MembersZone Subscriber

Question Part time firefighters

does anyone know anything about a rule limiting part time firefighters to 1500 hours per year?....i have looked in the ORC and the OAC and OP&F, FLSA wage and hour, no one seems to know anything about it. we have a problem at my dept. with part time being disciplined for going over 1500 hrs a year, the previous dept. i worked for had no such rule you signed a waiver of benefits for part time and you could work 48 hours a week, my current dept. says 52 per week or 124 a month, which stays below the supposed rule of 1500 hours per year, i want to try and change it to 36 per yeek or 132 a month, it will put us over the 1500 but if i can find where the rule doesnt exist i may get it passed. if any one can help i would sure appreciate it!!!!!!
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Forum Member

I vaguely remember our chief saying something about max hours per week when we started our part time program, but I don't remember what the number of hours was or if it was a federal, state, or city rule.

However, there is a FD in this area that has part-time personnel and they work different schedules. They have an A B C shift like a full-time FD on 24-48 shifts. Most of their part-time personnel work 6am-6pm on their shift (either A B or C). Plus these people also pick up a lot of overtime either on their off days or from 6p-12a, or from 12a-6a. I know they have people who are working more than 1500 hours per year, but I'm not sure whose rule it is.

Forum Member

What is the issue with your department? Are they concerned with owing the part-timers benefits or something else.

At our department the part-timers are allowed to work 84 hours per pay (average 42 hours per week). We don't seem to have an issue and they aren't paid any benefits.
    Lt. John Kaltenbach
    Mifflin Fire - Rescue 133
    Gahanna, OH

"Vermögen bevorzugt das tapfere!"

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't heard of anything....but I'll ask around.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1500 hour Rule

The references I've heard are that if you excede 1500 hours within a given calendar year, you are considered a full-time employee and your employer is required to provide benefits. The source cited was Federal wage & hour rules. Most departments in SW Ohio limit their part-timers to 1500 hours within a given year. It tends to lead to many open shifts and manditory overtime for their full-timers in December.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Thread Information