MembersZone Subscriber

Default Medical conditions during fire academy.

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in,but it seemed broad enough to give it a shot. I started the local college fire academy today and we did some PT training. I normally can run 3-5 miles with no problem. However today I had a sudden onset of difficulty in breathing which lasted roughly an hour.(symptoms included diff. breathing and blurred vision) A little background, as a child I was diagnosed with asthma,however I had not had any problems with asthma since I was 13 years old. The area we were training in was in dry dead grass (I live in the Phoenix area) with dust visible. The instructors recommended I see a doctor this week to get some medication. However I just got married this last weekend and I am no longer covered with insurance. Money is very tight right now, with a wife and kid. The dilemma I am facing is, do I quit the academy and work in the mean time to build up enough money for insurance and to support my family in the meantime, or take my chances with the academy and hope things get better. Any advice would be appreciated .

Cale

Forum Member

Cale,

Going to the doctor is of utmost importance. There several instances of recruits having major issues because of undiagnosed medical problems. You say you are concerned about finances and your family; well having you around daily is probably a whole lot more important to them than the alternative. Your health is too important to disregard. SEE A DOCTOR before you continue with the academy, don't take a foolish risk.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

What Jenn said!
    "Experience is the name everyone gives their mistakes." Oscar Wilde

Forum Member

Oh and one other thing...... let us know how you make out. Again I'm going to urge you to see your doctor at the earliest convenience. Even if it is asthma, and you say you used to have it, asthma is a killer when not treated, especially with exertion. You just started the academy, it's only going to require more and more of you physically as time goes on. Just a little something to think about.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

I fully supprot you first of all for not wanting to quit or give up. I can also understand how badly you want to finish and be a firefighter. But if you die in a training academy, how many people will that help? What about your family, and children? Go to the doctor, get checked out, talk to the fire department you are with, maybe they have a system to help. You don't have to neccesarily quit, but if you do then you you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Asthma

I would highly suggest going to the doctor. We had a recruit in our class who suddenly experienced some asthma related problems. She was already 4 weeks into it and the instructor asked her to leave the class because he was obviously concerned about liability etc. 4 weeks in recruit school is alot of time and work to waste when possibly a simple visit to the doc can get you on your way! Good Luck!

Forum Member

Ditto. Go to the Dr. and get evaluated, although I don't really understand why they didn't catch it in the physical before you started the Academy. (At least i HOPE they did a physical first)

Default I feel your pain.

I have Athletics induced Asthma. It took me 25 years, Marine Corps Boot Camp and two fire Academies to realize this. Itís not that big of a deal. I take Singular once a shift day and I am fine for the whole 24 hours. I canít answer your Medical coverage question. If I was in your shoes I would check with the City or Counties board of Health to see if there are Clinics, in your area, that may be able to help you out. Many times my Doctor Throws me Samples that last me months. Good Luck and donít be discouraged.
    ďJust when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better IdiotĒ

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Survival/health first

Ditto what so many others have said. Survival/health has to come first. You're no good to anyone if you're not around.

Low cost/sliding scale clinics might be the answer for you - it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition.

My brother had severe asthma for many years and now is O.K. with some occasional medication.

Don't trash your dreams but don't trash your health either!

Good luck - I hope you will keep us posted on your progress through this forum.

jt

MembersZone Subscriber

Seeking a Doctors care is the FIRST THING you should do to ensure that you are healthy. Regardless of your pursuit of finishing the fire academy. You will do your family no good being sick or possibly even dead.

Greg

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Update

Between my department,myself and my wife, we all decided it would be best for me to take this semester off and get my health in order before I take another attempt at the fire academy. As much as I hated walking away from the academy tonight, I also knew I needed to be healthy in order to be worth anything on the fireground. I would like to thank everyone who offered their advice, and hopefully one of these days in the not too distant future I can say I have graduated the fire academy.

Cale

Forum Member

Cale I know how hard that must have been for you to do, however it is the right thing. The academy will still be there when you are ready to go back. This is the right thing to do, you don't want health issues to cause you problems in the future. Thank you for keeping us posted, and please keep coming back to the forums. There is much to be learned here, and some pretty decent people too.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Thread Information