Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wtc News

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

My deepest condolences to the Criscitiello family and the Montclair Fire Department for their loss.

Sleep with angels, Joey.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 16, 2007 -- The city has identified a second September 11, 2001 victim from human remains found in the past year buried underneath a service road at the World Trade Center site, officials said Friday. More than 400 human bone pieces have been recovered from beneath the service road that carried cleanup and construction trucks in and out of the site after the 2001 terrorist attacks. The search at the spot began in October 2006 when utility workers found over 80 bones in a manhole in the service road, and it has since spread to other manholes, underneath a highway and onto nearby rooftops. The city identified the first victim from remains found in the road in July, along with a victim identified from remains found in an abandoned, contaminated skyscraper across from ground zero. The family had not authorized the release of the name of the latest victim, the city medical examiner's office said. More than 1,800 of the 21,000 body parts recovered from ground zero have been found in the last two years in and around the trade center site. Still, more than 40 percent of the 2,749 people killed at the site have not been identified, because the bones recovered were too degraded and damaged by heat and time. The city has been using updated technology to try and re-extract DNA to make new identifications.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks for the update, Ray.

Never Forget.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 16, 2007 -- City officials completed the excavation of the World Trade Center area this week, recovering 1,772 human remains, but vowed to continue searching as they rebuild the site. "At no point in the near future would it be prudent to declare this search 'over,'" Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler, who is overseeing the effort, wrote to Mayor Bloomberg Tuesday. But the city will close its year-old recovery facility on Water St. in Brooklyn and replace it with a mobile unit that will be deployed to the site when something suspect is seen. "I don't have faith that they're doing this search in a thorough way," said Diane Horning, whose son Matthew was killed in the Sept. 11 attacks. "In anthropological searches, they use toothbrushes and paintbrushes to find remains, not bulldozers." The roving unit will include two tractor-trailers for sifting remains, a flatbed and a smaller trailer, Skyler said. The medical examiner's office will keep workers at the site to flag any remains found during rebuilding efforts. The city widened its search of Ground Zero and surrounding streets in October 2006 after 80 bones were uncovered in a buried Con Edison manhole. The remains, often small bone fragments, were found at 130 Liberty St., 55 Church St., 130 Cedar St., Fiterman Hall and other places. The medical examiner's office, which finished its search Monday, also has unearthed 602 remains in the Haul Road area. Just yesterday, the office announced that another victim had been identified by remains found at Haul Road, but a name was not released. Of the 2,750 who died during the Trade Center attacks, there are 1,133 people whose remains still haven't been identified.

The search cost $38 million, $8 million more than the city had budgeted.

Lawmakers and firefighters rallied near Ground Zero Saturday to push for treatment centers for World Trade Center responders who live outside of New York - a program that is in jeopardy. The feds called off the search last week for a contractor to process medical reimbursements for those responders, a key step in establishing clinics around the country for workers who fell ill after toiling at the toxic site. Officials said it was canceled because bidders were confused by program requirements and because cost estimates had ballooned. But local lawmakers fear the move shows a lack of commitment by the White House. "The feds are still being dragged to the table to help out 9/11 responders. I think they should be leading the way instead of stepping in the way," said Rep. Vito Fossella (R-S.I./Brooklyn). Fossella was joined by fellow Congress members Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan) and Jerrold Nadler (D-Manhattan) and by the firefighters union in urging the Department of Health and Human Services to reverse its decision. "It smells badly that it is being canceled because of conflicting reasons," said Fossella, adding the HHS had once called the program essential to help ailing 9/11 responders.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 12-16-2007 at 06:59 AM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Freedom Tower cornerstone is rocked by betrayal

July 4th, 2008 -- This Fourth of July, 20 tons of beautifully polished national disgrace will be sitting in the work lot of a Long Island stone company.

"TO HONOR AND REMEMBER THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2001, AND AS A TRIBUTE TO THE ENDURING SPIRIT OF FREEDOM. - JULY FOURTH 2004," the inscription reads.

The second date marks the day this block of granite was laid with great ceremony as the cornerstone of the new Freedom Tower at Ground Zero.

"Today, we, the heirs of that revolutionary spirit of defiance, lay this cornerstone and unmistakably signal to the world the unwavering strength of this nation and our resolve to fight for freedom," then-Gov. George Pataki solemnly declared that day. "Today, we build the Freedom Tower."
    What ensued was senseless squabbling, near-criminal incompetence and bald-faced lies, all of which constituted a betrayal of the murdered innocents the stone purported to honor. After two years, the stone was deemed to be in the way of the changing plans for the site. Early on the morning of June 23, 2006, it was loaded onto a flatbed truck, reveiled with a tarp and driven 45 miles back to Innovative Stone in Hauppauge, L.I. The company had donated the garnet-flecked stone and done the polishing and inscribing free, another example of the spirit of true goodness that filled so many Americans in the aftermath of the monstrous attack. No doubt more than one suburban homeowner who came to Innovative Stone for a counter for a kitchen or a bathroom was surprised to behold the inscribed cornerstone sitting in a corner of the company's work lot. Many of the scoundrels who betrayed the murdered innocents are gone, but the stone still sits at Innovative. And the new people in charge of Ground Zero do not seem entirely sure when we really will build the Freedom Tower. When we truly are ready to commence construction, we should contract the good people at Innovative to build a new, equally exquisite stone. However beautiful the original stone may be, it has been dishonored by the shameless grandstanding by Pataki and his ilk.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 6, 2008-- The Port Authority has spent $150 million on plans for the new World Trade Center transit hub - and last week's decision to scrap the retractable roof could add another $30 million to the price tag, The Post has learned.

The pricey plan is "one of the worst abuses" in the botched redevelopment of Ground Zero, and Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava's proposal for moveable "wings" overhead was the biggest boondoggle in the blueprints, a former government official with knowledge of the situation told The Post.

"It was an absurd idea from the start," said the source, who estimated that re-engineering the roof could add $30 million to the plan's price tag.

Calatrava's flight of fancy took off after he flattered officials by treating them as his artistic "patrons" - going so far as to present signed charcoal sketches to then-Gov. Eliot Spitzer and then-PA Executive Director Anthony Shorris, the former official said.

The architect's original plan would have let the mechanical wings open up over the glass-and-steel station on nice days, and also on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

But last week, PA Executive Director Christopher Ward announced that the roof would be redesigned to replace the wings with removable panels, as part of a package of cost-cutting measures to bring the station's price tag down to $2.5 billion.

The new transit hub was initially budgeted at $2.2 billion, but estimates have since soared to $3.4 billion. The massive station will serve riders on the New Jersey PATH system and the subway's 1, 9, A, N and R lines and potentially provide a rail link to JFK Airport. Ward's clipping of the station's wings came a day after he revealed that nearly every project in the $16 billion Ground Zero rebuilding effort was behind schedule and over budget.

Calatrava did not respond to a request for comment but last week issued a statement saying his firm was "continuing to work collaboratively to find potential changes that will save time and money while preserving the integrity of the original design."

A PA spokesman said reconfiguring the roof wouldn't add more than $3 million to the design bill and will save at least $50 million in construction costs.

The change will also allow for tens of millions in construction savings in other parts of the station, spokesman Marc LaVorgna said.

Earlier this year, the PA paid developer Larry Silverstein $14.4 million in late fees for missing a Jan. 1 deadline to excavate the foundations for Towers 3 and 4, which were finished 48 days late. And on Tuesday, it began paying Silverstein another $300,000 a day for blowing the deadline to finish the foundation for Tower 2.

The PA says that work won't be done until August, which means total fees of between $9 million and $19 million.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default The Seven Blunders Of Ground Zero

July 6, 2008 -- Problems? They have a few. Here are seven factors that led the Port Authority last week to scrap its timetable for rebuilding Ground Zero - and that may explain why, by 2011, a decade after 9/11, the site could still be a hole in the ground:

1 The design competition: The Lower Manhattan Development Corp.'s first World Trade Center design competition, with six plans culled from thousands of submissions, was a failure, forcing it to start the process all over again. Not until Feb. 26, 2003, did the agency finally select Daniel Libeskind's plan. The delays in picking a plan added as much as a year to getting the project started.

2 Unrealistic architecture: The Freedom Tower, rising to 1,776 feet, turned out to be one of the most vexing architectural elements of the plan, with more than two years elapsing between its initial design and a final plan. Designed by Libeskind, and later a collaboration with architect David Childs, the tower - with its off-center spire, rooftop gardens and wind turbines - proved too difficult to build. By June 2005, prompted by NYPD concerns over security, the entire design was replaced. Despite the laying of a cornerstone on July 4, 2004, construction of the tower didn't begin until April 2006. Its completion date was last set at 2012.

3 Bickering over the memorial: Once the decision was made on how much space at the WTC would be devoted to a memorial, and following an intense design competition won by architect Michael Arad, costs for the project skyrocketed to $1 billion. Outraged by the cost overruns, Mayor Bloomberg intervened, and a massive overhaul of the memorial was ordered by Gov. George Pataki to slash the cost to about $510 million.

4 The Silverstein vs. Bloomberg feud: In early 2006, with barely any progress made, open warfare erupted between Ground Zero developer Larry Silverstein and Mayor Bloomberg, who accused Silverstein of being unable to complete the rebuilding. The feud led to bitter and protracted negotiations, which ultimately shifted principal control of the project back to the WTC's owner, the PA. Silverstein agreed to retain control of three office towers, while sharing some of his insurance proceeds with the PA.

5 A flawed hub: Designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, the wing-like train station ran into serious trouble last year when the PA announced that the project could exceed its $2.2 billion estimate by more than $1 billion. Engineers have been working to cut costs, but the delays have affected almost all the other WTC projects.

6 Insurance settlements: Despite court decisions ordering them to pay $4.6 billion to Silverstein, who was the leaseholder on the site, the major insurance carriers dragged their feet for years. Not until May 2007, following pressure from Gov. Eliot Spitzer, did the insurers finally pay up.

7 Unfinished search for bodies: After the WTC-site cleanup was declared complete in May 2002, construction crews began turning up large quantities of human remains as rebuilding work began in earnest in 2006. The discovery of remains so long after the cleanup was done slowed rebuilding for months.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 07-06-2008 at 06:36 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

What a sad state of affairs.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Back In Black

Who can set this right?

Or is this such a bureaucratic boondoggle that it will take decades to get it "right"?

Thanks for the information.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

That's awful. It's sad that they can't organise themselves better than that. Quite rightly they want to get it right (at least we hope they do!)
    Here we are two months shy of the seventh anniversary and the world trade centre is still a world famous building site. I hope they complete it in my lifetime. Maybe I didn't need to comment on this thread. It's not really my place to say anything.
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

The name of a doctor last seen near the Twin Towers a day before the 2001 terror attacks is now on the list of World Trade Center victims, the city's medical examiner office said Thursday. The death certificate showing Dr. Sneha Anne Philip, 31, of Battery Park City, died in the 2001 terror attacks was issued by the examiner's office, said Ellen Borokove, a spokeswoman for the agency. Thursday capped a years-long struggle by Philip's husband and family to have her recognized as a Ground Zero victim. Philip's body was never found, and no clear-cut evidence links her to Ground Zero. With Sneha Anne Philip, the number of victims is now 2,751.

My she finally Rest in Peace.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Man, what a mess.

Can someone step in and take control like a non-related 3rd party that has no emotional connection to the site? It's obvious the mayor and governor (Ding & Dong) can't get things right.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Saturday, July 19th 2008 -- The families of September 11, 2001 victims will be allowed to return to Ground Zero this year, the seventh anniversary of the terrorist attacks, to mourn their loved ones, Port Authority officials said Friday. The decision was a relief for family members who had been told last year they could not go back to the site while rebuilding continued. Many tearfully touched the ground at the base of the destroyed World Trade Center towers on September 11, 2007, believing it would be their last chance for years to visit the ground where their loved ones died.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 19, 2008 --The “Survivors' Staircase” was placed back at the World Trade Center site Saturday. Crews used a crane to lower the structure into its permanent home, outside the future memorial museum. The staircase, which once connected the plaza outside the Twin Towers to the street below, became the primary escape route for many survivors on 9/11. In March, the structure was temporarily moved to street level to make way for construction.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

So Ray.....I'm confused.

How can then NOT let families visit the site?

Would they be arrested or removed? How they hell can they enforce that???
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    So Ray.....I'm confused.

How can then NOT let families visit the site?

Would they be arrested or removed? How they hell can they enforce that???
    do to the work being done, there was no way the P.A. would let the families gone down there. now that the P.A. is so behind with the work P.A. officials had to give access to the pit. and yes you would get locked up for trespassing.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, I can't believe they would do such a thing. Not to even honor their lost or let the families get together. I would think if they didn't let them, they would have a riot on their hands.

Thanks for the info Ray, and the updates too. It's nice to have an inside scoop that isn't on the national news.

Stay safe bro!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

July 25, 2008 -- The city scored a double dose of post-9/11 assistance from the feds yesterday - indemnity for future judgments won by Ground Zero responders and a $30 million payment for health services related to the attacks. Protection against potential litigation by cops, firefighters, city employees and construction workers is a big win for Mayor Bloomberg, who privately lobbied House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for a revised 9/11 Health and Compensation Act. "This bill recognizes that 9/11 was an attack on the nation, not just New York City, and that caring for the sick and compensating those harmed is a national responsibility," Bloomberg said last night. The move comes as the Centers for Disease Control announced it would give $30 million to as many as three Big Apple hospitals or clinics to treat downtown residents and students sickened by toxic debris. Julie Gerberding, director of the Atlanta-based federal agency, called the amount "our good-faith estimate, and if we're wrong, we will adjust."

Meanwhile, it was announced that the NYPD would oversee security operations at Ground Zero, with 600 officers to patrol the site and screen all vehicle and foot traffic. The Port Authority, which relented in its turf war with the Police Department, will look after the PATH train station and be responsible for installing and maintaining security equipment
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Cost of 9/11 memorial and museum at Ground Zero expected to hit $1 billion

August 15, 2008 -- The cost of the September 11 memorial and museum at Ground Zero is expected to soar past $1 billion. That's a hefty 65% increase over the $610 million price tag that planners have repeatedly cited for the last two years. Budget-busting delays on other interrelated projects at the 16-acre site have jacked up the cost of the National Sept. 11th Memorial & Museum and yanked back the timetable for completion, insiders say. The bottom line: The museum may not open until 2013 or 2014, and it will take a miracle to fully open the memorial plaza that will honor nearly 3,000 innocents slaughtered at the World Trade Center in time for the 10th anniversary in 2011. Several survivors of the terror attack and relatives of the dead are starting to wonder if they'll even be around for the ribbon cuttings. "I'm 73, and I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see the memorial open," said Jack Lynch, who helped carry the body of his firefighter son, Michael, (Engine 40), out of the rubble of the south tower. "Lots of older people who lost loved ones are simply not going to make it." Sekou Siby, who worked as a cook at Windows on the World, where 73 workers died, said, "We don't understand the cost overruns or the delays. All we understand is there's a big expensive hole in the ground where a memorial should be." Asked about the $1 billion sticker price, Stephen Sigmund, the Port Authority's chief spokesman, declined to address the cost specifics. At stake is Reflecting Absence, the heart and soul of Ground Zero, where cascading waterfalls will thunder into two massive pools in the footprints of the twin towers and a subterranean museum will display 9/11 artifacts and relate the horrors of the day. The issue of who will pay - and how much - flared up at a Port Authority board meeting yesterday when Chairman Anthony Coscia was asked about a jump in the price of building the 8-acre remembrance. Noting that the agency is already ponying up $150 million for the memorial's infrastructure, plus a $45 million contingency fund, he slammed the door on providing more cash. The $195 million, Coscia said, is the "total sum and finality of our financial commitment to the project." Asked about Coscia's comments, Lynn Rasic, a vice president of the memorial, said, "If there are additional costs, we would expect to work with the Port Authority, which is managing the construction, to minimize them and identify funding to cover them." Where does the money come from? The memorial has raised $350 million, including $70 million for planning and development; the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. has kicked in $317.4 million, including a $45 million reserve fund; the Empire State Development Corp. has coughed up another $80 million. Add in the Port Authority's $195 million and the tally is $942.4 million so far. The $1 billion threshold is crossed because the original budget was based on completing the project by 2009, and skyrocketing prices for steel, concrete and crude oil will force up costs by $25 million to $65 million for each year of delay.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default and

August 15, 2008 -- Facing the prospect of rapidly rising costs to rebuild Ground Zero, officials at the Port Authority yesterday said the bi-state agency won't contribute a penny more than the $195 million they've already pledged toward construction of the 9/11 Memorial. After a massive redesign two years ago, the memorial's foundation, led by Mayor Bloomberg, was left to cover the remaining $530 million for construction of the eight-acre, tree-lined plaza, giant reflecting pools and a museum beneath the plaza.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default so

August 15, 2008 -- Families of Sept. 11 victims were rebuffed again yesterday in their attempt to hold Saudi Arabia and its rulers legally responsible for the terror attacks.A Manhattan federal appeals court backed a ruling by a lower court judge over two years ago that threw out a lawsuit by the families, including that of a former FBI agent, seeking damages for the thousands of deaths caused by the attacks. In a ruling by a three-judge panel, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit found that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, four Saudi princes, a Saudi banker and the Saudi commission responsible for disbursing funds to charities were protected from lawsuits under U.S. law. The lawsuit was filed against the Saudis, Osama bin Laden, various banks and suspected terrorists as a class action. The ruling only throws out the case against the Saudis. Under the sovereign immunity doctrine, foreign governments and officials can't be sued in the United States except for damages in auto accidents and other torts, commercial activity or state sponsorship of terrorism. The appeals panel said none of those exceptions applied in the Sept. 11 lawsuit. In particular, the terrorism exception isn't relevant to the Saudis because "The Kingdom has not been designated a state sponsor of terrorism by the United States," said the court. Jerry S. Goldman, the Manhattan attorney for the family of former FBI terror expert John P. O'Neill, who died at the World Trade Center where he was security director, strongly disagreed with the decision. "If the driver from the Saudi embassy sideswipes somebody on the Long Island Expressway you can sue, but if they help people kill 3,000 people in lower Manhattan and a field in Pennsylvania and the Pentagon ... they can walk away from it," said Goldman. Goldman said the plaintiffs will appeal and believe the Saudis gave financial support to the hijackers. Michael Kellogg, the attorney for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, couldn't be reached. Sally Regenhard of the Bronx, whose probationary firefighter son Christian died at the trade center, said the ruling will keep the public from learning about the Saudi connection to the terrorists.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

August 21, 2008 -- Government investigators have issued a report refuting conspiracy theories that a skyscraper next to the twin towers was brought down by explosives. The report says that fires destroyed World Trade Center 7 on September 11. Scientists with the National Institute of Standards and Technology say their three-year investigation of the collapse of the 47-story building was the first known instance of fire causing the total failure of a skyscraper. The investigators also conclude that the collapse of the nearby twin towers broke the city water main, leaving the sprinkler system in WTC 7 without water. The collapse of building 7 has long been the subject of conspiracy theories that something else brought down the tower.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

September 1, 2008 -- Hundreds of fallen heroes still aren't getting the recognition they deserve, nearly seven years after 9/11, two politicians charged Sunday. City Councilman David Weprin (D-Queens) and state Sen. Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn) want the medical examiner to identify first responders who died as a result of their work at Ground Zero and reclassify them as victims of the terrorist attacks. "Those individuals who spent many days, weeks and months at Ground Zero are heroes, and they should be recognized as such," Weprin said. Adams introduced a bill in the Senate that would force the medical examiner to reclassify the deaths. Those who died from respiratory ailments and other conditions in the aftermath of the attacks are listed as having died natural deaths. Declaring that they died in the line of duty would entitle their families to additional death benefits.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

September 4, 2008-- After Kenny Johannemann shot himself, relatives found a letter on White House stationery in the one-room apartment he shared only with his cat.

October 31, 2001
    Dear Kenny,
    We send you our heartfelt thanks and the thanks of a grateful Nation for your selfless efforts in responding to the tragic events of Sept. 11. Your actions in the midst of this national tragedy were truly heroic. Your saving a man who was on fire by dragging him out of an elevator and getting him to an ambulance reflected the best of the American spirit.

Sincerely,
    George Bush and Laura Bush

Johannemann was a part-time janitor assigned to clean rest rooms in the north tower on 9/11 and was, indeed, credited with saving a man. His family says that day changed him, that he became withdrawn and began drinking heavily, falling in and out of work. Twelve days before the seventh anniversary of the day he saved a life, Johannemann took his own. The police then vouchered another letter, the suicide note the 43-year-old wrote on Sunday afternoon, shortly before the 5 p.m. deadline his landlord had set for him to vacate for nonpayment of rent.

"The reason I killed myself was 'cause I was getting evicted and I can't handle being homeless. I also am very depressed since I was in 9/11. I've been drinking way too much and it's ruined my life. I've lost friends and family over drinking and I'm very lonely. There is nothing left for me to be happy about other than my cat. Sounds weird, but it's true. I just wanted to say sorry 2 any people I ever hurt in my life. I really was a good person when I wasn't drinking. I hope people remember that!

Goodbye!!!

Kenny Johannemann"

On a separate sheet was a plea: "Please find my cat a home. His name is Papa-Boy and he's a very special cat." The police brought Papa-Boy to the 122nd Precinct stationhouse on Staten Island. The tabby was trembling when one of Johannemann's cousins, Gerald Maya, picked him up. Maya also collected Johannemann's cell phone. He dialed every number in it to pass on the tragic news. "Everybody I called on his cell phone said, 'I would have given him the money. The guy was beautiful.'" Maya said Wednesday. "Nothing bad on this man." Maya had offered Johannemann a place to stay, as had another cousin who lived nearby. Johannemann had declined. "I really can't tell you why," Maya said. The other cousin, Joseph Maya, spoke of the Johannemann before 9/11; a man who seemed content in his work and who delighted in his extended family. "He had a job and he was happy," Joseph Maya said. Johannemann often said he might have been killed on 9/11 had he not stopped to get a cup of coffee just before the plane hit. Otherwise, he might have been on an elevator when a jet crashed and flaming fuel poured down the shaft. Instead, he was waiting for an elevator when he heard a huge bang and the doors burst open. A man tumbled out on fire and Johannemann helped him to an ambulance. "He was burned up bad but he was still alive," Johannemann told People magazine. In the aftermath, Johannemann appeared on the "Jenny Jones Show" and received the letter from the White House. Privately, the hero became a reclusive alcoholic. "He just started backing away and not bothering with anyone," Joseph Maya recalled. He avoided family, even on the holidays he had always loved. He seemed convinced he was friendless and alone. "He said he had nobody, but meanwhile everybody loved him," Joseph Maya said. In May, he moved into a single room on Rome Ave. He landed a job as a custodian at a Manhattan museum two weeks ago, but he had fallen two months behind on his rent. The landlord, Anthony Mallazzi, told him to be out by 5 p.m. Sunday. As the deadline neared, one of Mallazzi's sons heard a sound like a popping paper bag. Mallazzi arrived home soon afterward and went to see if his tenant had moved out. The door was open. "I said, 'Kenny? Kenny?'" Mallazzi recalled. Mallazzi entered and saw Johannemann. Nearby lay the two letters, the one on White House stationery and the suicide note. "He was a 9/11 hero," Mallazzi said Wednesday. "He saved a person on 9/11." Mallazzi paused. "Who the hell's to blame?" Mallazzi said. "I feel a little guilty. Everybody feels a little guilty." On Wednesday, Johannemann was waked at a Brooklyn funeral home. Papa-Boy was at the cousin's house, cowering in corners, but beginning to venture out. "At least he stopped shaking," Gerald Maya said.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

The suffering of 9/11 will continue for many, many years to come............
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Thread Information