MembersZone Subscriber

Question Aerial Platform Questions ?

How do you feel about rapelling from a aerial platform, using the aerial to lift objects and would you settle for less gpm for fire flow to get a more specialized apparatus for rescue purposes if this was your only aerial apparatus. Last, how important is it to you and your department when considering safety ratio of manufacturers aerial platforms.

Thank You!

dazed and confused

I'm speaking for our 2000 E-One HP95 Aerial Platform.

Rapelling: because of the shock loading that can occur, I would not recommend this. We do not have any rated attachment points inside the bucket... the only rated connections are the 2 lifting hooks underneath, and the max shared load between the 2 is 500lbs. You could easily exceed this in a rope rescue situation. Sure, there is an engineered 2.5:1 safety ratio in their aerial construction. Still, that's way too close.

Crane: The only aerial that I am aware of that is rated to lift objects is the Metz. That's not to say if you were faced with an emergency you couldn't try doing something with the bed-section of the aerial, perhaps. Risky though.

Safety margins and ratios: I think it matters. 2.5:1 is pretty nice.

GPMS vs. "specialized rescue": I don't follow. GPMS of what, the water tower? The pump? And regardless, aside from eliminating them how would either affect your rescue operations?
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

We run an older Sutphen and have debated this many times before, finally calling the manufactuer. We have rapelled from it and our concern for it was the yoke as it "wraps" around the bucket. As far as something newer out there I have no idea what they can and cant do.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information