Default I Agree,but............

My opinion, and my department's policy is to put the fire out. That having been said, we need some more information. Keep in mind the liability faced if you operate outside of your jurisdiction without a mutual a request. What if a member of your department was injured or killed in a fire in your jurisdiction because you were doing another department's work for them? I work for a municipality, and we respond to any request for mutual aid, but it can get out of hand. If you show up you better do your job, even if it is for a freeloader. What I want to know is why did Niles respond out of their jurisdiction without a mutual aid request in the first place?

Put it out, if you get it out.

Forum Member

First off, you started a new thread instead of posting to the earlier thread. I won't go into the rest in this one since it is all in the other forum

Forum Member

I believe if I read the story right they didn't respond out of their district and that is what is stirring the hornets nest up here! They sat at their city limits and watched until the primary department arrived. Our policy is to help, and we will be covered by insurance, but we also have great auto and mutual aid agreements with surrounding deparments. If we arrive and it's not ours we start operations, notify the right department, and get things rolling until they arrive and assume command then it is theirs and we will gladly continue to assist them as needed. Be easy on the Niles Firefighters cause I'm sure they wanted to fight it as bad as anyone but they were following orders from there officers. Not saying I agree with decision, but just saying I'm sure the majority of the Niles guys probably feel the same as the majority of readers.
    Last edited by lieutenant109; 01-16-2004 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

Please go to the main thread in the FF's forum here. There isd much discussion on there about this. By the way, nowhere in the article does it say they were following orders..........

Forum Member

Exclamation

Be easy on the Niles Firefighters cause I'm sure they wanted to fight it as bad as anyone but they were following orders from there officers.

Never said it was from the article!

Forum Member

There lack of action puts the in the same boat as the OIC. You have to have the common sense to understand what orders are not to be followed. Firefighters are not mindless robots, and in my department had we been told not to fight the fire, we would have told that OIC to go to hades, and we would have put the fire out.

Thread Information