There is a bitter cold wave in Southern Ontario right now, and as so often happens, there have been several major fires, one of them being a tragic 4 fatality fire.

On the evening of January 8, in Vaughan (N/W of Toronto) fire broke out in a large mansion that was under construction at Pine Valley Drive and Teston Road. Firefighters from Vaughan responded with Richmond Hill and Markham providing tankers, since the area has no hydrants. The home was destroyed and damage is estimated at over $1 million.

At about 5AM on January 9, fire broke out at a metal fabricating factory in Stouffville (North of Toronto) at Bloomington Road and Woodbine Ave. The building was completely involved and it quickly spread to second building in the complex, with both buildings quickly collapsing. The firefighters were restricted to defensive operations, and water had to be trucked as this area does not have fire hydrants. Markham Fire Department also assisted at the fire. The buildings are a total loss

At about about 6AM firefighters in Windsor (across the border from Detroit) responded to a fire alarm at a 2 story 12 unit apartment building. Upon arrival firefighters found one unit on the second floor fully involved. During the primary search, 3 children ages, 1, 2 and 4 were found and removed. The children were taken to hospital but were pronounced dead. After the fire was extinguished the badly burned body of an adult female, believed to be the childrens mother, was discovered. A teenage girl, believed to be a relative, escaped the apartment prior to firefighters arrival. 31 firefighters responded and the blaze was quickly contained to the unit of origin. The victims have not been identified, and the cause is under investigation.

At 2:10PM this afternoon, fire broke out at the German Consulate, on Admiral Road in downtown Toronto. A 2nd alarm was called by first arriving crews and shortly afterward it was upgraded to a 3rd alarm. At this time Toronto Fire Service has 9 pumpers, 3 Aerial Ladders, 2 Rescues, 4 Support Vehicles, and 6 Command Vehicles on scene. The fire is now under control. Initial media reports are saying that the fire started on a porch at the rear of the building and it may have been deliberately set. Toronto Police have taken 1 person into custody at the scene, but not further information is available.