Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wildland trucks

Default wildland trucks

we are looking for a wildland engine like a 1 ton doally with a utility box can and body tell me who makes good wildland engines

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Most trucks come in two parts. The truck ususally comes from a dealership and the box and water tank come from another company such as Pierce and S&S

Forum Member

Check with some of the apparatus manufacturers web sites for ideas. Most of the major manufacturers will build wildland rigs.

You can also build you own by buying the chassis with a utility box and adding a skid unit that has tank, pump and hose reel mounted on a frame that fits in the box. There are a number of manufacturers of skid units such as Cascade Fire, Darley, Danko and many others.

Do your home work on the chassis. You need to calcuate the weight of the chasis, box, and skid unit to make sure that you do not overload it. The unit full of water should be a least 750 lbs under max GVW, preferrably more, to allow for crew, hand tools and whatever else you decide to carry.

If you are buying new, I would consider a higher GVW chasis such as a Ford F-450 or F-550. For some reason rigs tend to wind up with more equipment on them than originally planned.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Also make sure to check state laws about having CDL's. Some stated make emergency vehicles exempt some don't. And it depends on the weight of the truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hope you have lots of $$$ if you plan to buy fully equiped from the factory. They are not cheap. If you are looking for a better way jump on a bid with a local federal agency when they buy theirs or put you own together ( buy the chassis, send it out to get the bed and boxes built, buy a slip in pump and have a company that does this sort of thing do it the way you want). Do not change order any of the companies very much or the price goes UPUPUP FASTFAST. We now have 4 Type 6 engines with a 500 gallon slip in pump disiel plumbed and tank Ford 450 with heavy duty everything. Seats 3 with all the comfort of home. Lots of rooms for them and for any gear we want to put on it. Cost: around 55K

Forum Member

Hello,
    masterbody in calif makes a good truck, I think one of the better ones www.masterbody.com

also there is a company in idaho boise mobile equipment www.bme.com is there web page I think.

If your looking for a type 6 engine or more of a slip on buy the truck and then Air Kwik www.air-kwik.com

As burnovers have went on in calif, i know alot of depts are looking into have the engine curtains and hose wrap Storm King Mountain www.stormkingmtn.com

Stay Safe,
    Last edited by smketer; 01-31-2004 at 12:03 PM.

smketer, correction on the Boise Mobile website... www.bmefire.com

BME does some good rigs. They still use steel for the boxes.

S&S Apparatus are lighter, so there's more room for other gear before maxing out the gvw.

Like BCZimmerman said, buying fully built does cost more.

Good luck.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

What ever you choose to do, consider going with a heavier than 1 ton unit. We are currently building our own units, using Ford F-550s. We get more carrying capacity, and are less likely to fall into the firefighter overloading syndrom of velcro trucks. We purchase our cab and chasis from a local dealer, purchase a skid unit with foam proportioner, and then put storage boxes on the sides. A less expensive alternative than custom built, if you have your own maintenance shop or local resources. And we are putting out a very nice product.

MembersZone Subscriber

See https://www.hgacbuy.com for pricing ideas.

For example their current contract.

Ford

BA F-450 Conventional cab; SRA; 15000# GVWR; Ford 6.8L gas engine @ 310 HP; 5600# front axle; 11000# rear axle; 141/60 wheelbase/CTA; 4-speed automatic transmission Philpott Motors ######## $18,683.00

BB F-550 Conventional cab; SRA; 17500# GVWR; Ford 6.8L gas engine @ 310 HP; 6000# front axle; 11500# rear axle; 141/60 wheelbase/CTA; 4-speed automatic transmission Philpott Motors ######## $20,119.00

BC F-650 Conventional cab; SRA; 26000# GVWR; Ford 6.0L diesel engine @ 200 HP; 8500# front axle; 17500# rear axle; 158/84 wheelbase/CTA; 5-speed automatic transmission Philpott Motors ######## $29,013.00

BD F-750 Conventional cab; SRA; 33000# GVWR; Ford 6.0L diesel engine @ 200 HP; 10000# front axle; 21000# rear axle; 158/84 wheelbase/CTA; 5-speed automatic transmission Philpott Motors ######## $29,713.00

Forget about the window sticker at your local car dealer. No reason to go with a "puny" little 1T. If you can afford to buy new the up charge to go to a real truck is not much.

Forum Member

I would also suggest going with the heavier Ford F450 or F550, the price increase is pretty minimal and 4x4 is still a standard option, to get 4x4 on the F650+ you need to go through the after market. A 1 ton can just barely manage 200 gallons and 150 is more realistic, ys there are some out there who go beyond this but it puts the vehicle well over the GVW which results in more stress to the vehicle and poor performance (the poor brakes get really over loaded), I've seen 1 tons with 200 gallons crack the frame with only 2 years of moderate use. The F450 can easily take 250-300 gallons and still have weight to spare while the F550 can take up to 500 gallons (although in my opinion this should be limited to 350-400 gallons so the truck isn't maxed out).

The use of a flat bed with a slip on and utility boxes is a very economical way to go. Cascade in Oregon or Washington (I forget) makes some very nice slip on units but there are several others out there who do as well. Some don't like the flat bed method since it can look tacky but I've seen many done this way that look very professional, its just a matter of doing a nice job during the instalation.

I wouldn't bother with CAFS in my opinion it is too expensive and over rated but a class A foam system is well worth the money, There is a cheap one out there for about $500 known as a Blizzard Wizard which works quite well for the price or for more money the Foam Pro which I think runs about $1500-2000, but it is a very nice unit that computer controls the amount of foam injected allowing effective use of less than 1% foam while the blizard wizard seems to run 1-2%. The Robwen Foam unit works very well too but I've found it to be the most maintenance of the three and it is also the most complicated to operate, it isn't much cheaper than the Foam Pro either.

If you do go with an F450 or F550 they use an odd size rim, 19.5" most of the tires for this size are for RV's so most are glorified street tires but Goodyear makes a good off road tire in this size made for industrial use, I don't recall the designation (G33 IIRC) but you will probably have to have the tire guy search, tell them it is often used in mining. Of course since the F450/550 has been out a few years this tire issue may not be a problem anymore, I was dealing with the tires the first year these trucks were available. Also check the air cleaners often, hopefully by know they have addressed it but the early trucks had the intakes mounted behind the front tires which resulted in frequent filter changes.

Also for any brush engine I suggest going with a Diesel engine, I've seen several fires started by the catalytic converters on gasoline powered brush trucks plus the diesels have more torque which is useful off road and pulling hills with the kind of weight a loaded engine carries, it is a pretty good chunk of money to upgrade to the diesel but I think most would agree it is worth it in the long run.
    Last edited by NonSurfinCaFF; 02-16-2004 at 03:33 PM.

Thread Information