MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Any Strange, unexplainable things

Anybody out there ever seen anything unexplainable while going to, coming from, or at a call? Something that was so far out of the scope that no one would believe you. Has your department ever been called to something that just did fit the norm in anybody’s book this side of the SiFi channels scripts? Reason for the post is based on something I saw on SiFi the other week. I was flipping channels and stopped on this scene in a firehouse in Somewheresville, PA. These old guys were sitting around talking about being dispatched to a crash and all of a sudden the military shows up and tell them to leave. (probably an experimental aircraft that went down) Anyway that’s about all of it I watched then the other day I got one of my normal magazines and they had a section about UFO and how it was up to fire department and local police to mitigate the scene until someone else got there. I laughed at that. Anyway if you have ever seen anything strange, not just UFO related, send it in. Never had the…….pleasure myself of seeing anything like that but share if you have.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question You Never Know...............

Driving our Ambulance about 3am, returning from the hospital, saw 5-6 Police cars on what looked like a traffic stop. Got closer, saw guns drawn, and we continued on by, Quickly. Later, 2 of the cops that we saw stopped by the station and, when asked, denied the whole thing. Never did find out what happened.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

How about a house sliding down the street? Man was that a mess!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Originally posted by ffexpCP
    How about a house sliding down the street? Man was that a mess!
    Well don't tease like that ... how about some details?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

also checkout the EMS forum ...........I think we discussed "twilightzonesque" type of things there as well not to long ago............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

There's another thread floating around with some pretty weird stories, maybe in Off Duty? Jenn might remember what it is called.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary

Well don't tease like that ... how about some details?

Well then, it’s story time. A few years ago, a lady in my town sold her property but decided to take her house with her. She hired a house moving contractor for the job. She obviously went with the discount company. The company had only one possible route since any other direction would require moving a foot bridge or overhead pole traffic lights. About a quarter mile into the move they get to a 90* turn and the biggest hill in the city. This is when it went bad real quick. The semi wasn’t powerful enough to pull it up such a steep grade so they tried doing it in steps. They would move a foot or two and then throw chalks under the wheels. Finally, something gave and the house slid off the trailer and onto the road. When it slid, one of the support beams hit a 12 y/o kid who was under the truck moving the caulks. The kid was the owner’s son but I’m sure OSHA had a field day. The house finally stopped when the phone company’s truck became one with the garage. At the same time the garbage truck was turning the corner and took out a cop car responding for the rescue. All attempts to move the house failed. We had to wait several hours for the owner to remove the contents of the house before we could demolish it. The boy escaped with minor injuries but the house is history. The city seized the contractor’s equipment until they could pay for the expenses incurred. Some of the equipment is still sitting in the city impound yard today.

I’ll try to post some pictures when I come home for spring break.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Strangest thing to ever happen? We got paged out one day and all 12 firefighters who responded were sober. Scared the heck out of me for a week.

MembersZone Subscriber

With all that has gone on in the last twelve months, I fail to see the humor in your comment. . .
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Originally posted by ullrichk
    With all that has gone on in the last twelve months, I fail to see the humor in your comment. . .
    Ditto.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Yeah I don's see the humor in that either......
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

Forum Member

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Question

I certainly hope that’s just an ill-timed joke.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Cellblock776
    Strangest thing to ever happen? We got paged out one day and all 12 firefighters who responded were sober. Scared the heck out of me for a week.

I will echo the sentiment that this is in very poor taste. Even if it were said in jest, which I'm trying really hard to believe that it was, it's not funny. There have been debates too numerous and heated to mention regarding alcohol and the Fire Service. The fact that you allude to members of your Department responding while under the influence at any time IS SICKENING. Dark humor is fine, but like everything else there is a time and a place and believe it or not there is even a line not to be crossed.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Please tell me you are joking.... if not... shame!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Any Strange, unexplainable things
    Lot's of posts from "new" members since the Chat was closed. Lot's of 1 time posters spouting off about how bad a certain FD is because they are soooo much better.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

What's happened in the past 12 months?
    Look, drinking in part of the culture. For Instance, a FF is home with the BBQ grill fired up and is working through a 6 pack when the pager goes off for a bad wreck or a working fire. He jumps in his vehicle and responds. They may pick up a truck or respond directly but they will get there and go to work. The FF may perform CPR on a patient. The good news is that the patient may survive but the bad news is that the patient will blow a .08 in the breathalizer after it's over.<-Now that's a joke.
    It happens. Others have tried to change it and run into a brick wall.
    The topic of the post was strange things we have seen. I posted my reply. If you don't have anything to post on that topic then please move on to the next thread.

Forum Member

Ohhhhhhhh I know something strange that I have seen ....... People who actually see the logic in certain things they post........ now THAT'S a joke
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

IACOJ Agitator

Ok, I admit it...I have a sick sense of humor...it gave me a little, tiny chuckle
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Look, drinking in part of the culture. For Instance, a FF is home with the BBQ grill fired up and is working through a 6 pack when the pager goes off for a bad wreck or a working fire. He jumps in his vehicle and responds. They may pick up a truck or respond directly but they will get there and go to work. The FF may perform CPR on a patient. The good news is that the patient may survive but the bad news is that the patient will blow a .08 in the breathalizer after it's over.<-Now that's a joke.
    It happens. Others have tried to change it and run into a brick wall.
    The topic of the post was strange things we have seen. I posted my reply. If you don't have anything to post on that topic then please move on to the next thread.
    Cellblock... it's no joke!

Drinking is not part of the culture! You want to fire up the BBQ and have a few cold ones...fine and dandy. Shut the pager off and wait at least 8 hours after your last brewski before even thinking about responding.

Anyone who reponds after drinking places everyone on the call and the public in harms way. If theres a line of duty death and the deceased has illegal drugs or alcohol in their system...they do not get the LODD benefits from the PSOB.

Zip...zilch...nothing...nada...zero...get it now?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talking

And that's NO JOKE!!
    Driver/Engineer/EMT
    Walton County Fire Rescue
    Walton County Georgia
    IACOJ

IACOJ Agitator

Funny how you get angry because he mentions beer at firehouse as a joke yet no one bashes the other threads (including a current one) about beer. Instead the posters just sing songs of praise to beer. If beer and firehouses don't mix, then should beer and fire department-oriented web sites?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

No Adze, I get angry about beer and responding. I don't care where you drink your beer, just don't respond.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    No Adze, I get angry about beer and responding. I don't care where you drink your beer, just don't respond.
    AMEN!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

What happened in the last twelve months? Let's start with Andee Huber. Unfortunately, she was not the only one lost because someone "got into the grapes." You can read the LODD notices yourself for more information.

I know this dead horse has been flogged mercilessly, but there are those in the fire service who just don't get it and it sticks in my craw.

I'm sorry if I hijacked what might otherwise have been an enjoyable thread.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information