Seattle Fire Chief Resigns
January 13, 2004
By KOMO Staff & News Services

SEATTLE - Seattle Fire Chief Gary Morris announced his resignation Tuesday.

Morris says he and his fiancee decided they need to take some time to enjoy family.

"I have decided to resign as chief of the Seattle Fire Department and will do everything to ensure a smooth transition to new leadership", said Morris." This was not an easy decision. My fiancée and I have decided we need to take some time to enjoy family".

Morris is a former assistant chief in Phoenix. He was appointed Seattle fire chief in July of 2001. His resignation will be effective April 15.

Upon the announcement, Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels appointed Assistant Chief Gregory Dean as acting Fire Chief.

"I deeply appreciate the service Chief Morris has provided the people of Seattle for the past 2 ½ years," said Nickels. "I accept his resignation and wish him and his family all the best."

Dean is currently the Department's Fire Marshal. He has been a member of the Seattle Fire Department since 1970 and has previously served as acting Fire Chief. He is a graduate of Franklin High School and the University of Phoenix with a degree in business administration.