Thread: worst call

MembersZone Subscriber

Default worst call

What are some of the worst calls you have ever responded on?

personally mine was- a tire fire, where over 3 million tires burned and we were there for more than a week trying to put the fire out. The absolute worst call I have ever been on. We had nearly 200 FF there (paid and vollys). dont mind it was about 10 degrees out

What are some stories?

FIGJAM

Industrial accident- tree feller had a tree land on top of him pushing him face first into the running chainsaw....
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

My First Cardiac, it bugged me for a month...i dunno why it just got to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Worst Call

My agency was called for an elevator emergency. Upon arrival, the vicitm was found to be wedged between the elevator car and the elevator shaft pinning him in place.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Worst Call

Freight train vs. fully loaded schoolbus, more than 30 years ago. Served as a pall-bearer for one of the victims later that week.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

It's a toss-up for me. Both were fatal MVAs.

One was a crash in which two teenagers were in an SUV hit head-on by a semi full of frozen food. Another firefighter/EMT was on scene in her private vehicle just prior to me arriving in the rescue. Together we had to pronounce both kids.

The other incident involved a guy who was having a dispute with the other passengers of a moving minivan. He opened the sliding door and started to climb out, and the van went out of control and sideswiped a fence, which took him out of the vehicle and decapitated him. I knew the fellow, and again, I was first on scene in my POV a minute or two before our rescue arrived.

--j.
    Last edited by Jay911; 01-29-2004 at 11:51 PM.

I was home sleep on a Thursday night around 12:45 am, was awaken by my neighbors banging on my door stating that the house was on fire, My wife was at work,I ran to my sons room to get him up and take him out,but notice that none of my electric smoke detectors rang. Lights where on so I said to myself cant be my house, As I walked out the front door smoke just attacked me out of nowhere,I looked to the left did not see anything, looked to the right and seen smoke pouring out of my neighbors front door and windows. My house is a rowhome townhouse. out of a block of six houses the hot house was end of row 2 doors to the right of my house. I went over there and my elderly neighbors were telling me and a couple of people that their great grand children were in the house(basement)which was converted to a 5th bedroom. Now these are 3 story houses with an above ground basement and garage,2nd story,first floor you have a living room dining room,closets,kitchen and pantry,3rd story 2nd floor 4 bedrooms hall closets and 1 1/2 bathroom. I made an attempted to go in the first floor door and went about 15ft in,was overvcomed by the smoke, came back out opened my garage to get tools;hammers,hatchets, anything I could find for forcible entry. several of us were working on the garage.others were working on the back door. About that time my company was dispatched. I never made it to the firehouse. We made entry to through the garage, now the garage separates the basement with a maybe 3 1/2 in steel door, deadbolted lock We could not get in that way, I went around back and for the first time seen heavy fire coming from the back window. We tried but after seeing that fire I knew immediately that those poor kids were dead. We got the back door open but could not gain entry, the radiant heat was too much. I am from a small town surburban philadelphia pa, 2 other guys on my fire company were related to the occupants of the house. We were so upset behind this fire, We were out of servicwe for 2 days. I understand that people will pass away but when it hits that close to home it really hurts.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We were making an interior attack on a well seated fire when conditions changed for the worse thanks to a misunderstood order to set up the ladder pipe. By doing so the truck crew opened up their master stream and pushed the fire back down the hallway into the area we were operating. Not sure if the sudden rise in temp was due to a possible flashover, we quickly made our way out thru a side door we found while making our way into the structure. After making a quick exit out the side door, we found ourselves in the backyard next to the pool. We were walking around the corner when some very excited noobies came hauling butt around the corner knocking me into the pool with a very cheap pool liner in place. We all know what happens to plastic in water...instant cling wrap. This would not have been too bad had it not been in the deep end of the pool. I had no idea which way was up at first and the plastic was clinging all over me while at the same time weighing me down. When I finally calmed down, I found that me SCBA was working fine with the exception of free flowing. What seemed several minutes was really about 30 seconds. What could have been a tragic accident wound up being a very good learning experience for both the department and the
    SCBA manufacture. You can float in turnouts (with proper training) and most SCBA's will work underwater (MSA, Survivair, Scott). Most only work to 20'.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default worst call

It was a few days before thanksgiving, and my company was called for mutual aid for a working structure fire. When we arrived on scene, we were told to go in and relieve some of the guys inside. The smoke was still thick and we couldnt see a thing. A fifteen year old boy was later found by the front door. My heart sank. He will is missed by many.

Forum Member

Got a call for unknown medical aid at 6:30 am one winter morning. It turned out to be a 12-yr old girl who had just gotten home from the hospital the night before with a fever and intestinal problems. She had been dead for hours. She lay in bed with her hands neatly folded on her chest, eyes open, waxy complexion. When we put down our equipment and called for the police, the mother burst out sobbing while the father comforted her. My noobie partner and I had to wait 10 minutes with the girl in her room while the police and ME came. Got back to the station and no one said a word the rest of the shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

A number of years ago working on the bus we were called to a neighboring town for a house fire people trapped. Witnesses said they heard them calling for help as the first engine arrived.
    My partner and me assumed we would be getting pt's any second. time went by and eventually the IC told us to gear up and help with overhaul.
    The home was a one story frame with basement. We trucked out the 1st floor moving boxes of presents (it was the week before Christmas). We finally made it to the basement and into the room where the fire victims were found. A mother crouched in the corner of the room and two kids in the middle of the room one hugging the other. Not a mark on them, the fire never reached them. The department we went to said it was to hot and they couldn't make the basement where they were told the people were.
    Some signs of heat outside the bedroom but the room was just sooted up.
    The image of the family sits in my head like it was yesterday (in was about 16 or 17 years ago)
    I have seen far more blood and burnt up people. Dead babies, and train accident victims. People so mutilated we looked for the bubbles to intubate them, but nothing has stuck with me like that family just before Christmas.

Thread Information