Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wtc News

July 16, 2009 -- The Port Authority's latest offer to increase its financial support for Larry Silverstein's World Trade Center office towers by $1.2 billion doesn't go far enough for the developer -- making it all but certain the stalled negotiations will go to arbitration next week. In exchange for increasing their share of the financing for Tower 2, PA officials insist it must be matched by $625 million from Silverstein. Janno Lieber, of Silverstein's World Trade Center Properties, told members of Community Board 1 that credit is "just not available."
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

August 6, 2009 -- Ground Zero's projects lag far beyond schedule and the area is a giant construction site, but enough concrete has been poured over 2,400 tons of steel near the towers' footprints to permit special access for the families, officials say. Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward revealed that the upper level of the plaza would be temporarily opened during the morning's commemoration ceremonies. "We have made enough progress on the memorial that the 9/11 family members will be allowed to walk out onto the Memorial Plaza for the first time during this September's anniversary - something few thought would be possible this time last year," Ward said in a letter to Gov. Paterson. On the seventh anniversary in 2008, families were ushered down the long construction ramp into the pit below for the somber ceremony. Since then, the ramp has been removed, The Pit is being transformed, more than 70% of the memorial's steel is in place and the pools, parapets and plazas are quickly taking shape, officials say. Ward's upbeat assessment came the day after the Daily News disclosed a secret government report that predicted every blockbuster project at the site would be years behind schedule.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

FYI -- Eight years ago, a terrorist attack levelled the twin towers of the World Trade Centre, yet, according to a new study, even years later, it continues to cause new cases of asthma and post-traumatic stress. Asthma and post-traumatic stress disorder years after the World Trade Centre disaster, continues to trouble and traumatise the passersby, tourists and commuters who chanced to be in the area at the time the towers fell. Over 71,000-people, were exposed to the fire, smoke and debris mushrooming over lower Manhattan on 11th September 2001, and scientists finding the lingering effects, predict problems will continue to persist far into the future. The largest post-disaster database compiled in U. S. history, the registry is the first non-combat data scientists are using to discover how a single incident can result in ongoing physical and mental health issues. Post-traumatic stress symptoms are not only real, they continue to be pervasive, as well. An estimated 25,000 people in the World Trade Centre Health Registry have developed asthma, with 61,000 reporting post-traumatic stress symptoms, with a small number of them also having asthma. For many, especially passersby, tourists and others at Ground Zero, post-traumatic symptoms have worsened over time, researchers say. Registrants answered questions online, on a mail-in form, or by telephone, with the study, covering years from 2006 and 2007. It is the first of WTC studies that details symptoms that are persisting so many years after the disaster. Investigators reported their findings in the Journal of the American Medical Association, an issue devoted to the effects of violence on the human condition.

Some of the study’s findings are as follows:

· 10% of participants with no history of asthma reported a new asthma diagnosis during the follow-up survey.

· Intense dust cloud exposure was linked with an increased risk of asthma. Of those with a new diagnosis of asthma, 19% reported intense dust exposure vs. about 10% without exposure.

· Risk for asthma was highest among rescue-recovery workers.

· Residents who did not evacuate reported higher asthma rates than those who did.

· Passersby had the highest levels of symptoms (23%) and residents the lowest (16%).

· Spouse loss related to the attack was also associated with symptoms of traumatic stress.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

August 20, 2009 -- The two giant waterfalls that will thunder into the abyss where the World Trade Center once stood will open in time for the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, the Port Authority vowed Wednesday. Described as the biggest manmade falls in North America, the twin torrents will drop 46 feet in two stages into two reflecting pools in the inner void that will be the heart and soul of Ground Zero. "It's not a pit anymore," said Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward. "With all the progress that is taking place on the site, it's not even Ground Zero anymore." In testimony before the City Council, Ward said the falls and fountains will be fully flowing by 2011 - and that 75% of the swamp white oak trees that will grace the Memorial Plaza will be planted. It will be a somber place for mourning and remembrance: Each cascade will drop 40,000 gallons of water per minute into twin reflecting pools in the footprints of the twin towers - and each pool will hold some 165,000 gallons of water. The subterranean Memorial Museum, which will display 9/11 artifacts and relate the horrors of the worst day in U.S. history, will open in 2012, Ward said. The news about "Reflecting Absence," the memorial's official name, came moments after City Councilman Alan Gerson (D-Manhattan) had tough words about delays that have plagued the site: "It's incomprehensible and unforgivable that not a single project at the World Trade Center site has been completed," he said.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

August 24, 2009 --It became a makeshift memorial to the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Now a massive steel column has been returned to ground zero as a symbol of rebirth. After more than seven years in storage at a hangar at Kennedy International Airport, the 58-ton, 36-foot-tall beam was delivered before dawn Monday to the World Trade Center site. Column No. 1,0001 B of 2 World Trade Center, as it's officially known, will become part of the planned National Sept. 11 Memorial & Museum, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site. Dubbed the "Last Column," it became the final standing steel column removed from ground zero, and a steel canvas for tributes from recovery workers and victims' families. It was adorned with firehouse patches, police logos and union stickers, and spray-painted with the shorthand messages FDNY 343,PAPD 37, and NYPD 23 and in honor of firefighters, Port Authority and city police officers who died in the 2001 attacks. It was cut down, wrapped in black muslin and an American flag, and taken out as part of a ceremony marking the end of recovery efforts on May 30, 2002.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

WASHINGTON - A group of Sept. 11 responders finally got an answer from the White House to their plea for help: a thank you card.

A year ago, members of the Fealgood Foundation delivered that plea to the future President and other lawmakers in a DVD telling the tale of four ailing heroes. One of the four, Greg Quibell, had just died of 9/11-linked leukemia. Another, former FDNY firefighter John McNamara, died of cancer last month. They wanted to show Congress why it must pass the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, an $8.4 billion bill to help ailing Sept. 11 workers. But the act has languished. What the responders have gotten are thank you's, not just from the White House, but from members of Congress who also got copies of "Save the Brave." "One congressman's office sent it back with a letter that said we're sorry, we don't accept gifts," said John Feal, who lost half his foot at Ground Zero. Feal got the note from the White House saying "Thank you for your kind gift" last week. Quibell's widow, Theresa, said the off-tone response was "disturbing," but would forgive it if the President delivers. "My God, at least take care of these guys now," she said. Adminstration officials say Obama remains committed to those who answered the call on Sept. 11, and the days after. He reaffirmed his pledge Friday in the Daily News. Congressional leaders insist they're committed as well, and the House could finish its bill this month - and vote by November. Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan) blamed the glacial pace on the GOP. "The previous administration denied there was even a problem," she said. Rep. Pete King (R-Nassau) called it a bipartisan disgrace. "This is a clear breach of faith by the government," he said. "This is the same as leaving people on the battlefield." Even if the House passes a bill, the Senate has barely started. "We have an undeniable moral obligation," said Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, who is sponsoring the Senate bill. "I am optimistic that with President Obama in the White House and a Democratic Congress we can ... act." After eight years, 9/11's heroes are left with little more than thank-you notes - and pain. "The only gift I've received was the gift of cancer," said former FDNY firefighter Kenny Specht, who battled the disease in his thyroid. "I don't need a letter thanking me for my gift." New Yorkers want something more tangible. "My son is dying," said Stephen Grossman after visiting his son, Robert, 41, in the hospital where the ex-cop is losing a battle to cancer. "Whatever passes through Congress will be too late for him. I hope it's not too late for other people."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

That's so disheartening.

Ray, I just got finished watching the Gaudet brothers 9/11 documentary that you sent me. Bawled my freakin' eyes out. Lord only knows why I thought I was ready to watch it. But I had to continue even though I was sobbing hard enough to give myself a headache ... I felt I needed to finish it in honor of the 343 firefighters and others killed September 11th and who have lost their battle in the eight years since. And for those who survived and are living with the pain daily. NEVER FORGET.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Default FYI -- The 2009 Annual Report on 9/11 Health

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thank you Ray for supplying us with that link to the report.

I think it's going to get much worse as time goes on. I read the entire thing and it mentioned PTSD but they didn't mention the impact of it related to the suicide rate if it went up, went down, or stayed the same. Also, why is only 80% of the FDNY claims approved and covered? That my friend is BS!

So now what is the mayor going to do with report?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Leading New York attorney, Michael Block, Esq. a New York fire fighter litigation lawyer from the law firm of - Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo P.C. says that New York City’s position is an insult to the men and women who got the job done during the time when we all needed them most. Manhattan, New York (NewYorkInjuryNews.com-Press Report) — New York City has taken the position that the City and the contractors who were in charge of the clean-up are immune to lawsuits filed by workers that claimed that they’ve contracted respiratory illnesses during the cleanup at the World Trade Center site. They claim that laws enacted during the height of the cold war with the Soviet Union give them absolute protection against liability claims, amongst other claims of immunity.That position is an insult to the men and women who got the job done during the time when we all needed them most. Although the United States District Court assigned to this case wanted to let pre-trial proceedings get underway, the City and the contractors obtained a stay of all litigation from an appeals court until it rules on their claim that they have absolute governmental immunity. What is most frustrating is that the City is holding captive a $1 billion insurance fund that was established by the Federal Emergency Management Agency as liability protection for the city. Amazingly, the city has not settled any claims for any of the workers. Instead, this money is being used to pay attorney fees to lawyers for the city and its contractors who still deny that there might be a connection between the lung damage and the other diseases that so many of the workers are now suffering from after having been exposed to so many toxins while working at ground zero. The City continues to talk out of two sides of its mouth: In the courtroom, it argues that the Fund was not intended to be a pile of money waiting to be distributed to the workers. In front of the media, the City spins things to create an impression that it has only the victims and the health of our citizens in mind.

Contributor: Michael Block, Esq. - New York Fire Fighter Litigation Attorney - Mr. Block has been general counsel to the Uniformed Firefighters Association, the 8,000 plus member labor union representing New York City firefighters

Sullivan Papain Block McGrath & Cannavo, P.C.
    Manhattan Office
    120 Broadway - 18th Floor
    New York, NY 10271
    Phone: 212-732-9000
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thank You...NEVER FORGET
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

NY Daily News -- Death of 9/11/01 Firefighter Jim Ryan
    They didn't find that out until early Christmas morning 2009, eight years later, when the firefighter's lungs finally overfilled with fluids, the side-effects of pancreatic cancer inflicted on him by the toxic dust he swallowed in hundreds of hours at WTC Ground Zero.

Ryan answered the call of duty on 9/11/01, then went beyond, returning to the blasted ground for months. First, he hunted survivors, then victims, then just fragments of people - his FDNY brothers among them - whose lives and bodies were shattered that day.

He didn't realize how his own life was being shattered. Officials said the air was safe. He got cancer in 2006 that the Fire Department said came from the poison rubble. He beat it once. He couldn't beat it a second time, as a 48-year-old father of three.

On Christmas Eve, he tried to be himself, optimistic, helping with the morning dishes in his Kings Park, L.I., home as if he were not dying. By then, though, he had been off his cancer treatments since November because they no longer worked.

"That's just the way he is," his wife, Magda, said Christmas night, hours after her husband lost his final struggle.

That's the way most real heroes are, but there were no national headlines the next day mourning a hero firefighter's death, the way there were on Sept. 12, 2001, when 343 of Ryan's brethren met their ends.

The news yesterday was instead full of a botched airline terror attempt.

According to the reports, a young Nigerian man on a plane landing in Detroit had attempted to set ablaze chemicals taped to his leg. He burned himself, and achieved an effect like popping firecrackers before a passenger tackled him.

A flash and some smoke and some fear, and the whole world cared.

The suspected terrorist failed. He killed no one, unlike the monsters of 9/11, whose grim tally keeps climbing. Now including James Ryan.

He is a victim of the same killers who slammed the planes into the twin towers, the same killers who may be behind the Detroit flameout.

Yet for him, and for other recent 9/11 casualties like the NYPD's James Zadroga and the FDNY's John McNamara, our attention and care is selective. They didn't die amid the first flash and fire and fear, and are not being treated the same. Their families are not getting the help their predecessors in death got.

There is an answer. There is an attempt to make our nation care - a bill in Congress named after Zadroga that would spend $11 billion over 30 years to help Magda Ryan support her children as a single mother, and help thousands of other first responders, construction workers, clergy and volunteers who are ill and suffering the mounting effects of the worst terror attack in U.S. history.

But like the rest of America, Congress is distracted by flashier things. Those who responded on 9/11 - there are some 60,000 whose health is being monitored across most of the nation - are not a top priority.

The latest politician to put them on the back burner is New Jersey Rep. Frank Pallone, who promised in September to bring up the bill in his subcommittee in October. He never did. The Daily News asked three times what happened. Pallone's office answered twice that they'd look into it.

We're still waiting, and so are the ailing heroes of Sept.11, and the spouses and children of the dead and dying, because Jim Ryan will not be the last victim of Sept. 11.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

New York, NY – On Tuesday January 5th 2010 , 9/11/01 first responders and elected officials will gather near Ground Zero to read the names of more than one hundred 9/11 responders and others who have died of illnesses caused by the attacks. Tuesday is the fourth anniversary of the death of NYPD Detective James Zadroga, the first 9/11 responder whose death was officially linked to his work at Ground Zero.

On Christmas day, FDNY hero and 9/11 responder Jim Ryan passed away of cancer caused by the 9/11 attacks, making him the latest victim of a health crisis that has been ignored by Washington for far too long. The 9/11 responders and others will demand passage of the federal James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, which will provide long-overdue help to those who are suffering with illnesses caused by the attacks.

WHO: Fealgood Foundation; NYC Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation; 9/11 Police Aid Foundation; elected officials; loved ones of 9/11 responders who have passed away

WHAT: Gathering of 9/11 responders to read the names of those who have died of illnesses caused by the 9/11 attacks

WHEN: Tuesday, January 5th

11:00am

WHERE: Plaza in front of 7 World Trade Center

Greenwich and Vesey Streets, Lower Manhattan
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

January 6, 2010 -- A hundred first responders gathered at Ground Zero Tuesday to honor the first person to die of 9/11/01-related illness - and to push for the health care bill that bears his name. The rally to push the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act to a congressional vote took place on the fourth anniversary of NYPD Detective James Zadroga's death. "Redundancy, poor leadership, neglect and denial are all illnesses killing 9/11 first responders today," said John Feal, head of the Feal Good Foundation, which works to help those suffering from 9/11/01-related ailments. The James Zadroga bill would put $11 billion toward monitoring and treatment. Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan), one of the bill's sponsors, called the lack of federal support for 9/11 responders irresponsible. "We do not want to be here for another anniversary of James Zadroga's death," she said. "Thousands lost their lives on 9/11, but thousands more lost their health."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

First Responders Want Aid for 9/11 Illnesses
    January 07, 2010 NEW YORK-- Four years ago this day, NYPD detective James Zadroga passed away. His death was the first 9/11 responder death that was officially linked to working at ground zero in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

A commemoration for his death took place near ground zero on Tuesday. Members of the 9/11 Police Aid Foundation, the NYC Firefighter Brotherhood Foundation, and the FealGood Foundation gathered together to read approximately 100 names of 9/11 responders who have died as a result of illnesses that occurred after doing rescue and recovery operations in the rubble of the World Trade Center.

One of the main reasons for the gathering was not just for the memorial of responders who died due to the aftermath of 9/11, but to support H.R. 847, the James Zadroga Health & Compensation Act, in the the U.S. House of Representatives.

James Zadroga was 34 when he died on Jan. 5, 2006, due to respiratory problems that resulted from doing about 400 hours of work near the remains of the World Trade Center.

“Our ranks are being decimated,” said Kenny Specht, an FDNY cancer survivor, who contracted cancer as a result of doing rescue operations at ground zero. “We are worth the 30 years of comprehensive medical monitoring this bill will provide for,” he said.

“We must pass this bill,” said one of the main sponsors of the bill, Democratic Representative Carolyn Maloney. The bill is “the least we can do” to support the recovery workers at ground zero, she added.

The bill gives additional health care to people directly impacted by ground zero like recovery workers, cleanup workers, and occupants who live and work around the site. Also included in the bill is compensation for individuals affected directly by ground zero. Currently, ground zero workers have not received any compensation from the government.

“I hope we can finally pass comprehensive 9/11 health legislation before any more names are added to the list of those who died from 9/11-related illnesses,” said Rep. Maloney.

One of the most recent victims of long-term health damage, FDNY firefighter Jim Ryan, died on Christmas Day due to pancreatic cancer contracted from working at ground zero for three months, reported Firefighter Hourly.

John Feal, chair of the nonprofit FealGood Foundation, said, “We're not going to play dead. We're going to fight.” The FealGood Foundation aims to raise awareness of the health problems suffered by 9/11 first responders. “While the moral compass points south in Washington, ours is righteous. We will continue to fight,” said Feal.

“I still have to answer to my granddaughter,” said former North Arlington Police Chief Joe Zadroga. “She asks me why did he [James Zadroga] have to go? He went because he felt it was his duty,” said Zadroga, who thinks there should be a “compensation fund for civilians” who suffer from severe health problems due to ground zero work.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

GOOD NEWS --May they now rest in peace

January 7, 2010 -- Two more victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks have been identified through DNA tests of human remains from the World Trade Center site, the New York City medical examiner's office said on Thursday. Two women were identified by referencing DNA from the remains with a database of DNA profiles from victims of the attack, said Ellen Borakove, a medical examiner's spokeswoman. The families requested their names not be released. More than eight years after two jetliners crashed into the World Trade Center killing 2,759 people in New York, including the 10 hijackers aboard the planes, 8,976 human remains are still being tested in order to be linked to a victim. Of the 21,744 remains uncovered since 2001, 59 percent have been identified, corresponding to 1,626 of the 2,749 dead. The victims whose remains were not matched to remains received a death certificate stating they were homicide victims, but the body had not been found. Remains can be identified through markings such as tattoos, dental X-rays or DNA testing, among other things. "One by one, the numbers (of identifications) are going up," said Borakove, and thanks to regular improvements in DNA extraction, "we are constantly working to identify the remains."

Since January 2006, 25 victims were matched to remains.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

THANK YOU, Webteam!

And a HUGE THANKS to Ray for continuing to keep us informed. Our thoughts are with you, my friend.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Firehouse.com Editor

Folks,

I wanted to apologize for locking this thread earlier and thank you for bringing it to our attention. It was an honest error when cleaning up some of the older forums. We are very well aware of the importance of this thread--we've lost too many first responders to illnesses and injuries since the 343 firefighter's were killed on Sept. 11. We did not intend to lock this thread, but it's been re-established to continue bringing updates that are relevant to thousands of our users.

Peter Matthews
    Editor-in-Chief
    Firehouse.com

Thank you.

Thread Information