Thread: Chimney Chains

Question Chimney Chains

I need to construct another set of chimney chains for a new truck and was wondering if anyone knows of a pre-fabricated system that we can buy or do I have to use good ole yankee ingenuity and sacrifice another old set of tire chains?
    Thanks for your help in advance

Forum Member

We make ours out of 1/4 or 5/16 grade 30 chain and old CMP square washers(4x4 plates)on an old CMP eye bolt hooked onto the chain with a clevis.Works pretty decent for the investment.T.C.

Forum Member

Fellas, I just gotta ask .......what are you all talkin about ?> a chian to put in a chimmney to get the creasote of the sides ? tire chains ? ........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

weruj1...

Exactly that.

Ours is a 30 foot length of 5/16 chain with a 5 pound retangular block of steel at the end with a point welded to the bottom. Above the blocck about a foot or so are 3 sections of chain about 18 inches long that act as flails to help break up the creosote the block busts loose.

Believe me we have had chimneys this thing would not drop through. had to use a pike pole to break enough of the creosote away for the chain to be able to work!!

I believe that there are quite a few people who have no clue about burning wood. They are our best chimney fire customers. Stoke the fire, choke off the flue and the intake so the fire burns (smolders) all day and junks up the chimney, or burning green unseasoned wood.

I used to burn wood to heat my garage in the winter. My wood stove was outside and the heat was piped into the garage. I burned hot fire and on occasion would leave the intake and flue wide open to burn out the creosote. I also on occasion would bang on the stove pipe to loosen up any other crap stuck to it. Never had a chimney fire in over 5 years of use.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Had a chain in my 1st FD that had an old dbl hung window counter weight on one end and a ball of chain on the other. The ball was done like a ball of yarn, probably 6-9 turns secured with bailing wire and a few more pieces hangin off the ball so it kinda looked like an octopus. Most of the chain was very light, the stuff kid's swings are made of. The ball had heavier stuff for the tenticles. The window weight was used to punch through heavy build ups and also acted as a safety should you drop the chain.

The whole set up was lighter than some other chains but worked really well. At least until I melted the weight off the end one night...

I was trying to punch through a particularly tough plug, it was hot. Even with the silver gloves on we were switching out about every minute and had been up there for a good 10 and considering alternatives. All of a sudden the chain got real light. My radio barked "What the f%&* was that?". I responded with "I think I'm through." I switched to the ball and cleared the flue, never found the weight.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

We used to use chains for this procedure. We found it easier just to use a brush instead. We have bought a round brush and square one for both types of chimneys. The only differance is we put a chain on it instead of the handles. That way you can manuver it around in the chimney. If you have a larger chimney you just pull it toward one side then run it through and put the pressure on the other side and pull it through again. We do have a weight that we put on it for the first time we put it down. Then all we do is attach another small chain to the bottom of the brush then use it like dental floss .

It works good for us you do not have to have a big logging chain or anything like that just a couple decent medium duty chains will do. We have burned a few brushes up but it is much quicker.

Just remember to tell the homeowner to have a professional check the chimney out before they use it again. Once they see you have "cleaned" the chimney for them they want to turn around and fire the "box" back up again.

Forum Member

Imr,We have the brushes on chain too.But you can't use a brush on a "flamer"which comprise about 90%of our chimney fires.Till you knock the "snot"out,these will make even a 5/16 chain glow.A ziploc full of dry chem knocks 'em down,but there can still be tremendous heat.We brush 'em after they cool a bit.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh I agree with that. I did not think I had to go through the hole thing we also use the "Baggie" trick. Clean the firebox out and the whole nine yards before we get to using the Brush.

Thread Information