Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Question Max. evolutions on one car?

I'm getting a company extrication drill set up and have access to a limited number of vehicles. Because we don't get much "cut time" I was thinking about using one car to practice as many evolutions as possible as a general refresher before doing a simulated MVC with another vehicle.

I was thinking along the lines of hydraulics on one side of the car, and hand tools on the other.

I'd like help coming up with a list of evolutions to maximize the use of a single vehicle (and if I'm approaching this from the wrong angle, let me know.)
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

It would depend on what the objective of the dril is.
    If you are doing a basic class for beginers, I would use each car separate and just do technique. No senerios, just the basic technique. You could work one car with hydraulics and hand tools on the other. To maximize the use of the car make sure they pop the door, do a third door and push the dash on each side. Then do roof removal. Show them where to cut and why then let them cut.
    If the drill is aimed at guys with expirence I would use both cars. If either car runs set it up like an accident that could happen at one of your intersection. Put a few dummies (not probies!) in as vitims. If you have a potential officer in the group have him call the shots. Tell the guys to handle this in real time as they would in the feild. Have yourself an a few other expirenced guys watch and take notes. I would let the evolution finish without interuption unless a serious safty issue arises. Then be sure to critique the drill. After the evolution and critique there will still be plenty of car left to cut. Let the newer guys get in and try it. Leave no part uncut!!
    Good luck.
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up nothing left intact

Ulrich, here's what I like to do for an upright vehicle.

Start with initial scene activities, ie. size-up, stabilization, forcing access to battery, providing patient protection, glass breakage to gain entry.
    Then starting with driver's side: Front fender squeeze to make purchase, hinge attack to remove front door. Haligan bar purchase point on rear door, 'through the window' spread to open rear door. So far you've 2 methods of creating purchase points, and 2 tech. for opening jammed doors. Now cut B post at roofline with relief cuts at base of B post, remove entire side (side laydown technique).

Go to passenger side: Remove glass by rolling rear window most of the way down and twisting exposed edge with haligan fork till it snaps. Open rear door with latch attack, pry away b post trim,and make V cut into roof rail. Finish maxidoor(aka 2 door swing) technique by making relief cut at base of B post and spreading side away between rocker and bottom hinge of rear door. Finish removing front door by cutting/ spreading hinges from inside side of front door. Skills that differ from driver's side evoultion: alternate glass breaking tech., Maxidoor complete side removal evolution, latch attack with spreader, V cut into roof to avoid leaving stub of B post, attacking front door from inside car versus outside.
    Results: 2 different complete side removal techniques, multiple attack points and techniques for doors, glass, and purchase points.

Go to rear of car: Spreader on rear trunk deck, open spreader between roof line and rear deck to enlarge area for patient removal out the back. Think 'Teepee'. Have crew remove patient out this way after reclining front seatback.
    Next flap back half of roof forward. Cut rear posts after stripping trim, hydraulic cutter one side and recip saw on opposite side. Make relief cuts just rear of B post (where it used to be) and lay pry bar down across roof. Fold rear half forawrd out of way and remove patient out the back.
    Unfold roof to original location and finish with complete roof removal. If crew is used to total windshield removal, have them leave windshield intact except for single cut across base , matching up with cuts in lower A post.
    Results: 3 different roof options performed on same car.

Now to the dash:
    Locate and sever top rail member on both sides of vehicle prior to working that side.
    Jack the dash with spreader on driver's side of car.
    On passenger's side, you can roll dash with ram or roll with spreader. I like the spreader roll, using haligan bar driven into rocker as anchor point to spread of off, single relief cut into base of A pillar, and small notch taken out of upper A pillar near top hinge to use as a purachse point for upper spreader tip. (picture spreader opening at 45 degree angle inclined towards front end of vehicle.)
    Center console spread: open up plastic panel on side of dash to visualize location of dashboard support pipe(if present). Place spreader in center console area of vehicle oriented to front and open arms crushing the dash up until contact is made with pipe and entire dash raises. May need to place large cribbing block under spreader tip if floorboard gives way.
    Direct column lift with spreader: Depending on success of last evolution, there may be an opportunity to lift column directly with spreader. Ensure column is adjusted up as much as possible with driver's adjustable lever. Place spreader on center console area with top tip under steering column as near to where it goes under dash as possible. Carefully open spreader and lift column off patient.
    End results: 4 different methods of freeing occupant trapped by dash/ steering column.

Other evolutions: 1. pull pedals laterally with use of hose strap, 2. expose and cut seatback uprights to remove occupant seats,
    3. Cut one point of steering wheel and bend out of the way (finish by cutting wheel at 2nd point with alt. tool , ie. bolt cutters)
    4. sever steering column (be sure point out need to restrain steering wheel with strap, cut without restraint to demonstate potential to launch towards patient),
    5. remove entire front seat assembly by spreading/cutting mounting points on floor,
    6. force open trunk with haligan and screwdriver technique,
    7. perform trunk tunnel technique (open and remove trunk, work your way forward removing trunk brackets and rear seat hardware, work from and remove all items out the back, simulates car stuffed under semi trailer with no access to front or sides)
    8. now if your guys are still interested, perform some lifting evolutions using spreader or hi-lift jack or airbags, lifting vehicle at front wheel jacking point. Good chance to review crib box building and cribbing as you go.

All evolutions should take 1.5 to 2 hours to complete and NOTHING will be left of the vehicle. I'm sure others will have stuff to add. If you're unsure of how to perform various techniques (ie. maxidoor, jacking the dash, etc.), search the archives there's lots of good info out there.

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the spreader roll, using haligan bar driven into rocker as anchor point to spread of off,
    Hey Kevin can you expand upon this. I am interested. How do you drive the haligan into the rocker (which end). I would assume you drive the ads end and push off the flat end. As you spread do you get tearing where the haligan was driven in? I would love to try this next Thurs. we are cutting up 2 cars. The more info you can give me the better. Thanks.
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Use of haligan bar

Place the point down at the location you want to push from and drive into rocker by striking it with a flathead axe or maul. Place cribbing between this point and the ground. Fork end of the haligan will extend towards rear of car along rocker. Have a rescuer place their foot on fork end to keep it from moving. Be careful of any movement of haligan as you push off of it and stop before any negative reaction. I typically have done this on cars with their sides completely removed (so there's room for haligan). When driving in point, be aware of close proximity to fuel lines running alongside underneath rocker or electrical system components.
    Here's a photo I got off the web.( I believe credit should go to Ron Moore for this picture.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's another view. Scenario given was a critical patient trapped by the dash. Front door was opened at hinges and left attached to allow for dash roll(using spreader) pushing off of haligan. Then further displacement with spreader in more of a 'dash jack' manner. Second team did concurrent enlarging of rear window opening with hi-lift jack so patient could be removed out rear window opening as dash came up. Total time was only a few minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Thanks for the input.

FWIW, I want to demonstrate as many techniques on one car as possible for some new FFs who have no extrication experience yet. We also have a few new tools to try out.

I expect we'll be able to carry the car off in 5 gal. buckets when we're through.

One donor vehicle has no motor/transaxle so it's going to be pretty light. I figure it will be easy to "roll around" for some good stabilizing scenarios as well.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information