Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Chriso I think Canada is so diverse that every province, city or town has very different challenges in providing fire services. Obviously throwing water around in below freezing temperatures is no fun. Especially in Southern Ontario where it is the coldest!(relax Westerners I'm Kidding)
    Toronto faces the same kind of problems as almost any major city in North America with high-rise offices and apartments, subways, harbour front, crowded neighborhoods, small narrow streets etc. It also still has a bit of farmland in one area. For more info you can check www.city.toronto.on.ca/fire and for pictures of apparatus and stations www.torontofirepics.com.
    As far as vollies vs career, I have found that there are good firefighters and not so good firefighters everywhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up A good day

Thank you all for your replies. I've found loads of links from different sites. Keep your comments rolling in though, it's good to hear from you all. I'm trying to piece together all that I need to know before I make the big move.

One more thing I need to know about is communities. Are there any many bad places to live in on the Outskirts of Toronto or the surrounding area. I don't fancy living in the city, perhaps Missisauga/Hamilton region.

Default Re: Volunteer firefighters

Pfire23...I happen to know of Volunteers from 2 different towns in Ontario. Which I will not say, and will not give stats. about. Because, they involved serious accidents, re: fire scenes, car accidents, that were not handled probably.
    This was from the words of a couple of full time firefighters, who work as part-timers in these towns, besides the fulltime, they have in the bigger cities.

I can give you one example of a situation that happened, though, just to give you an idea, why I had said what I said.
    Example...that actually happened ...
    Firefighters at a car accident scene in small rural town in Ontario - (0NE) firefigher is directed to hose the burning car down...this (ONE) firefighter says, no way...I am not going near that car, I will get burned. He refuses to assist at the scene. He arrived, as most volunteer firefighters arrive, from where ever they are, usual from home. This firefighter was intoxicated.

I am NOT trying to put down anyone here. Especially firefighters. And if the truth, bothers anyone, I am so, that the TRUTH hurts.
    Trust me, it hurt me alot more, as I lived in a rural area for 15yrs.

So, maybe the question will never be answered, if because of feeling angered by, the truth, it is impossible to actually clear the air here.
    Sincerely,
    Light up

Default RE: Criso, hopefully not getting bad vibes about Canada

Hi Crisco,
    I wish you much luck coming to Canada. There are plenty of nice places, to live in Ontario

Well Lightup, I appreciate your attempt at giving "facts", but unfortunately "hear say" is not fact. Just because a "full time" firefighter gave his/her "opinion" on an incident doesn't make it fact. I think lots of people are morons, doesn't make it fact, it merely makes it my opinion. Lots of people think I'm a bitch, doesn't make it fact, merely makes it their opinion. Remember believe very little of what you hear, very little of what you read and always double check what you think you've seen with your own eyes. Remember until you have witnessed something FIRST HAND nothing you "think you know" is factual. There are 3 sides to every single story out there: Your side, My side and the TRUTH; the truth being that which is based on fact.

Originally posted by Lightup
    Pfire23...I happen to know of Volunteers from 2 different towns in Ontario. Which I will not say, and will not give stats. about. Because, they involved serious accidents, re: fire scenes, car accidents, that were not handled probably.
    This was from the words of a couple of full time firefighters, who work as part-timers in these towns, besides the fulltime, they have in the bigger cities.

I can give you one example of a situation that happened, though, just to give you an idea, why I had said what I said.
    Example...that actually happened ...
    Firefighters at a car accident scene in small rural town in Ontario - (0NE) firefigher is directed to hose the burning car down...this (ONE) firefighter says, no way...I am not going near that car, I will get burned. He refuses to assist at the scene. He arrived, as most volunteer firefighters arrive, from where ever they are, usual from home. This firefighter was intoxicated.

I am NOT trying to put down anyone here. Especially firefighters. And if the truth, bothers anyone, I am so, that the TRUTH hurts.
    Trust me, it hurt me alot more, as I lived in a rural area for 15yrs.

So, maybe the question will never be answered, if because of feeling angered by, the truth, it is impossible to actually clear the air here.
    Sincerely,
    Light up

Intoxicated firefighters, been discussed to death, again DON'T generalize. Remember what happens in rural departments also happens in city firehouses as well. Truth doesn't hurt me one bit Lightup, WHEN that truth is based on FACT, when you can present me with facts and figures, when you can tell me "I was on THAT scene and I SAW that with my OWN eyes", then it might become fact (I'm not a very trusting person) Just because someone says something, doesn't make it truth, how many people claim innocence in front of a judge each year, they've said it was true ......... is it? Oh I know, courts rely on FACT and EVIDENCE to support their claims, I'm like a court...... give me facts and give me HARD EVIDENCE to back your statements.

Thanks for your reply.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Lots of people think I'm a bitch, doesn't make it fact, merely makes it their opinion.
    Awww Jenn, you're making this wayyyyyyy too easy!!!

Well Karen, gotta give a little some days ya know
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Default Be Advised.......

OPINIONATED BIATCH-PROVOKE AT OWN RISK
    These words should be well heeded
    Guinness....a meal in a can!
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy ENOUGH!!!!

Please ladies put the handbags down. I'm not looking for peoples opinions or personal arguments. I'm looking for facts about the job.

If you would like to continue please start a new thread.

Chriso, I'm very sorry if you feel that my defending the fire service in CANADA is a bad thing. The way I see it, you came and asked a valid question and were given a NEGATIVE view of the service in MY country. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no need to give a negative view point without having the facts to back it up. As with anything else there is good and bad and there is no need to give the entire rural (which is generally volunteer) a black mark. You specifically asked about volunteer departments and I'd hate for you to develop a negative thought about it based on narrow minded opinion. Again, sorry if you felt I was being anything other than standing up for what I believe in, rest assured I'll not post on YOUR thread again.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Default A New Thread sounds good to me! But.....

The Canadian Forum is "NOW ALIVE"!

I proudly waive my Canadian Flag!
    I can eat Canadian Mac Donald hamburgers, and still live to
    talk about it....in the Canadian Forum!

I head over to the neariest Tim Hortons, and hug my
    Canadian Fire Firefighters! (wink)

And if I had the chance, I would trade in my G-string, for
    bunker gear today, but since I can't, I salute all who are
    brave enough to live the life of a firefighter!

Eh! Canadians! A PEACE LOVING COUNTRY (peace keepers)and all that
    good stuff!
    So, on that note....I have come back in here to keep the peace!
    Pass the Timmy's Please.

Default Re: Crisco

Crisco,
    Hopefully you did not get a bad impression from this site.
    You will love the Canadian Firefighters, and you will love Ontario.
    Re: Small town departments....I guess if your going into that type of thing you will find out for yourself.

Vaughan is just outside of Toronto. Vaughan is a city in itself.
    The have a few divisons as they are big.
    Thornhill, Woodbridge, Maple, Klienburg, etc.
    It is actually better then the city of Toronto to live in...so some people say.

There are small towns just on the outskirts of Toronto.
    I can tell you some of the ones that are really nice....Bolton,
    Beeton, Schomerg, and a few other towns that are close by them as well.

If your looking to rent when you come here, Real Estate Agents can even help with renting. Via the internet...they can send you infor. regarding prices, and pictures...and now they have virtual tours you can see the whole house inside....actually that is how, I got the place I live in. And the neighbour hood is great!
    I loved the virtual tour of the inside of the house. And that way, you can see what your actually getting.

All the best too you again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Housing

Thanks for the information regarding small towns lightup. I'm now searching real estates but it does not mean much unless you hear comments from others. Your right those virtual tours are great.

I don't have a bad impression of Canadia firefighters, not one little bit, if anything I'm glad to see that people can be passionate about the job. PFire23 obviously loves the job and wants to defend it, that's great but the argument had nothing to do with me and it was beginning to take over my thread.

Thank you ALL.

Forum Member

You should really concider coming West Chriso. Here in the Land of Milk and Honey (Alberta) we all make 6 figure salaries, the beer is cold and free, all the women are gorgeous and we only pay 50 cents a gallon for gas after the secret oil company rebates all Albertans receive(we still don't recognize liters). We also don't pay taxes because the oil companies pay them for us so we'll keep quiet about the above mentioned secret rebates.

Forum Member

So you're telling me that all that whining from the West is nothing more than a diversion? Meant to make those of us in Ontario think you're so hard done by????
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Originally posted by LadyCapn
    So you're telling me that all that whining from the West is nothing more than a diversion? Meant to make those of us in Ontario think you're so hard done by????
    Not quite. We just figured that since Quebec is so quiet lately, somebody has got to do the whining in this country.

p.s. LadyCapn, how are you going to celebrate when you break the 1000 post barrier? (here's your excuse)
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Talking

No, It's actually meant to make sure that those of you in Ontario remain in Ontario, if you knew how good we actually had it out here you'ld move west and then elect people like Sheila the liar out here. We are glad to have all of the Maritimes and Newfoundland living here but we draw the line when it comes to "Upper Canadians". (he said with tungue planted firmly in cheek, I love all Canadians including Upper ones, I also love my Upper teeth but they tend to cause me more pain than my lower ones, if you catch my analogy).

You would be welcome out here LadyC but some of your politicians wouldn't be.

By the way on a polical note, don't you think that Belinda Stronach looks far better in a cocktail dress than Paul Martin. Then again they both look better than Sheila.

Last edited by manofire2; 01-22-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Forum Member

But will she pose near naked in robes and briefcase ala Kim Campbell?

As for dear ol Shiela, we share a hometown and that's about it. In fact, even her hometown is getting tired of her.............

I didn't even notice the post numbers

Gee, and I always thought I was pretty quiet
    IACOJ

Forum Member

But will she pose near naked in robes and briefcase ala Kim Campbell?

Kim who?

By the way on a totally different subject, if your a CFL fan watch for Doug Flutie in a Ti-Cats uniform next year. I had the pleasure of sitting next to a guy from Hamilton on the way home from the Grey Cup in B.C. after the Ti-Cats won (it was a long time ago). He was very nice as long as he was passed out but every time he woke up he yelled the Osky Wawa thing in my ear. It got a little tired after about the 5th time. At about the 100th time even the Hamilton fans wanted him thrown out.

Forum Member

Kim Campbell, you know, the one who briefly took over after Brian Mulroney left in disgrace?

Oskewee Wee..........Oskewaa Waa......Holy Mackinaw......Tigers....Eat em RAW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good ol Pigskin Pete and T.C.

(whispers: been to more than a few of those games in my day)
    IACOJ

Thread Information