Coalition of 9/11 Families
In order to find out how the majority of families and supporters would like to see the heroes of Sept. 11 recognized at the World Trade Center Memorial, the Coalition of 9/11 Families, Bill Doyle, and the Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund are sponsoring a poll to gather their input. Once we have received your feedback we will submit the results to the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation and to Governor Pataki.
Please take a minute to lend your voice to this process. Visit World Trade Center Poll and take our short online poll(s).
9/11 kin push for burial site
Carol Coakley rings bell in honor of her son Steven and other 9/11 victims during service at Ground Zero. Families of unidentified 9/11 victims begin their battle in court today to get the city to move half a million tons of debris they say contains their loved ones' remains to a proper burial site.
"I don't have a cemetery to go to," said Patricia Kiefer, 53, of Franklin, L.I., who lost her son, Firefighter Michael Kiefer of Ladder 132 in Brooklyn.
She was at a rally at Ground Zero yesterday, along with family members of some of the other 1,200 victims whose remains could be at Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island."That's not garbage," added Kiefer's daughter Lauren, 26, pointing to her brother's picture. "That's not something you throw in the garbage dump." Originally, families had pushed for the return of the debris to the WTC site, but they have since offered a list of alternatives, including Conference House Park on Staten Island, Ellis Island, and the Liberty State Park in New Jersey."We're still trying to amicably resolve the issue," said Norman Siegal, the attorney representing WTC Families for a Proper Burial. Kenneth Becker, of the city's Law Department, said the city still hopes to find "a solution that will appropriately honor those who tragically lost their lives as well as those who partook in the recovery effort."
Bone fragments found near WTC site are human
October 29, 2005 -- Ten bone fragments discovered more than four years after the World Trade Center attacks on the rooftop of a nearby skyscraper are human, officials said Friday. The pieces of bone, ranging in size from half an inch to two inches, were found on three days last month by construction workers sifting through gravel on top of the former Deutsche Bank building, officials said. Parts of the trade center's south tower carved a huge gash in the 41-story building's facade when it collapsed on Sept. 11, 2001. Deconstruction of the building, which is known to be contaminated with asbestos, lead, and trade center dust, began in September. The city medical examiner will try to identify the remains by extracting DNA and checking it against a database of World Trade Center victims, said medical examiner's spokeswoman Ellen Borakove.
"We're hoping to be able to create some profiles," she said. Borakove said test results returned last week indicated the fragments were human. She said it was too soon too tell whether the remains came from one person or more than one. The city has recovered 19,964 pieces of human remains from the trade center attack and identified 9,100 of them, Borakove said. Of the 2,749 people who died at the trade center, 1,152 victims have no identifiable remains. The medical examiner's office has said that more sophisticated DNA technology may someday develop to help identify the remains. Until then, they will remain in city custody and will eventually be encased at the trade center memorial.
Mary Fetchet, whose son, Brad, died at the south tower of the trade center, said Friday the discovery reopens old wounds. "It's just a reminder of the horrific nature of the event," said Fetchet. "When you talk about identification of bone fragments, it just brings you back to what really happened that day." The former Deutsche Bank building was purchased by the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. last year and is scheduled to be completely dismantled in 2007.
LMDC president Stefan Pryor said that after construction workers found the fragments, "our rigorous protocols automatically assume findings of this nature to be human remains and therefore require that they be treated with the utmost care, dignity, and respect." The city inspected the entire building in the months following the attacks before turning it over to the building's owners, the LMDC said.
Pictures of twin towers on sale to aid memorial
December 20, 2005 -- Striking photos of the twin towers taken before 9/11 went on sale yesterday, starting at $49.95 for an 8-by-10-inch print, as part of a fund-raiser for the World Trade Center Memorial.
The memorial foundation opened a gallery on its Web site, at www.buildthememorial.org, that also offers views of Philippe Petit's tightrope walk between the towers in 1974 and pricier posters of the memorial design.
According to the foundation, 60% of each sale, on average, will go toward the memorial building effort.
"Finally someone is trying to sell images of the World Trade Center for a worthwhile purpose," said Charles Wolf, who lost his wife, Katherine, in the terror attacks.
Foundation Vice President Lynn Rasic said the sale "is just one of the ways we're looking to involve the public in helping to build the memorial and remember the enormous power of the buildings."
Jack Lynch, of the Coalition of 9/11 Families, whose firefighter son, Michael of Engine 40, died at Ground Zero, said of the images, "They're history and they can do what they want with them. It would be another matter if someone wanted to exploit pictures of 9/11 and its aftermath."
In a recent update, the foundation said it has raised $102 million toward a goal of $500 million to build the memorial and memorial museum.
The foundation began its search for a construction manager two weeks ago. Groundbreaking is set for the spring, with an opening planned for 2009.
California-based online vendor pictopia.com is processing photo and framing orders.