Default banning of chat by webteam on 1/16/04

The effects your banning of free chat on your webside has probably more negative effects than positive. you think you have cleared up a few disagreements in a chatroom but now you have made people mad. YOu had poor customer service. You directed your rude immature comments at both members and non members. The effects of your behavior can have long term effects of both people joining or even visiting your website. I will make sure I spread the word on how everyone got treated by a member of this website. You think you fixed a problem but I think your flying off the handle has possbily created a bigger problem than you think. Next time think like a professional and stay calm and deal with it in an appropriate individual basis. Would you punish everyone if this was a real job for a couple of people's behavior. Absolutely not. You say your a firefighter then you need to grow up and start acting like. I would hope you weren't on duty the day I needed help. And to firehouse maybe you should consider what kind of people work as a part of your webteam. Thanks
    Last edited by hems1998; 01-16-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Member

HUH?????????

Administrator

Translation:

We closed the chat room to 'anonymous' a.k.a. free users because it became out of control, and too difficult to manage without restricting it to only MembersZone Subscribers -- who are far easier to control and know 'who' they actually are and aern't signing up multiple accounts and such.

There was no one incident, just alot of inappropriate activity and discussions and after five years of dealing with it, we felt it was in the best interest (since no one would ever be able to monitor it 24/7), to restrict it to a more professional level. In the long run, it may end up being only used for scheduled chats with industry experts.

The 'poor customer service' referred to likely is references that some people in the chat room needed to grow up and be adults, rather than attack people simply doing their job and enforcing rules that are clearly outlined about respecting other users, or felt we had an obligation to maintain a free for all chat service that wasn't restricted, or spend countless hours managing a chat room, that for the final time in its life, just was completely out of control.

Thanks for those that continue to support us. Its a large site to manage, and sometimes these types of decisions must be made to ensure people coming here for the first time -- or the 1000th time -- don't end up seeing personal attacks, innuendo, get harrassed, or otherwise be shocked at what goes on in any part of Firehouse.com.

Again, its not one thing. There was no 'flying off the handle'. It was just a final decision that enough was enough. Its been on and off for the five years and its time to streamline who can chat within our site. Far too easy for people to have multiple accounts, mask their identity ... to a point if they do something wrong, its not worth the time to track them down because they end up coming back under an assumed name, etc.

In the end, we want a place where there is intelligent, professional discussion on topics that relate to Firehouse.com and its mission to inform and educate.

There are plenty of places online where a free for all is more than acceptable. This isn't one of them.

WebTeam

Default Lemme get this straight

Webteam...
    Let me get this straight....what you are saying is...is that if we are not "free" users...we have permission to act any way we like? Well gee lets see...yeah that sounds real fair. I think maybe you need to take a look at MOST of the things we talk about in there. I mean come on...we talk about FF and EMT's ALOT!! So what we fall off the subject sometimes. But i think that the way you make it sound is that if we PAY then we can act anyway we want....and thats just WRONG.
    Maybe next time, you should take names and then ban those certain ppl from chat rather then punishing all of the non payers. I am not saying I am perfect cause I know that I am far from it. YEs I have had my share of fights and cussing in there, but I have alos gotten alot of suport from fellow FF's in there and a lot of good advice. Kinda doesnt seem right that now it has all been taken away.

Forum Member

WT, I'm not trying to stir the crap, so please don't take it that way.

I never used the chat service, but it just seems unfair to punish the group because of a few.

Also, why can't the WT require a valid email address when registering. When they register with an email address, make it required that n email automatically be sent to that email and then have them go to the site to verify their registration. Log the IP addresses when they register, along with dates and times. If you have problems then, there is a way to track people.

I'm just making a suggestion, not teying to stir the pot.

Like I said, I never used the chat service, but it appears others did and liked it.

However, if it was cancelled due to manpower or money issues on your part, I do understand...

Lightbulb The FH Chat

This is the most stupidest thing i have ever herd!! if your gonna ban the chat then ban the WHOLE chat. if your gonna punish people then punish all or none. i feel that i am obligated to pay to talk on a chat to learn more about MY future in the fire service. Is this what you call brotherhood and sisterhood?....lets think here guys. The way this nonsense was handled, was just as bad as what happend. if you cant handle the chat then you shouldnt be aloud to be in the chat. If you can enforce the laws/rules in the chat then there shouldnt be a chat for anyone! i feel that im not the only one concerned about this!

thanx for your time,
    chris (8c)

Thumbs up

Well said Chris!!! you have totally made a good point there...we go there for support from our brothers and sisters in the service and now that a few ppl get outta hand..( me included) everyone gets punished. I know a few "paying" chatters that have caused more trouble then our non-payin chatters....but does the Webteam care?? NO...wanna know why?? Cause they are getting thier MONEY from them now and thats all that matters. Too bad that the WT has to be so shallow.

Truckie

I'm going to copy a post from my friend Duffman: Seems to me that if the chat room is so important to these people $25.00 a year to become a member would be a bargain.
    If you like it, pony up.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Administrator

If anyone thinks money has anything to do with it, you truly need to rethink that.

The chat room is not worth the pain it was to manage because adults could not be adults. Bottom line.

Anyone can have 10 email addresses, 10 userids, and act like children all night long. Its no longer going to happen here.

In all honesty, its just a chat room that a very small percentage of daily users even visited. Is it worth having someone spend hours a day moderating trash because adults can't be adults, versus using that time updating stories, photos, and content visited by 35,000-50,000 people a day. No.

Thank you

money has nothing to do with it WT...i think what ppl are so upset about is that it seems like EVERYONE is being punished for others actions...i love FH and i will continue to surf your site...

Administrator

There is far more than ONE person who acted inappropriately. This has been on and off for five years. The time it would take to adequately moderate the chat, remove the users who constantly come back, coordinate banning and notifying users who violate the TOS, would be too extreme.

A review of the logs for the last week found literally dozens of violations, including content so far over the top the decision was made easy. If we had the time and resources to dedicate to managing the chat, we would. But in the end, this is site is a news and information site, and when we have to worry that a child or teen or every day adult visiting our site may venture into the chat room and see multiple people attacking each other, calling each other names, etc., thats the breaking point.

Every part of the site must represent what Firehouse.com is about. In the very near future, we'll be doing scheduled chats with industry experts.

We're sorry this decision came about, but in the end after seeing what had been taking place, the decision was easy. Someday, perhaps when the technology makes it easier to remove users forever (which is unlikely since users can use multiple userids, email addys, computers, etc) or the resources exist to make chat even a bigger part of the site in some means, perhaps it will return.

Until then, its just an added bonus in the total package for MembersZone features, for now, but honestly at times over the past years worrying about what takes place in chat sometimes outweighs its benefit.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Default banning of chat

To WT:

well as I said before this is discrimination. and it seems several people agree with me and the people that were in chat earlier that your punishing us just because we don't pay and your punishing people who didn't do anything. The only people that should be punished are the ones that there are formal complaints against. There is a way to make complaints against people and if this didn't get done against people then I don't think you should have banned us all. Your punishing alot of those that did for the most part talk EMS/Fire. We are professionals even though you don't believe so and OH MY GOD we deviated from talking about our jobs on occassion. We are not perfect. You might think you are and there is one thing I have learned in this world. People in this profession who think they are perfect kill people. So are you one of those people. If so maybe it's time you consider a different profession. As far as what you have done it's discrimination just because we didn't pay. So if this isn't a money issue what is. Because to me it looks like to me that you are saying chat is going to be better because those people pay for it and your saying that none of the issues were caused by for people who pay for this service. I think this should be a ban all or none if your going to punish innocent bystanders. So maybe you should reconsider banning the people who have actually violated the rules and let us who have done nothing wrong but stand up for ourselves while you made an attempt to bash us all by calling us unprofessional and acting childish while you were acting the same way today. thanks for your time.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! READ WHAT WEBTEAM HAS POSTED ... OVER AND OVER!!!

IT IS NOT ABOUT MONEY! It is about being able to keep track of and identify users.

Oh forget it, I'm not going to bother repeating what the webteam has repeated a few times tonight.

Give it up, all of you! Suck it up and shut up!!!

I sincerely hope this is the LAST WORD on both threads!

I've already left the forums once tonight because I got tired of reading this juvenile crap.

WT you have been more than patient this evening, explaining and justifying the decision, which is NOT required.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Default chatting

we get the picture it's not about the money and if you don't like this topic then dont' read about it. it's as simple as that. it is about however that people who haven't subscribed and didn't do anything wrong have been discriminated against. it should be an all or none chatroom. if we can't all chat then none of us should be allowed to chat. if they have time to harrass and ban people who didn't do anything wrong then they should have the time to weed out the bad apples. one person made a comment to webteam and he sided with them and flew off the handle. this was the most unprofessional act I have seen in a long time. If this was real life and a job do you take benefits away from 1/2 your staff and not the other 1/2. ummm no. you would be in court in a heart beat. so I think it should be all or none with the webteam doing there best to weed out the bad apples. and to top it all off you don't know me so I appreciate not being told to shut up.

Forum Member

Do you people whine this much at the fire department???????? It's a darn chat room. If you want to chat, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!. If you have that much of a problem with the WT and their actions, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. NOBODY IS FORCING YOU TO BE HERE. And as was said before, if you don't like what I have to say, don't read it!!!

dazed and confused

Default Whining

Wow. Lame.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

The terms "Grow Up" and "Get Over It" suddenly come to mind.......
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Administrator

Thanks for everyone's support.

It is JUST a chat room. We have no duty to provide a chat room, just like we have no duty to provide any service. If we choose to change what exists on the site, what content, what features, thats OUR choice.

There are plenty of places to chat free online. One of them is no longer Firehouse.com.

The decision is done. There is clearly no need to discuss it further, as its not going to change.

This thread is closed.

Thread Information