Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber FireCritic's Avatar

Question Midmount VS. Rearmount

I am sure that this question has been posed here before, but here it goes. I would like to know what you all think about the difference between midmount and rearmount ladder trucks. I would like to know what the pros and cons are without regard to manufacturer unless one manufacturer offers a special spec. that another does not.

I work in a City population 100,000. We currently have 4 ladder trucks; 121' stick rearmount, 100' stick tiller, 2- 75'stick rearmount. We will likely be putting the 121' into reserve. We are purchasing a 95'-100' platform. It will have to work in the tight city streets as well as in the suburban setting. We carry a lot of equipment on our ladder trucks including RIT equipment so compartment space is definitly a concern.
    Last edited by FireFleitz; 01-11-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Forum Member

What's your response area like? I really hesitate to give an opinion because as has been brought up before, different style trucks for different areas. For example, if you have low wires etc. a mid may be low enough for you to get under where a rear may not. I'm not an expert but may be able to offer some opinion on things if you give more specifics. Try doing a search on some earlier discussions as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

we are spec'ing out a new midship,we have had a middie for 21 years,we can get ours through some real narrow streets even though its a sutphen,a tower middie,we found that a scope gets in nicely on narrow streets,and sets up nice,carrys 200' of ground ladders,and with high sides carries alot of equipment. to bad you want a tower,cause a tiller can get you any where you want to go. that is if you still wanted a ground ladder on steroids
    Last edited by WAGON1; 01-16-2004 at 08:17 PM.

All of the rear mount towers I have seen are tall and top heavy. If overhead clearance is at all an issue, get a mid-mount.

Dave

Default Rearmount

I posted this thread because I have never worked on a midmount truck. I have been assigned to a station with an engine and a rearmount 75' aerial for 2 years. Our department has 3 rearmounts + a tiller which we will not be getting another one of unfortunately. The problems I see with getting a midmount are storage (rearmounts usually have more of it, I know there are exceptions I have seen them)and the over hang in the rear. However if you have a rearmount then the overhang is in the front. The platform also impairs your view upwards on a rearmount. The other problem I see with the rearmount is the height. Most Rearmounts are 11'9", while middies are 9'10"-11' usually. I am just looking for anyones opinion.

Go ahead and add info on manufacturers. Don't bash. Just tell me what you work on what you like and what you don't like.
    Last edited by FireFleitz; 01-16-2004 at 10:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

True rear mounts can get you more storage,but a high sided middie has lots of room. We run a sutphen,yes there is alot of overhang,have smacked a few stop signs turning left. Most new middies(except sutphen) have thier body,and frame end at the bucket so overhang is nominal. Add to that the new angles clearance lamps,you know exactly where the rear is. These lights are mounted on a hard rubber mount,and stick out bout 6" from body. We are looking at new towers(all middies). we can shoot under tree branches,and most wires safely. it has easier access to the bucket,and to me more stability. i used to build aerials,and the midships were always more steady due to low center of gravity. A middie you can mount saw boxes right next to the bucket,so they are close,and do not have to carry them any real distance to get into the bucket.both have pros and cons,but a middie will open a whole new world for you. One thing we found extremely nice with a middie is that to change crews or to move away from building we can retract the whole way,and rotate,and lower the bucket to the ground 90 degrees off body,and only be stretched 10' from the unit,so changing crews,etc,is alot easier,and nicer,try that with a rear mount,and you will be at least 70' from unit. like said that is another nice thing bout a middie

we run an older Sutphen, and when it was purchsed years ago people thought it was a waste saying it was "too big" or that it couldnt go down every street in town or circle cul de sacs etc. Well the truth of the matter is it has worked just fine and 2 chiefs ago it got bumped up to second out on the structure fire running list. It used to also be that if the "ladder truck" left the station something really bad must be happening in town..........it is a mid mount unit and is has proven very maneuverable for us. With the way they are making some of these truck nowadays they are so darn huge I am glad we got an older unit.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

But I believe on a lot of the newer models they are putting the "all wheel steer" on them. I can't remember what it's called, though......

thats a Pierce product ..........."all steer"
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Just about Sold on the Midmount

Well I will have to say that I have heard a lot from the Midmount side of this dispute. I came in as a Rearmount type, but now that I have heard what you all have to say as well as what my friends, and colleagues have said I think I have seen the light. To be honest with you the Rearmount has seemed unappealing. I had my doubts about the storage space, turning radius, Ability to put platform at ground level, and some other things. Now I have realized that the midmounts offer all of this also. The big drawback for the Rearmount is the height. The Trucks we are looking at (All demos because it is an emergency purchase) are all comparable. One truck might have something the other doesn't but they are all about even. I just hope we end up with a truck that fits our needs and that the men can work well with it.

Thread Information