Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Exclamation San Fran: 1st the Fire Chief, now the Police Chief

Woman picked as interim San Francisco police chief soon after woman fire chief sworn in

Sunday January 18, 2004
    By TAMI MIN
    Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) If you run into trouble in this city, look to a woman for help.

Mayor Gavin Newsom named Assistant Police Chief Heather Fong as his pick for interim police chief Sunday, two days after he swore in Joanne Hayes-White as the city's first woman fire chief.

If the city's Police Commission confirms the 26-year veteran's appointment this week as expected, San Francisco will have the rare distinction of having women lead its two key public safety departments.

Newsom, who wants Fong considered for the permanent job, had vowed to bring new leadership to a department still reeling from a scandal over a 2002 street brawl in which three off-duty police officers were accused.

Allegations that the department blocked an investigation into the brawl led to the indictments of then-Chief Earl Sanders, current Chief Alex Fagan Sr. and five other top commanders. Charges against the top brass were quickly dropped.

``It's time to move this department in a new direction,'' Newsom said at his announcement Sunday, held at a Vietnamese New Year's festival in the city's Little Saigon neighborhood.

Fong, who briefly served as acting chief during the scandal, said she wants to review investigation and discipline issues and improve technology within the department.

When asked if serving as acting chief is a tryout for the permanent position, Fong said, ``My whole career has been a tryout.''

Terrie Swann, president of the International Association of Women Police, applauded Fong's appointment.

``She deserves it. She's a wonderful leader and she's come up through the ranks,'' Swann said Sunday night.

Fagan has been appointed to head the city's Office of Emergency Services, which handles a range of security matters and disaster relief for the city.

Meanwhile, officials continue to search for a permanent replacement for the police chief position nationally.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Notice the she has 26 YEARS of experiance rather than the 14 of the so-called "fire chief" (fire administrator). I have not heard any outcry over this appointment....
    -------------------------------------
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

What is this country coming too. Lets look at these two woman who are going to lead San Franscisco Fire & Police in a year and see what they have done to improve or destroy either department.

I by the way I like women. I have always like women and by no means think they can't lead. I have benn married to two over the last 45 years. I have boots and turnouts older than the lady that will be trying to lead the fire department there.

What is it with all you guys creating threads just because women are all of a sudden leading a police dept or a fire dept? Is there not anything else better to comment on? Are you to insecure to accept the fact that there is a woman in charge of you? Do you feel less of a man because of a woman leading these two depts.? If so maybe you should find another profession. Maybe the woman that is leading the fire dept only has 14 years experience. But think about the women in the military that have made general, or any other flag officer assignments. The bottom line is, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. They must know their stuff if they are being put in these leadership roles. Time does have some pull because you have to have experience. But how many fires do you think she has seen in 14 years? Iím sure quite a few. Could the fact that she has gotten this job, made some of you jealous of her???? Now if in a year from now these women so called "destroyed" the depts as captoldtimer said, then ill eat my words, but are you ready to eat your words if they succeed?????

Originally posted by Hondaguy1980
    What is it with all you guys creating threads just because women are all of a sudden leading a police dept or a fire dept? Is there not anything else better to comment on? Are you to insecure to accept the fact that there is a woman in charge of you? Do you feel less of a man because of a woman leading these two depts.? If so maybe you should find another profession. Maybe the woman that is leading the fire dept only has 14 years experience. But think about the women in the military that have made general, or any other flag officer assignments. The bottom line is, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. They must know their stuff if they are being put in these leadership roles. Time does have some pull because you have to have experience. But how many fires do you think she has seen in 14 years? Iím sure quite a few. Could the fact that she has gotten this job, made some of you jealous of her???? Now if in a year from now these women so called "destroyed" the depts as captoldtimer said, then ill eat my words, but are you ready to eat your words if they succeed?????
    If you throw a fire textbook into a fire, will it go out?

If you throw a law book at an unruly mob, will they disperse?

Knowledge is Power? It looks like you have been watching a little too much "Schoolhouse Rock". For this job, knowledge is useless with out experience to make the right choice!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Wink

Well said CaptainGonzo!

What is it with all you guys creating threads just because women are all of a sudden leading a police dept or a fire dept? Is there not anything else better to comment on?
    This makes two threads that I posted. I thought it was a bit strange for the 14 year "vet" going from a 3 bugle to a 4 bugle and add in all of the other stuff going on there... I thought it was a good start to some rousing conversation!

Then the promotion of a woman to the other TOP SPOT in the same city within the same week!? Come ooooonnnn that does not sound fishy to you?

Are you to insecure to accept the fact that there is a woman in charge of you? Do you feel less of a man because of a woman leading these two depts.? If so maybe you should find another profession.
    Dude... chill out! I never said that I was against women in high rankling positions. If she can do the job fine... HOWEVER if someone is giving the job over a more qualified candidate... THEN I have a problem.

Maybe the woman that is leading the fire dept only has 14 years experience. But think about the women in the military that have made general, or any other flag officer assignments. The bottom line is, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
    What kind of knowledge are you speaking about. Book knowledge ONLY will lead to serious trouble. As stated before... Have you ever seen a fire go out by throwing a book at it!?

They must know their stuff if they are being put in these leadership roles.
    I will let this one speak for itself...

Time does have some pull because you have to have experience. But how many fires do you think she has seen in 14 years? Iím sure quite a few. Could the fact that she has gotten this job, made some of you jealous of her????
    Not EVEN CLOSE!

Now if in a year from now these women so called "destroyed" the depts as captoldtimer said, then ill eat my words
    I doubt this will happen...

but are you ready to eat your words if they succeed?????
    I eat my words all the time! Hell I will be the first to admit when I am wrong... but if memory serves me correctly I never threw anything on the table.
    Last edited by sconfire; 01-19-2004 at 06:52 PM.

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Then the promotion of a woman to the other TOP SPOT in the same city within the same week!? Come ooooonnnn that does not sound fishy to you?
    Let's see

>26 years on the job
    >named interim Chief, not permanent as yet
    >already served as acting Chief
    >has come up through the ranks of the Department
    >position will go to a nationwide search

Would appear to me that this temporary appointment is a natural progression for her career.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Hondaguy1980
    Maybe the woman that is leading the fire dept only has 14 years experience. But think about the women in the military that have made general, or any other flag officer assignments. The bottom line is, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. They must know their stuff if they are being put in these leadership roles. Time does have some pull because you have to have experience. But how many fires do you think she has seen in 14 years? Iím sure quite a few.
    OMG you have to be kidding right? You really think that they were put in these roles because of their knowledge? You are either extremely nieve or you literaly have your head in the sand. Remember - The Fire Chief has only TWO YEARS in the field. How many fires do you really think she has gone to? The Police Chief was only in the field for FOUR YEARS!! How many arrests you think she has really made? This is political expediancy plain and simple. Nothing but reverse sexism in order to please political elements.
    "An aggressive interior attack does not mean just going inside to put out a fire. THAT'S just doing our job...."
    IAFF Local 55

Originally posted by OFD226
    Remember - The Fire Chief has only TWO YEARS in the field. How many fires do you really think she has gone to? The Police Chief was only in the field for FOUR YEARS!! How many arrests you think she has really made?
    and you know this.... how?????????
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Dr. P,
    OFD is from Oakland. I think he has some inside contact with the SFFD. He is right across the river from them.

Just giving that info to you. No smart *****

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

he might have the contacts, but that makes no sense. she's on the department for 26 years, and only 4 of them are in the field? does that mean she walked a beat for 4 years, did such a great job, and was then promoted to desk seragant? and since then, she's just been in supervisory positions?

what our oakland friend is saying just isn't making sense with the info we are given. if he has more info, I'd be more than welcome to hear it. but to say she only has 4 years of field experience, then I would like to see what her record has been. for example, is she served as in the position of "Chief of Detectives" then while it's technically not a field position, I would definetly think it addeds to her qualifiability.

but if he has more info, please share what you know with the rest of us, so we arne't left in the dark.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Point taken...

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

hey look on the bright side Hillary
    ran the country for 8 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by DrParasite
    he might have the contacts, but that makes no sense. she's on the department for 26 years, and only 4 of them are in the field? does that mean she walked a beat for 4 years, did such a great job, and was then promoted to desk seragant? and since then, she's just been in supervisory positions?
    Per the Local News Stations she was on the "streets" for only 4 years combined, that includes all supervisory time as well. I am not sure of other commands that she has had, HOWEVER I will say that the outcry was minimal from the rank and file compared to the Fire Department's choice. However, since no one here is from SFPD, we will never know the convoluted politics that are that police department, and why she was chosen other than our speculations
    IAFF Local 55

The new mayor did say that it WOULD NOT be "politics as usual." I would say that THIS is not...

Thread Information