Default Do you know the answers? Fire House Questions

FIRE HOUSE QUESTIONS:

I am currently writing a story about man who joins a small town fire department. He at first is a bit reluctant to join the team because of his fatherís previous fire related death. This character was following in his fatherís footsteps, learning the ways of fire safety and fighting up until his fatherís death. Five years have passed and he decides to join the team. My character has previous schooling and training, yet has not finished with his degree in fire science. So, what I need from you, if you have some time, is to ask you some questions about fire science and safety. Most importantly I need to ask you how a firehouse is run and how a fire scene is approached. From who goes into a house fire first to what kind of equipment it used. I understand you all may be a busy and just donít have time to answer my questions. I understand with the utmost respect and thank you for your time and effort toward my questions. Yet, if you know you have time to answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated. Here are the questions; please there is no need to go into great detail yet, only if needed.

Fire House Questions: Know your brothers.
    1. How many people are to one firehouse?
    2. Are there different shifts? 1st 2nd 3rd?
    3. What does each shift do in ideal time? (Small house duties, cleaning, training?)
    4. Is there a certain uniform worn by them during off time at the house?
    5. Can each member of the fire team do every other manís job?
    Ex: If someone is absent could someone fill in?
    6. Or does everyone have a certain job required?

Fire Science and Training: Why is fire hot?
    1. What classes are needed to become a firefighter?
    2. What are learned in these classes?
    3. What certifications are needed to become a firefighter?
    4. Are there Associates and Bachelor degrees?
    5. What is the better degree or does it have to do with training?
    6. Do you have to go to a special school to train?
    7. Once the fire degree is gotten you donít just jump on a truck and go do you?
    8. What duties would YOU start a beginner fireman at?
    9. What about emergency life saving techniques?
    10. Besides fighting fires what do firemen do career related?

A Fire Scene: What to do and not to do.
    1. So, you are sitting in the firehouse watching TV and the emergency alarm goes off for a call what do you do?
    2. What preparations are needed?
    3. How many men go on the call?
    4. What jobs are there when a call comes?
    5. Who picks the man for each job?
    6. What if that man in charge is not there?
    7. Who is in charge then?
    8. What is the process for getting into your fire suit?
    9. Is there a certain time frame to get that fire truck out of the house?

I know a lot of this is vague and itís hard for me to write this out considering I have only seen firemen in action in the movies and 9/11.
    But given the fact that this is a small town team of men who are sparse in number please try to answer the questions simply as possible. You see I am not even sure of what kind of fire truck they would use. I am not sure if the truck has a latter or certain specs to it that would or would not be helpful to them in a fire.
    Letís assume that these guys are not the city fire department and they donít have a lot of money for huge fire trucks with everything on it. Pretty much they have just the basics and a lot of heart for their jobs.

10. Here is the scene: A two-story house is on fire and there is a woman trapped on the second floor. No fire escape on the house, but there are two windows in front and two windows in back of the house on that second level. The fire is coming from the basement of the house and has burned up through the first floor pretty good. There are stairs in the house just as you walk in the front door that are still operational but burning up fast. The houses around the one on fire are pretty close and may catch on fire also. There is a fire hydrant on the street corner, which is seven houses down from the one on fire. I hope I have given enough information on the call that you can answer the questions well enough. If not just maybe make up something(s) that I may have forgotten.

11. At the scene what is the first thing done once you arrive?
    12. What equipment is used during fire like this?
    13. Who goes into the fire first to rescue?
    14. What duties are there for the men outside?
    15. What is the safest way to rescue them?
    16. After the rescue is made what is the best way out of the house?
    17. Once everyone is safe how is a fire like this put out?
    18. What is the procedure of paper work and after call duties?
    19. Is there a meeting after the call to evaluate the fire and changes to be made?
    Please use questions 11-19 to answer the next question.
    20. Using the same questions for the house. Please summarize a call for a car fire.
    Car make Ford Taurus 1993 4 door if that helps.
    21. How would a car fire start in a common situation?

Fire Fighter Miscellaneous Questions.

1. What kinds of awards are given to outstanding feats of heroism going above and beyond?
    2. I need a way that a house could catch on fire simply because of a wiring problem or possible a water heater explosion of some sort. No sort of human tampering or arson involved. Pretty much just a common cause of house fires related to an appliance or spill of some kind.

I think that this covers it all, if you have anything else you would like to add as possible help in my story it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to thank you for you time and effort once again. You will be credited as a contribution to the creation of this story and I will not denounce or disillusion any information that is given to me. I just want the facts and details. Again I like you to know that I have the utmost respect for you and your career in fire fighting.
    Thank you for you help and understanding.
    And thank you for keeping Americans safe.

Sincerely,

Cory Clubb
    Of Peoria, Illinois
    clubber82@lycos.com

ďWe will never forget 9/11Ē

Forum Member

Thumbs down ?

It seems to me that if you are going to publish something with your own name on it, you should have enough understanding of a particular topic to at least consider yourself knowledgeable in the topic.

What if someone were to say something to the effect of, "Real firefighters have pink fire trucks. The fire Dalmatian is usually the first firefighter through the door and the rest of the firefighters follow the dog to the victim inside. Hoses are connected to hydrants that supply milk - the milk acts as a magnet for the fire and the firefighters use the magnet to lure the fire outside the house where the Chief stomps on it." How are you going to pick out the facts that should be published about this service and discard the crap?

I respect your desire to learn more about the fire service - but learn about things for the right reason. Don't learn about it just to make some money on a book.

This fire service has been blessed to have a select group of men and women that have made a name for themselves by writing training guides, books, and novels about their own experience. Dennis Smith, Gary Ludwig, and Harry Carter for example have earned the right to publish stories and books related to the fire service because they know the fire service. They haven't earned their respect by asking and never experiencing.

Respectfully,
    Turk II

New York, NY: The city so awesome, they named it twice!

Clubber, no offense, but what you are asking of us is rather silly. If I were to bother to sit down and answer all of your questions, I might as well just write a book myself.

Turk is right on the money with his comment. You obviously don't even have an elementary understanding about any aspect of the fire service whatsoever. If you really want to write a book, make it about something you have personal knowledge of.

Or, and I believe this to be the best advice I can offer, join your local VFD and write your book 20 years from now after you've experienced all these things for yourself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I would suggest that you take the time to visit a few fire stations and speak to the guys and gals, get some real insight into just what we do and dont do. This will help you much more than trying to sort out answers from this forum. Go to some city depts, some rural depts. I'm sure you will get your eyes opened real quick.

Thread Information