MembersZone Subscriber

Question Tower high-rise pack problem

Ok all you truckies, I have a problem for you.

We are reconfiguring our Tower hose lays so that we can run 100' of 2 1/2" off the bucket into a building, with a gated 1 1/2" wye on the end for two high-rise attack lines. We have managed to get the 100' of 2 1/2" in the bucket, but we need to find a place for the two high-rise packs.

We are a small combination department with only 4 paid personnel on at a time. The person in the Tower is usually alone, and at best has one other person with them. Volunteers usually supplement us on scene, but their skill level is limited. Currently the high rise packs are in a side compartment, requiring the operator to hoist them up to the platform, to the bucket, and then raise the ladder to the fire floor. It takes a good bit of time for one person to carry both packs from the compartment to the bucket. So we're looking for another way to store the high rise packs as close as possible to the ladder and in such a way that one person can get them both to the bucket as efficiently as possible.

The Tower is a 1990 Grumman with a 102' boom and an 800lb bucket capacity.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, and let me know if I can provide more information.

Thanks!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Re: Tower high-rise pack problem

Originally posted by CorollaFFMedic
    Ok all you truckies, I have a problem for you.
    Your never going to fix this problem by asking ALL TRUCKIES...
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

District Chief

Talking

I thought the only hose truckies were allowed to handle was the one on the end of a 2.5 Gallon Pressurized Water Extinguisher (ie., "THE CAN")????????
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Default Re: Re: Tower high-rise pack problem

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35

Your never going to fix this problem by asking ALL TRUCKIES...
    Damn...you beat me to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would seriously consider dumping the idea of using your tower as a standpipe. You have a $750,000 piece of lifesaving equipment. Do you realy want to tie it up supplying hose lines. Once the lines are off your stuck, if someone needs rescue from another window you are SOL.
    I'd haul the line up if you don't want to take the stairs.
    Keep the tower free to do its real job of saving lives.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with ADSN, and E40.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default limited skills?

Volunteers usually supplement us on scene, but their skill level is limited.
    Then their training needs to be expounded upon to include this. I also work at a small combination dept. consisting of 7 careers and 20 reserves. When I respond to a call, I never know how many will show up on-scene. Because of this, everyone on the dept. is trained in all activities that are needed; Ladder Ops., Engine Ops., Rescue Ops., S&R, RIT, Extrication, Medical, etc.
    If their skills are limited, they need to buckle down and get some training time in. (of course, this is just my opinion, I don't know why it's limited to begin with.)
    Scott Maples
    www.Jeffersoncityfire.com
    Firefighter/EMT-IV

If you're always talking, you're never listening...if you're not listening, you're not learning.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Tower high-rise pack problem

Originally posted by CorollaFFMedic
    Volunteers usually supplement us on scene, but their skill level is limited.
    Hate to point out the obvious, but if there is only 4 of you on shift supplemented by the low-skilled volunteers - who is going to be the RIT that is going to be coming in to rescue your Ar$e when things go pear-shaped - obviously the volunteers - therefore it is very much in your interest to give them the very best training possible
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

ADSNWFLD is 100% correct. Don't tie up your platform for supplying charged hand lines. This practive puts the platform out of service for the work it was really meant for.

And if you did end up doing this anyways, having the 2 1/2" hose, and two 1 3/4" lines in your platform 24/7, now how much weight did you just limit yourself? You no longer have an 800lb bucket capacity!
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, after re-evaluating our use of the tower we decided to scrap the idea. If water is needed off the tower we will just pull hose off of the engine. Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I agree with scrapping this idea but more importanatly who decided that the volunteers didn't need to be trained to the same level as the career guys on the job? With only 4 of you on duty you have to expect that the vollies are gonna be not only your back up, but pulling lines and working right along side of you. I think the training issue is way more important here than the way the tower is set up.

This begs the next couple of questions:
    1) Does your department have minimum standards for training?
    2) Does your state have minimum standards for training?

Wisconsin expects every FF to attend Entry Level firefighter before they do interior firefighting, and at least entry level Driver Operator before they drive fire apparatus. Of course there are levels abobve and beyond include FF, MPO and officer certification.

Take care and train those vollies!!

FyredUp

Thread Information