 11:56 PM. Reason: clarification and bad typing

Forum Member

To my Brothers and Sisters in the F.D.N.Y.

While I now live in the Pacific Northwest and can only comment on the events in New York City from a distance, allow me to offer the following observations:

Thank you Assistant Chief H. Meyers for spearheading this Memorial.

Thank you Holland & Knight for all your efforts.

Thank you Mayor Giuliani for coming to the dedication.

Thank you, and God bless you Chief Hayden for your comments and your courage.

Thank you, God bless you and may God watch over you to ALL the Members of the F.D.N.Y. - those of you we lost on 9-11-01 and afterwards - those of you who searched, rescued from and recovered from The Pile - those of you who now serve with courage, honor and dignity.

You made a frightened nation proud on 9-11-01 and you continue to do so by your example.

We will never forget!

By the way, shame on you President Bush, Governor Pataki and especially Mayor Bloomberg for not attending the ceremony. It is obvious how you feel about your Bravest.

With my highest respect,

Jim Boyle (aka 1261Truckie)
    Retired Firefighter
    Former Auxiliary Firefighter F.D.N.Y. Ladder Co. 132 (1968 - 1975)

Forum Member

Thats so damn cool, I wanna go see it first hand someday

God Bless our FDNY Brothas
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 4, 2006 -- The search for remains of 9/11/01 victims on a skyscraper near Ground Zero - suspended more than two months ago by environmental officials - will resume tomorrow. Workers, wearing masks for protection from asbestos and other contaminants, will continue cleaning the roof of the former Deutsche Bank building of toxic materials and searching for remains, said John Gallagher, spokesman for the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. The Environmental Protection Agency suspended work on the roof in April, citing the LMDC for failing to properly protect workers from asbestos. It said in mid-June that the agency, which owns the vacant skyscraper and began dismantling it last fall, could resume the work. Part of the World Trade Center's south tower tore into 15 stories of the building when the tower collapsed Sept. 11, 2001.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 16, 2006 -- Scores of people rallied at Ground Zero yesterday to remember the fallen and call for a more thorough search for bone fragments still being found near the World Trade Center site. Activists have said they aren't convinced that enough is being done to recover any small bits of remains that might still be hidden among other debris at the vacant Deutsche Bank building, which was damaged beyond repair in the trade center collapse. More than 600 human bone fragments have been found in the 41-story tower, the majority turning up on the roof. Richard Gould, a professor of anthropology at Brown University, said he is concerned that teams scouring the building are using tools too crude to find every bone fragment. "What the site needs is a careful, systematic clearing job," he said. "So far, that hasn't happened yet." The search for remains at the skyscraper resumed July 5 after a two-month break ordered by environmental officials. The recovery of remains is being overseen by the city's Medical Examiner's Office and its forensic anthropologist, Dr. Bradley Adams, who formerly worked with a military task force recovering the remains of soldiers from Korea and Vietnam. Workers are also removing asbestos and other toxic materials from the building as a prelude to demolishing it. Those rallying at the site yesterday included dozens of veterans. Organizers of the event held a ceremony honoring World Trade Center victims who had also served in the military.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

The Bloombag administration has asked a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit aimed at forcing the city to excavate and give a "proper burial" to tons of World Trade Center debris at Fresh Kills landfill. The Manhattan Federal Court suit was filed in 2005 by WTC Families for Proper Burial and 17 relatives of 9/11 victims, who charge human body parts are mingled in the debris from the twin towers recovery operation. But the relatives don't have the right "to overturn the city's decision on how to treat the WTC material" at the Staten Island dump, a lawyer for the city said in a new written response. "The possibility that the remains of some victims may not have been found ...does not empower this court to order the City of New York to commit tens of millions of taxpayers' dollars to resift and relocate the material," lawyer James Tyrrell wrote. The family members' lawyer Norman Siegel promised "a vigorous reply" to the city's motion. "We believe an egregious wrong was committed and that our clients' civil rights were violated," he said.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

NEW YORK -- The mayor called an emergency meeting at City Hall on Friday to figure out why human bones were discovered at ground zero this week and discuss what other areas of the site should be searched for remains of the Sept. 11 dead. The discovery stirred up renewed anger and anguish among families of the dead. "These are the bones that these mothers bore," said Rosaleen Tallon, whose brother died on Sept. 11. Bloombag called agencies to the meeting to "put them all together in a room to see what else we should go look at and why this wasn't discovered five years earlier." He also said that the city was planning to scour the site again for remains, examining other manholes and areas that might have been overlooked. Chief Medical Examiner Charles Hirsch told The Associated Press he was eager to see what came out of the meeting. "We've been in touch with the families and expressed our concern," he said as he headed inside. Meanwhile, police and forensic experts dug through a pile of rubble at the site Friday in search of more remains, an official said. The search involved additional material pulled from the manhole where the bones were found this week, and was expected to yield additional remains, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not instructed not to speak publicly about the matter. Construction work on several ongoing projects at the site - the Sept. 11 memorial, the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower and a transit hub - continued without interruption Friday, said Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman.The remains, some as big as arm or leg bones, were found by a Port Authority contractor working with a Consolidated Edison crew excavating a manhole at street level, Coleman said. The location where the bones were found is next to where a podium is put up on Sept. 11 anniversaries for families to read the names of their loved ones. Family members called Friday for an investigation by Congress and state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer into the failure to completely remove the remains from ground zero. The group WTC Families for Proper Burial also called for ground zero construction to be halted until a proper search for remains can be completed. Diane Horning, who lost a son on Sept. 11, said at a news conference that a small piece of her son's body, found 4 1/2 years ago, was located near the latest discovery."Why were these remains removed and the site compromised? The entire recovery has never been handled as a crime scene," said Horning.The families said officials rushed to clean the debris from ground zero without properly considering the remains. Con Edison said that at the direction of the Port Authority, it entered the lower Manhattan site on Wednesday to remove material from two manholes that had been damaged and abandoned after the 2001 collapse of the twin towers. Crews hauled the excavated materials Wednesday to a work center more than a mile away, as is customary, Con Edison said. No one noticed there were human remains.On Thursday morning, the Port Authority contractor spotted the remains, and the medical examiner's office was contacted. More remains were found at the Chelsea site where the excavated material was taken, said Con Ed spokesman Mike Clendenin.The area was roped off, and investigators sifted through dirt under a white tarp. The team of workers included forensic anthropologists who are overseeing the medical examiner's massive effort to identify Sept. 11 trade center victims.Police said there was no evidence of wrongdoing, and an investigation was to continue Friday.Con Edison said it "shares the great sensitivity felt by families and rescuers associated with the tragedy" because many of its employees have been personally involved in the restoration and recovery efforts. Five years after 2,749 people died in the World Trade Center attack, families of about 1,150 victims still have not received word that their loved ones' remains were found amid the rubble. The remains of Charles Wolf's wife, Katherine, 40, were never recovered. He said his wife, an employee of insurer Marsh & McLennan, perished on the 97th floor of the north tower. "I am totally shocked that this was found in the pit," said Wolf, who showed up at the Chelsea Con Edison site after being contacted by television stations. "The fact that they were found in ground zero says there was some major, major shortfall in the recovery effort." Wolf, 52, of Manhattan, said a "qualified independent party," such as investigators with the military's Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, or JPAC, which looks for American soldiers who go missing, should handle the Sept. 11 remains search. "We've got a problem right now," Wolf said. "Where else are we going to find them next?" During the excavation of the 110-story twin towers, which began the evening of the attacks and lasted for nine months, about 20,000 pieces of human remains were found. The DNA in thousands of those pieces, many small enough to slip into a test tube, was too damaged by heat, humidity and time to yield matches in the many tests forensic scientists have tried over the years. The city told victims' families last year that it was putting the project on hold, possibly for years, until new DNA technology was developed. Every known process had been tried. But last month, Medical Examiner Charles Hirsch said that advances had been made by Bode Technology Group, the Virginia company contracted to work on recovered Sept. 11 bone fragments, and that "new identifications will be forthcoming." A medical examiner's office spokeswoman, Ellen Borakove, said Thursday that no new IDs had been made but they still were expected. Besides the new remains found by the utility workers, the lab also has recently received hundreds of bone fragments discovered on the roof of a building just south of where the trade center stood. The building had been condemned since the attacks and was about to be torn down when workers found the bone pieces.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

A coalition of historic preservation groups accused World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein of making no effort to save the so-called Survivors Staircase. The now-battered stairs, which many in the north tower used to reach Vesey St. safely on 9/11, stand where Silverstein plans to build an office tower. The Lower Manhattan Emergency Preservation Fund, whose five groups include the Municipal Art Society and the New York Landmarks Conservancy, had been in talks with Silverstein and the Port Authority about ways to safeguard the steps. But the groups concluded, in a letter to Silverstein this week, that his tower is being designed by architect Norman Foster "as though the staircase had already been destroyed." A spokesman for Silverstein had no comment yesterday.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

A coalition of historic preservation groups accused World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein of making no effort to save the so-called Survivors Staircase. The now-battered stairs, which many in the north tower used to reach Vesey St. safely on 9/11, stand where Silverstein plans to build an office tower. The Lower Manhattan Emergency Preservation Fund, whose five groups include the Municipal Art Society and the New York Landmarks Conservancy, had been in talks with Silverstein and the Port Authority about ways to safeguard the steps. But the groups concluded, in a letter to Silverstein this week, that his tower is being designed by architect Norman Foster "as though the staircase had already been destroyed." A spokesman for Silverstein had no comment yesterday.
    Yet another slap in the face.

As to the post previous to that one, well it just plain baffles me. Shaking my head in disbelief.

The remains, some as big as arm or leg bones,
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I wonder how those bone fragments got up on those roof tops?

IACOJ BOD

Sinders Rella.

(Ever hear of a bloke called Newton, he has started one of the best govmint conspiracies of all time, it implies everything drops downwards.)

Us conspiracy types are over here
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

October 22, 2006 -- Fifteen more pieces of human remains - including a bone more than a foot long - were unearthed at Ground Zero yesterday after a new search for 9/11 victims kicked into high gear. The discovery came as a source said he wasn't surprised at the find - because the temporary road at the site was built on dirt scooped up from Ground Zero. A crew working with forensic experts yesterday also found wallets, shoes and cash at previously unsearched manholes near West St. The medical examiner's office painstakingly sifted through debris using a mesh - a technique used on archeological digs. The new hunt for 9/11 remains was prompted by the stunning discovery Thursday of more than 80 bones - some as large as 10 inches long. The number of remains found yesterday was confirmed by Ellen Borakove, spokeswoman for the city medical examiner, although she could not confirm the size of the bones. Skyler said the crew includes members of the FDNY, Con Edison, Verizon and the Port Authority. Mayor Bloombag ordered city officials Friday to search all the manholes in the area, which were covered over in 2002 to create a temporary service road to The Pit. Furious family members of 9/11 victims said they had lost faith in the city's competence. "If they were capable of doing the job, it would have been done over the last five years," said Sally Regenhard, whose firefighter son, Christian, was one of 2,749 people who died on 9/11/01. He is one of the 1,150 victims whose remains have not been identified.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

October 23, 2006 -- The search for human remains at the World Trade Center site continued Monday after more than one hundred fragments and personal items were found in the last several days. A discovery by Con Ed workers doing routine excavation work on Thursday jump-started the search. The remains were found in a manhole along the western edge of the 16-acre site underneath a service road built in 2002. Six other manholes and utility cavities have been identified as places that may have been overlooked. Despite calls for construction at the site to stop, Bloombag said work will continue. "We're not going to shut down any construction," he said. "Construction is taking place on sites that have been thoroughly gone through and excavated, and we have to build for the future." Outraged family members want to know why the initial search was incomplete, and are now calling on the same federal agency who identifies remains of soldiers to join in the search. "We are not criticizing the work and the workers. We are criticizing the process, which is not working," said Diane Horning, whose son died on 9/11. "We have already got the best in the medical examiner's office, but you can't expect a fire fighter, as well intentioned as he might be, to have a skill level to find what an anthropologist could find," said Charles Wolf, whose wife died. "We have an anthropologist standing by at the Deutsche Bank building, but the problem there is that it has always been secondary. It has been if they run across them, we'll find it. It hasn't been primary. We need this ratcheted up to be primary."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

October 25, 2006 -- Workers found more human remains in a manhole next to Ground Zero that had been paved over after the attacks, officials said yesterday. Thirty-six more bone fragments from 1 to 6 inches long were discovered in the manhole on a West St. service road next to the former World Trade Center, officials said. Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the city medical examiner, said that brings the total to 150 remains found in a manhole that investigators believe was breached during the collapse of the towers. Nine manholes and three service boxes are being reinspected after Con Ed workers cleaning out the manhole made the surprise discovery late last week. So far, three manholes have been inspected, with six more to go. Some are buried many feet below the surface of the street. Work at the site was briefly put on hold Monday while the city tested the soil around the manholes for asbestos. The work resumed yesterday after the tests came back negative, officials said. Of the 2,749 people killed at Ground Zero on 9/11, 1,150 have not been officially identified by the discovery of remains.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

October 28, 2006 -- Stunned by the discovery of human remains near Ground Zero five years after the 9/11 terror attack, the city announced yesterday it will conduct a block-by-block search for more body parts in lower Manhattan.
    The year-long effort will include hundreds of subterranean vaults, three abandoned buildings and the rooftops of an office tower and a hotel. The decision to launch an expanded search comes after the grim surprises of last week, when more than 200 bone fragments and personal effects turned up in an abandoned manhole on the western edge of the World Trade Center site.

Search will include:

Some 400 manholes from Barclay St. to Albany St. and from Broadway to the western edge of the World Financial Center.

The roofs of the Millenium Hotel and 1 Liberty Plaza. Both contain roof ballast, large rocks that were cleaned but not searched for human remains.

Two Verizon manholes in the middle of West St. next to the Trade Center site. Skyler promised to minimize traffic headaches by "doing this in the middle of the night if we have to."

The site of the former St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at 140 Liberty St. Trade Center debris may be compacted under asphalt that was laid down after the disaster.

Three buildings that were abandoned after the attack: the former Deutsche Bank, the Borough of Manhattan Community College's Fiterman Hall and 130 Cedar St. The searches at Deutsche and Fiterman already were planned before the new initiative. More than 700 bone fragments were found in the ballast of the Deutsche Bank tower in September 2005, years after the building had been pronounced clear.

The sites announced yesterday are in addition to seven other Con Edison manholes and three service boxes buried under a service road on the western edge of the Pit that have been targeted for search. The city now says it will dig up most of the service road and expand the search to underground vaults on other nearby streets, including Washington and Cedar Sts.

Of the 2,749 people who died when the twin towers collapsed, the remains of 1,150 have never been identified.

Looking for more

City will search roof of Millenium Hotel and 1 Liberty Plaza, both on Church St.

City will search interior and roof of 130 Liberty St., 130 Cedar St. at southeast corner and Fiterman Hall.

City will excavate 140 Liberty St., a plot between Liberty, Washington, Cedar and West Sts.

City will excavate much of the service road parallel to West St. running into The Pit.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 3, 2006 -- The city must widen its search for human remains at the World Trade Center site, including a grassy area that officials say wasn't cleared properly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, victims' families said yesterday. More than 150 relatives, holding loved ones' photographs, rallied on the perimeter of Ground Zero to urge the city to call in a military unit to find remains. "We shouldn't have to rally. We shouldn't have to beg," said Robin Audiffred, who has no remains for her husband, James. "You need to make it right. You need to do whatever it takes at this point." A lawyer for the Sept. 11 families, Norman Siegel, said that workers digging into a dozen manholes along a service road on the site's western edge have to tear up the entire road because more remains could be beneath it. He said that a grassy area near construction of a subway line on the site also has to be searched. Two officials involved in recovery work said debris from the attacks made it impossible to go through the area completely during the original search.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 16, 2006 -- The city set a timetable yesterday for expanding its search for remains at the World Trade Center. Starting this week, workers will begin searching the rooftop of the Millenium Hotel. Once that is complete, in about two weeks, workers will move to the rooftop of 1 Liberty Plaza. Then in December, workers will begin searching the grounds of the former St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at 140 Liberty St. and a section of the street known as "haul road," because it was used by trucks during the original cleanup effort. Sources who worked at the site five years ago have told The Post they expect many remains to be found at the site of the Greek church, since it was paved over after it was destroyed.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 19, 2006 -- The Freedom Tower found its footing yesterday.
    Construction crews marked a major milestone in the redevelopment of Ground Zero, pouring the colossal concrete foundations for the central core of the 1,776-foot skyscraper. About 520 cubic yards of concrete - enough to cover a football field 31/2 inches deep - were trucked in from a plant in Queens and poured throughout the day, laying the groundwork for what many expect will become an iconic addition to lower Manhattan. "What we're doing here is not just building buildings, we're reclaiming New York City's skyline and making a testament to freedom," said John Cahill, a top adviser to Gov. Pataki. Hardhats started digging the foundation for the Freedom Tower in April, and the concrete foundation is scheduled to be completed during the next few weeks. Crews plan to begin installing giant steel columns - some of the largest in the world - by next month. The Freedom Tower, which is scheduled for completion in 2011, will be owned by the Port Authority under an agreement it finalized with World Trade Center site developer Larry Silverstein. Construction will continue through the winter, said Steve Plate, the chief engineer coordinating the behemoth project for the Port Authority. "This is history in the making," Plate said gleefully as concrete trucks rumbled by him in The Pit, about five stories below street level. By mid-2008, the lower levels of the skyscraper will begin to rise above street level, said Mel Ruffini, a project executive with Tishman Construction. "The men and women involved with this project are all dedicated to getting this building up as fast as possible," he said. Rebuilding at Ground Zero is expected to peak in 2009, when heavy steel and concrete work will be carried out simultaneously at the Freedom Tower and three other office towers.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 20, 2006 -- It's rising. The first steel columns were bolted into the foundation of the new Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center site yesterday, including two that were signed by hundreds of people. Gov. Pataki and Mayor Bloombag watched as a crane lifted a 25-ton steel column bearing the words "Freedom Tower" and workers bolted it into place. The construction crew cheered as the crane then lifted two other columns, both signed by hundreds of people last week in Virginia, where it was made, and at Ground Zero on Saturday. One of the workers was Brian Lyons, a superintendent with Tischman Construction Corp., which is building the 1,776-foot tower. His brother, Michael, was a firefighter who was killed on 9/11. Brian Lyons came to the smoking ruins that day to find him, and has been working at Ground Zero since. "I recovered his body right over there," he said, pointing to the south. "I feel closer to him when I'm here." Larry Silverstein, who is developing the site, said he's honored to have people like Lyons building the Freedom Tower. "It fills you with pride," he said. "They are so dedicated." The steel was produced in Luxembourg and then shipped to the Banker Steel Co. in Lynchburg, Va., where it was made into columns. Six more columns will be installed by the end of the year. "America's strength is evident in these columns of steel," said Pataki, on his last visit to Ground Zero as governor. "It's an emotional day," said Pataki, who leaves office on Dec. 31."There were good days and not so good days. But today is a great day. I'm extremely proud of what we've ended up with here."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

Default Thank you, E40!

I would like to thank you, E40, for keeping the nation's FF's abreast of the ongoing news at the WTC. Being in the NY area, we get to see it every day on the news and in newspapers. However, most of these guys outside the tri-state never get to see it.
    On a bit of a bitter sidenote, I find it appalling that threads debating the color of shyte can get 100 replies, but serious issues like this get nary a second glance.
    That's my rant and I'm stickin' to it.
    Please keep up the great work.

MembersZone Subscriber

It gets plenty of second glances. I've been following it since it started. It's just that us folks out in the sticks can't add much to it (speaking for myself, of course).

I made my first visit to Ground Zero last weekend. I was there for the beam signing, but didn't sign. The whole experience was more than moving; emotional beyond my expectations. The temporary 9/11 museum next door to Ten House just tore me up. Had to walk outside a couple times to pull myself back together. After that, I had an emotional hair trigger for the rest of the day. If y'all haven't been to Ground Zero yet...go.

Barry

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

October 21, 2007 -- SYRACUSE - Six years after she died in one of the planes that struck the twin towers, Laura Lee Morabito has been laid to rest. "It's somewhat surreal being in front of you after six years of my sister's death," said her brother Craig Defazio during a service at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Skaneateles in central New York. Friday's funeral was scheduled after Morabito's wedding ring was found and her remains, identified Sept. 12 through DNA testing, were returned to her family. Two memorial services had been held in 2001. This time, family members said, they would have the relief of burying her in St. Joseph's Cemetery near Auburn, N.Y. A military honor guard stood outside the church. Morabito, 34, was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11 out of Boston, which was hijacked by terrorists and crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center. She was a national sales manager for Qantas Airways. Her remains were found in the initial recovery effort but could not be linked to her with the DNA technology used at the time, according to the New York City medical examiner's office.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

This might not be the most appropriate forum for this but under
    the thread topic, maybe it is. I didn't know Brother Criscitiello, he sounds like he was like just about every other firefighter that was good at the job; a good guy, hands on, loved being with his family and the guys at work called him Joey Screwdriver because he was always fixing things around the firehouse. Sound familiar? Anyway, it said in his obit that he participated in the WTC recovery efforts. I don't know how involved the MFD was with the efforts but seeing how close Montclair is to Manhattan, probably pretty involved. Joseph Criscitiello was diagnosed on March 17 with gastric lymphoma, a “very rare” form of cancer that eventually caused his death.
    Is there any connection? I don't know; maybe, maybe not. Not my call but it seems that too many folks who were there are going away too soon.
    Like I said; I didn't know Joe but he was a Brother. I only grew up in Montclair, went to school there then left. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Jan and their son, Joseph, and his family.

JOSEPH J. CRISCITIELLO – 51 MONTCLAIR FIREFIGHTER

Mr. Joseph J. Criscitiello, 51, passed away on Saturday, October 20 at the Hackensack Medical Center, Hackensack. Arrangement made by the Biondi Funeral Home of Nutley, 540 Franklin Avenue. Relatives and friends are invited to attend a funeral Mass in his memory at Our Lady of the Lake Church, Verona at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 25. Cremation will be held privately. To send condolences, please visit www.biondifuneralhome.com and sign the Guest Book.

Mr. Criscitiello was born in Newark and lived in Verona for 20 years. He was a Firefighter with the Township of Montclair, Truck #1 for 18 years. He was also a truck driver with Zimmerman Oil Company, Montclair. Mr. Criscitiello participated in the 9/11 Recovery Efforts, and was a member of the FMBA Local #20, Montclair.

Mr. Criscitiello is survived by his loving wife of 25 years Janyce (nee Nicastro) Criscitiello; his son Joseph Criscitiello; his sisters Antoinette Borkowski, Denise Grill, and Gina D’Alessio; his brother Thomas, and his father Thomas Criscitiello. He is the son-in-law of Ralph Nicastro and his wife Helen; and brother-in-law of Gayle Nicastro. He was predeceased by his mother Margaret (nee Pagano) Criscitiello; his mother-in-law Evelyn Nicastro; and his brother-in-law Ralph Nicastro.

Donations in Joseph’s memory can be made to the Hackensack University Medical Center Foundation Cancer Center, 20 Prospect Avenue, Hackensack NJ 07601.

E40FDNYL35; you doing a good thing by continuing to get the word out, keep it up. Once again; be safe out there, Brothers and let's get everybody home.

Lt. David Walters
    Miami Fire Rescue

Thread Information