MembersZone Subscriber

Question Why is the Canadian forum so quiet?

I would like to hear a lot more from Canadian firefighters. I am looking to migrate there from the UK and would like to know a lot more about the job over there. You must have some practical issues to talk about like problems you must experience with firefighting water turning to ice in the winter months, rural area issues, anything just talk - please.

Forum Member

Default Winter

Because they're hybernating. Try back during the spring melt.

Default Hi, wow! your right, where are the canadian firefighters

Maybe someone should send out memo's to their departments.
    Let them know about this site. I am sure if they did they would be
    using it.
    Hi...don't know if an ex wife of a firefighter I was married to for
    15yrs...counts.
    But, I do some things about firefighting...mmmmm!

Hopper explosions can be unexpected explosions.
    Rural areas...mmmm! well....most are not even trained for firefighting, that is pretty damn scary.

Forum Member

Default Canadian link

Maybe the word can get out through this Canadian link:

http://www.new-recruit.com

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Cool Looking to the Left help

Just noticed to the left of the screen here....an advertisement for
    www.firehall.com < an all Canadian Site. Well, that would explain where all the Canadians are hanging out! But, I must admit, this www.firehouse.com is a great site too...I can see why it is so busy. Guess I will be going back and forth.

Forum Member

All the Canadians are invading our State Forums!!!!!!

Default I think Americans like to talk more

Actually, I think they are more open to talk about things. Canadians tend to take a back seat, and just observe.
    Americans get the ball rolling in chat rooms, forums etc.
    So, I guess we are like two good chemical subtances...when they come together, it can only be a good reaction!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Thanks for the info' folks but I still can't find much crack (conversation that is). I'll have to ask some of those Americans how to get Canadians started off.

Forum Member

Default Re: Hi, wow! your right, where are the canadian firefighters

Originally posted by Lightup
    Maybe someone should send out memo's to their departments.
    Let them know about this site. I am sure if they did they would be
    using it.
    Hi...don't know if an ex wife of a firefighter I was married to for
    15yrs...counts.
    But, I do some things about firefighting...mmmmm!

Hopper explosions can be unexpected explosions.
    Rural areas...mmmm! well....most are not even trained for firefighting, that is pretty damn scary.
    MMMMMMMMM, have you been to MOST rural Fire Departments Lightup???? Or are you making a generalization?? Be careful what you say because you will be asked for FACTS AND FIGURES to back up your statements and I AM asking you to back up that statement. While I agree that training may not be as intense as "big city departments" training and safety still take place, and are still priorities.

Originally posted by LightupActually, I think they are more open to talk about things. Canadians tend to take a back seat, and just observe.
    Americans get the ball rolling in chat rooms, forums etc.
    So, I guess we are like two good chemical subtances...when they come together, it can only be a good reaction!
    Speak for yourself, I have not ever, nor will I ever be merely "just an observer". I am a very vocal person and freely speak my mind and I don't give a hoot from where a person is from when I have something to say. Again, might I point out that making generalizations is not a good thing.
    Last edited by PFire23; 01-19-2004 at 01:22 PM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

<Sneaks across the border...much harder than it use to be..>

<Pulls our his flag and pole an d plants it in the ground>

I Hereby Claim This Land For the Great State Of OHIO!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Wow

Wow lightup I think you were almost attacked by the power of someone elses speach.

And one from Ohio. Is this a declaration of them now crossing city limits?

Now we are getting the crack going!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

PFire didn't attack Lightup, she defended herself as a volunteer firefighter.

Lightup's comments are offensive.

Why don't you research a few places you would like to move to and then ask some more specific questions. Canada is a big place I'm not a firefighter but I'm sure each department is unique in the types of challenges they face, be it ice and cold or heat and humidity.

Personally I would start a new thread, as this one has a bad tone. Perhaps with a more specific subject line as to what you are looking for. *UK FF looking for advice on work in Canada* or something like that if you get my drift.

There are also a few threads floating around that deal with the subject of UK firefighters relocating to Canada and/or the United States. Just do a search and see what you can find. I know some fire department links have been posted on those threads.

If the type of conversation you are interested in is fights or to stir things up, which is how I take your "now we are getting the crack going" comment then I would look elsewhere, we aren't interested.

Jeff never fear, your challenge has not gone un-noticed
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile So sorry

I do apologise if it seems that I'm looking for arguments - I can assure you that I am not. I simply found it funny that I cannot find much conversation regarding firefighting only when people are shooting each other down.

Let me try to start this one again:

I would still like to hear from firefighters in Canada, particulary in the southern Ontario region. I am looking to migrate there from the UK and would like to know a bit more about the job there. How to get into the volunteer departments etc.

I know I would have to re-take most of my qualifications and courses to work for a municipal service but I am looking into seeking work with a private fire and medical service and would like to know the minimum qualifications I would require. I would also be interested in volunteer work with any local department.

Forum Member

Chriso, just to clarify, I wasn't shooting anyone down, I was requesting facts to back statements made.

Anyway, the best suggestion I can give you is to look for Fire Departments in the geographical area that you are interested in moving to. Most of those departments will have websites, from there you can email each one individually and get precise information on what you would be needing in order to obtain the position you are interested in. Sorry I wasn't more help than that.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question A question for UK

Hi there Chriso, I have a question for you that I have been researching for some time now with no luck. Do UK fire brigades have Combat Challenge Teams. If so, do they compete internationally or is there a company that sets up competition within the UK? I know that the US MIL teams compete.
    Always wanted to know… Thanks
    http://www.whitehorsecombat.com
    http://www.firefit.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Combat?

I have to admit to looking at your website to find out what type of combat teams you meant wildman, I thought it was some sort of martial arts. I'm not sure if we have teams that do the same type of competition on your site but we do carry out many different challenges. A good site to find information on UK brigades is www.firenet.org there are links to most brigades and associated clubs.

I'm sure the world firefighter games are to be held in the UK this year, I'll let you know if I find a website for it.

Please let me know what the exact challenge is that your combat teams carry out while wearing BA and carrying the dummy - it looks tough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Games

I should have looked at your second website before replying to your message, I now know what it is about. I don't think there is a similar event in the UK although I have been known to be wrong. I do know of pump competitions that take place over here - getting a light portable pump to work from a dam, running out 4 lengths of hose (2x2 lengths) and knocking down a target. There may be others at the games - www.world firefightersgames.com

Forum Member

Default Re: So sorry

Originally posted by chriso

I would still like to hear from firefighters in Canada, particulary in the southern Ontario region. I am looking to migrate there from the UK and would like to know a bit more about the job there. How to get into the volunteer departments etc.

)
    You may want to look to the West of there. Although Southern Ontario is technically part of Canada we try our best to deny any connection, particularly with the "Mega-City".

PS. For any "Mega-City" persons who can read and may take offence, this is a joke.

In reality Chriso, Southern Ontario is quite nice and generally very friendly, just remember Canada is very large and keep an open mind to looking at all regions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks manofire2 the main reason I'm looking towards this area was an offer of work. I am lookin forward to seeing a lot more of the country though.

Wildman51 go to the world firefighter games web site and look into the 'games events' and have a look at the 'toughest firefighter alive' contest. I nearly fainted reading it!

Forum Member

Chriso,

I know that there were a couple of Departments that had participated in an exchange program of sorts with some Australian Departments,if I recall correctly I think Mississauga or perhaps Brampton was one of them. I remember reading a newspaper article about it. Other than that, as I said if you check the municipalities website periodically they will always advertise when they are holding firefighter applications. Also as I mentioned in a previous thread, keep checking www.workopolis.com as they always have the postings for most Southern Ontario cities. Kitchener-Waterloo just advertised I believe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chriso I think Canada is so diverse that every province, city or town has very different challenges in providing fire services. Obviously throwing water around in below freezing temperatures is no fun. Especially in Southern Ontario where it is the coldest!(relax Westerners I'm Kidding)
    Toronto faces the same kind of problems as almost any major city in North America with high-rise offices and apartments, subways, harbour front, crowded neighborhoods, small narrow streets etc. It also still has a bit of farmland in one area. For more info you can check www.city.toronto.on.ca/fire and for pictures of apparatus and stations www.torontofirepics.com.
    As far as vollies vs career, I have found that there are good firefighters and not so good firefighters everywhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up A good day

Thank you all for your replies. I've found loads of links from different sites. Keep your comments rolling in though, it's good to hear from you all. I'm trying to piece together all that I need to know before I make the big move.

One more thing I need to know about is communities. Are there any many bad places to live in on the Outskirts of Toronto or the surrounding area. I don't fancy living in the city, perhaps Missisauga/Hamilton region.

Default Re: Volunteer firefighters

Pfire23...I happen to know of Volunteers from 2 different towns in Ontario. Which I will not say, and will not give stats. about. Because, they involved serious accidents, re: fire scenes, car accidents, that were not handled probably.
    This was from the words of a couple of full time firefighters, who work as part-timers in these towns, besides the fulltime, they have in the bigger cities.

I can give you one example of a situation that happened, though, just to give you an idea, why I had said what I said.
    Example...that actually happened ...
    Firefighters at a car accident scene in small rural town in Ontario - (0NE) firefigher is directed to hose the burning car down...this (ONE) firefighter says, no way...I am not going near that car, I will get burned. He refuses to assist at the scene. He arrived, as most volunteer firefighters arrive, from where ever they are, usual from home. This firefighter was intoxicated.

I am NOT trying to put down anyone here. Especially firefighters. And if the truth, bothers anyone, I am so, that the TRUTH hurts.
    Trust me, it hurt me alot more, as I lived in a rural area for 15yrs.

So, maybe the question will never be answered, if because of feeling angered by, the truth, it is impossible to actually clear the air here.
    Sincerely,
    Light up

Default RE: Criso, hopefully not getting bad vibes about Canada

Hi Crisco,
    I wish you much luck coming to Canada. There are plenty of nice places, to live in Ontario

Forum Member

Well Lightup, I appreciate your attempt at giving "facts", but unfortunately "hear say" is not fact. Just because a "full time" firefighter gave his/her "opinion" on an incident doesn't make it fact. I think lots of people are morons, doesn't make it fact, it merely makes it my opinion. Lots of people think I'm a bitch, doesn't make it fact, merely makes it their opinion. Remember believe very little of what you hear, very little of what you read and always double check what you think you've seen with your own eyes. Remember until you have witnessed something FIRST HAND nothing you "think you know" is factual. There are 3 sides to every single story out there: Your side, My side and the TRUTH; the truth being that which is based on fact.

Originally posted by Lightup
    Pfire23...I happen to know of Volunteers from 2 different towns in Ontario. Which I will not say, and will not give stats. about. Because, they involved serious accidents, re: fire scenes, car accidents, that were not handled probably.
    This was from the words of a couple of full time firefighters, who work as part-timers in these towns, besides the fulltime, they have in the bigger cities.

I can give you one example of a situation that happened, though, just to give you an idea, why I had said what I said.
    Example...that actually happened ...
    Firefighters at a car accident scene in small rural town in Ontario - (0NE) firefigher is directed to hose the burning car down...this (ONE) firefighter says, no way...I am not going near that car, I will get burned. He refuses to assist at the scene. He arrived, as most volunteer firefighters arrive, from where ever they are, usual from home. This firefighter was intoxicated.

I am NOT trying to put down anyone here. Especially firefighters. And if the truth, bothers anyone, I am so, that the TRUTH hurts.
    Trust me, it hurt me alot more, as I lived in a rural area for 15yrs.

So, maybe the question will never be answered, if because of feeling angered by, the truth, it is impossible to actually clear the air here.
    Sincerely,
    Light up

Intoxicated firefighters, been discussed to death, again DON'T generalize. Remember what happens in rural departments also happens in city firehouses as well. Truth doesn't hurt me one bit Lightup, WHEN that truth is based on FACT, when you can present me with facts and figures, when you can tell me "I was on THAT scene and I SAW that with my OWN eyes", then it might become fact (I'm not a very trusting person) Just because someone says something, doesn't make it truth, how many people claim innocence in front of a judge each year, they've said it was true ......... is it? Oh I know, courts rely on FACT and EVIDENCE to support their claims, I'm like a court...... give me facts and give me HARD EVIDENCE to back your statements.

Thanks for your reply.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Thread Information