Thread: Help!!!!

Exclamation Help!!!!

explorers in valdez alaska are faceing being shut down if we dont get six more peopple! i have no idea what to do we are haveing a asembaly at the high school ande i am making a slide show for that but other then that we have no way of gettiung the word out!!!! if you have any ideas i would love to hear them

Forum Member

Take the initiative to deliver flyers door to door within your community. Put flyers/posters on bulletin boards around the community ie: laundromats, supermarkets, recreation centers, gyms etc. Have an open house with your explorer post at your department (with the Chief's permission of course, don't do anything without his/her permission). Talk to your local newspaper, see if they'd do a human interest story on your post. Hope this helps, these are just a few off the top of my head.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Well in Tammity hall.............

Hmm this is tough one,best thing we tried is goto the High schools and recruit be presentation. Flyers dont work cause teens dont read. Pfire is on to something about a human interest story--its nice to be mentioned outside the Police/Fire log.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Get out and personally approach kids and talk to them. Tell them what its all about. I would have never gotten into the Explorers if someone didnt come up and talk to me like they did. Now I love what Im doing, Ive been a firefighter for a few years now, and would of never found this interest if it wasnt for the explorers that were going around talking to people.

Forum Member

Put up posters at school. We did that and it generated some interest. Unfortunately, we had to weed out all but two because of prior history. We also have a slide on the cityís cable channel.

I'll definitely second what PFire said, getting an article in the newspaper about your post is an excellent way of recruiting new members. We were in the newspaper about three years ago, and it generated an awful lot of interest in the post. I'm sure it would do the same for you.
    Justin
    VP/Webmaster/EMT-B
    MDFR Post #1403

Forum Member

the best thing to do is let the community you exist. that is the major problem here, no one knows we exist. but slowly more and more people are finding out. do stuff in your local community. open house would be a good idea. but make it a deparment wide one. not alot if any will come to see just explorers, but they will come to see ff's.

or you could even have a day long event to simulate what it would be like to be a ff. these people you bring in would not go on runs but you could let them wear some gear. show them the trucks. show them what they would do. different tools you use, the scba's. and other stuff like that.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talk to any local fast food places and see if they would be willing to put tray liners in their trays for you. If so - develop a nice recruitment ad and have it printed on tray size paper.

Posters in school was a good idea - also see about putting posters up in any of the local hang-out's
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Talk to all the scout groups in the area. Offer to set up a recruitment night or offer to teach the fire safety merit badge.

I learned about the explorers when my scout troop went to the station for a CPR class. I decided it might be cool to check it out. Five years latter, Iím still active. (now if I could hurry up and get those darn certifications...)

Is there a CAP group around the area? We gained one explorer this way and now heís a FF with the department.

I hope it helps.

I think these were said above...but in my past experience as a Police Explorer (yeah, yeah, i know..but we deal with the same recruitment issues) We had the High School resource officer mention it to kids who he thought would be good candidates. Also a great idea is to advertise an open meeting for anyone who wants to be an explorer, use the schools, local TV (the station with municipal announcements, if you have one) and local newspaper to advertise it. At the meeting introduce everyone in the program, tell them what you are about and do some hands on training just so everyone whos thinking about joining can watch what you guys do. This all has worked well for us and we are the #2 ranked Police Explorer post in the nation (number one depending who you talk to).

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Default Here's an idea, as ridiculous as it may seem, it may just work

How about this... At the end of the school year, when you're wrapping things up and not really doing anything in classes anymore, have an assembly the firefighter way (With permission, of course) Clear a spot in the schools parking lot, have an engine or two there as well as handouts and information about your post. If your Explorers are allowed to fight exterior fires, like cars, have a car out there, and torch it a couple times and put it out to show that it's an interactive learning experience as well. The rescue squad here used to do things like that (well, doing extrication anyways) to get new members, it was basically a field day, and all the students loved it. I would strongly recommend doing it in the springtime or summer though, tends not to be very fun in the wintertime. Just takes a little arrangement with some senior firefighters and with the school administration, but it can be done.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Thread Information