EASTON, Md. (AP) - A firefighter was injured and a 77-year-old
landmark was destroyed in three-alarm fire that caused an estimated
$1.5 million in damage an Easton store Wednesday afternoon, state
fire officials said.
The fire, which broke out just before noon at Cherry's Outdoor
Store on West Dover Street, destroyed the store and its contents,
according to Deputy State Fire Marshal W. Faron Taylor.
More than 50 firefighters from six companies battled the blaze
for two hours. One firefighter suffered a broken hand; he was
treated and released at Easton Memorial Hospital.
Taylor said two workers and a customer found the fire in a
kitchenette and the customer tried to put it out with a portable
extinguisher. When that effort failed, they fled the building.
Electrical wiring in the wall behind the kitchenette overheated
and ignited wooden wall studs, Taylor said.
Store owner Mike Cherry's parents opened the store in 1926.
The incident snarled traffic in Easton and several streets were
closed Wednesday evening.
(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Easton, MD Landmark burns
01-15-2004, 02:47 AM #1
Easton, MD Landmark burnsProudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones
*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
On the web at www.section2wildfire.com
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)