Forum Member

Default Question for the crusties.....

What do think about explorers being in the support area on a hi-rise fire, say the fire is on the 11th floor and support/rehab is on the 8th or 9th floor. I got to thinking about this the other day because we operate in a support fuction, but we are not suppost to be in a burning structure. What is your thoughts on this?
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Default Re: Question for the crusties.....

Originally posted by explr985
    What do think about explorers being in the support area on a hi-rise fire, say the fire is on the 11th floor and support/rehab is on the 8th or 9th floor. I got to thinking about this the other day because we operate in a support fuction, but we are not suppost to be in a burning structure. What is your thoughts on this?
    I think you just answered your own question. Are the 8th and 9th floors in the building, and is the building burning? Are you supposed to, as explorers, be in a burning building?
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

out out ...............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Well - speaking as someone from a rural area where the only "high rise" structures we have are farm silos & water towers . . . I would never put my rehab area IN the structure to start with. Secondary staging area (RIT, "2 Out" crew, etc) & Attack sector command - sure. Rehab - no way. Not safe - Not practical.

Now - that being said - if for some reason rehab WAS inside the involved building, then I pretty much agree with PFire & Weruj that you are now "on the curb".
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I am not familar at all with hi-rise operations, and I have always heard that it is usually set up on a floor under the on burning.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Some places do, it usually well below the fire (I believe)...

Explorers do not belong in there would be my second answer....

Forum Member

Rehab is often set up below the fire in high rise fires. Usaully several floors below the fire floor ( depending on the building, amount of fire, resources needed, ect, ect). However our department will stage tools 1 floor below the fire floor.

As for explorers in the building I would have to say no. Highrises fires are dangerous, and being in the building would still be to dangerous.

Stay Safe
    Firedog21

A building fire is a building fire no matter where it is. It could be on the 100th floor, but isn't that still considered a burning building?

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Explorers should stay with Incident Command outside the building.

Forum Member

It does'nt matter anyway, our rehab/support area is outside per our general orders. We are suppost to stay with the engineer if the company is ordered inside, and if the engineer goes in we stay with the rig or go to IC.

IACOJ 2003

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Seems like no matter what is explained or how much it is done... Explorers highly object to all the rules, and nobody really follows them anyway... Maybe it's time to do away with Juniors and Explorers and just make it simple. You can do it all when you turn 18.

Simple. Effective. Everyone Wins.

Forum Member

Seems like no matter what is explained or how much it is done... Explorers highly object to all the rules, and nobody really follows them anyway... Maybe it's time to do away with Juniors and Explorers and just make it simple. You can do it all when you turn 18.Simple. Effective. Everyone Wins.
    Again your thinly vailed attempt to start and arguement will not fly here. Take your crap elsewhere.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Get outta my building..." is what one chief told my former Explorer post when we fought a fire on the 6th floor of a concrete dormitory. Explorers stood at the door and handed things up to rehab section on the 4th floor and ran and got things like bottles, water, and the like.

fiNEWBIEre, this is the second thread where I have seen you blatanly try and start an arguement. Maybe you should find a new forum to start BS on...

In response to this question, we are (Floral Park Fire Explorers)not trained in any type of high rise operation, nor are we certified to be in any type of working fire. Therefor, should not be in the affected fire building. And thats all besides the laws set by NYS that say we are not allowed to...
    Floral Park Fire Explorers
    Post 129
    Floral Park, New York
    www.explorers129.com

Forum Member

Simple. Effective. Everyone Wins.
    Kinda like hitting the ignore button for you!

fiNEWBIEre,
    its obvious my friend that you do not understand as to why an explorer system is used in the first place. a failed explorer post or junior program is a direct result of the adults who are in charge of same. examples
    1- cannot control their post
    2- thinks its a social club
    3- preferential treatment to certain ones (chiefs kid )
    4- they are kids not little adults, cant expect them to be adults. dont treat them as such.
    5- keeping their interest keeps them out of trouble.
    if they don't know something take the time to teach them . they aren't suppose to know. you are!teach don't ridicule.
    locally the explorers are used to create recruits for employeement. they are kept under tight reign. if they screw up they are gone. because you have been in / around a system that has failed . place the blame on the adults not the kids.
    Last edited by NCMEDIC749; 01-25-2004 at 10:14 AM.
    In memory of Bob Compton. Rest In Peace My Friend.

PROUD TO BE I.A.C.O.J.

this thread got quiet in a hurry!!!!!
    In memory of Bob Compton. Rest In Peace My Friend.

PROUD TO BE I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am the advisor for our Departments Jr. program and would like to comment on a couple of things here.

Well - speaking as someone from a rural area where the only "high rise" structures we have are farm silos & water towers . . . I would never put my rehab area IN the structure to start with. Secondary staging area (RIT, "2 Out" crew, etc) & Attack sector command - sure. Rehab - no way. Not safe - Not practical
    If it is not safe or practical to rehab in the structure then how could it be safe and practical to have RIT in that spot?

Seems like no matter what is explained or how much it is done... Explorers highly object to all the rules, and nobody really follows them anyway... Maybe it's time to do away with Juniors and Explorers and just make it simple. You can do it all when you turn 18.
    I would like to respond to this guy. You need to look in the mirror and decide if the fire service is for you. I have looked at your profile and read all of your past posts. It is clear that you have a problem. You claim on your profile to have 37 years expirence yet admit you are a teenager. Further you state your intersts as "causing trouble". Do you care to explain this? Tell me how this attitude is good for the fire service or even your department?
    I have read your posts and each one either looks for sympathy for yourself or complains about someone else. You call neighbors names, you complain about the leaders in you explorer post, you complain about the rules, you complain about your Cheifs, and last you seem to be a very poor skater as many of your post revole around skating accidents. You my young friend have a very bad attitude, and there is no more room in the fire service for that.
    Now that said I hope you will allow me to give you some advise. If you spent half the time you complian trying to become more professional and better trained, you might just EARN enough respect to try and change the things that bother you. Why complain and whine when you know the members of your department stop listening to you long ago. You have even managed to get yourself ignored here. You need to decide if you if the fire service is really a good place for you, because it seems the fire service is not willing to deal with your attitude. Good Luck, I really hope thing work out for you.
    B Holmes

Thread Information