Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Firefighter/Lawyer

Are there any firefighter/lawyers out there? If so, did you attend law school while you were a firefighter? I would like to go to law school and continue firefighting. I work a 56 hour week.

Whew !!!!!!!!!!! at least he wasnt asking about the house fire thread !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Not yet anyway.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Hundreds if not thousands of law school grads every year, and they're all looking for work.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

I know 2 guys on Providence and one on West Warwick that are all lawyers. All of them were firefighters first and went to law school at night. I assume they found fill ins while at class.

MembersZone Subscriber gordoffemt's Avatar

Talking Sing it with me...

"What the world needs now... is not another lawyer!

Do some real good for someone, go to med school!

Seriously, good luck to you, whatever you choose.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Just a thought...

http://www.lawschoolbible.com/

If you are going to be a lawyer, then by God be on the side of good.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

The President of my Fire Department is a Lawer employed with the State. He has his FF1 and Haz-Mat Certs and is a Medical First Responder too.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Wow, My Chance To Offer Advice To A Lawyer.........

Read the Trade Publications. There are columns written by Lawyers who also happen to be Fire Chiefs, or FFs, or something. Write or email them and ask how they did it. Chief Phil Stittleburg, Head of the National Volunteer FIre Council is another one to ask. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not a lawyer but my wife is, after making a career change about ten years ago, and I felt like I could have passed the bar exam after living with her those three years of law school. So giving you my qualifications I tell you this:

1. Unless you can pull a 4.0 GPA or have family connections the big firms (+money) will not look at you, there are too many that will have those grades or connections.

2. Lisa tried working PART-TIME her first year and all she accomplished was wearing herself out and nearly ruining her GPA (See 1)

3. On the other hand you never know until you try. I know of a firefighter that just completed his Ph.d finishing all his degrees on shift, working after hours at the station and on his off time, so I am sure it can be done if you are willing to pay the price. There are no dress rehersals in life, you get one shot, follow your dreams, leave nothing on the table.

4. One final note, Lisa says the worst part about being a lawyer is having to deal with other lawyers, go figure, and good luck.

FossilMedic

I did not do law school, but I took 3.5 years to get a master's degree while working a 56 hour shift on a moderately busy (6-8 runs a tour) engine company. It can be done. I know of a District of Columbia firefighter who completed engineering school while working on a busy heavy rescue company.

Couple of suggestions:

1) Obtain "Getting What You Came for: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning a Master's or Ph.D" Robert L. Peters (1997) Noonday Press ISBN 0374524777 $15 retail, $10.50 amazon. It is one of the more pragmatic guides to obtaining an advanced degree. Covers NOTHING about law school, but I am sure you can find a similar book.

2) Get in and participate with an academic support group - a group of like-minded folks who will help each other out (notes, study groups, etc.)

3) Research your exchange-of-shift and leave policies with your anticipated school schedule. It was difficult for me to get annual leave or exchanges during hunting season/holidays but I was able to "purchase" a one-way shift exchange when I really needed to be in class.

4) As others suggest, talk to those who did it. You are not the first working firefighter going to law school (Jim Page did it in the 1970s as a LA County Captain). Suggest you try the local bar associations. You should also check with the local/state IAFF and IAFC offices, firefighter-litigators are a rare breed.

Check Page, Wolfberg & Wirth - while they are an ems specialty law firm, they may know of some folks like you: http://www.pwwemslaw.com/

Good luck!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 01-18-2004 at 09:16 AM.

Forum Member

Thank you for your replies.

I will use my degree for GOOD not evil. People sue fire departments and firefighters often. I would like to help defend these departments and firefighters.

Better head over to Niles, Ohio, my friend

Thread Information