Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Volunteer Fire Lieutenant or Captains

Are there any Volunteer Fire Department out there using any Lieutenant or Captains in their ranks? If so, are there any certification standards for these positions. Please e-mail me with your answers to mellermann@hotmail.com I belong to a small town volunteer fire department in western Montana with currently ranks of Chief & Assistant Chief. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank You.

MembersZone Subscriber mtomek112's Avatar

Bolivar County VFD
    Cleveland, MS

My department has Capt. & Lt. positions.

Captain is responsible for interior operations. Must have had two years exp. on hose & nozzle team or have been a member of the department for at least five years.

Lieutenant is responsible for exterior operations. Must have been a member of the department for at least three years.

Forum Member

Captain is responsible for all fire/ rescue related equipment and is considered a senior officer... Lieutenants are his assistants... no requirements at this time really, however they are elected, and most voting people understand the importance of the position. we're working on requirements, however.

Captain is senior operations guy on a scene or command if a chief or asst. chief do not show. Outside of incident operations, our capt. serves as dept. training officer. Must have FF2, Incident Command, Instructor, 5 years exp. and served at least one term as LT.

LT is the next guy down in the command structure at a scene. At the station he is responsible for equipment and apparatus maintenance(with the assistance of an engineer per unit). Must have FF1, Incident Command and served at least one term as Engineer.

I like the system. It allows guys to ease up the ranks while learning from the guys above(hopefully the guys above are worth learning from ) You get a growing level of responsibility with each rank rather than tossed in as Chief or Asst. Chief without prior fire service leadership experience.

Hope this helps!

Default Requirements as of this date....

Our Captain is in charge of drills and fire ground activites under direction of a Chief, Asst. Chief, or Deputy Chief. The Captain and Lt's will be handling interior operations.

This is from our by-laws.

Section 4: In order to hold a line office a member would have to meet the requirements of an active member; and must have completed Fire Fighter I.
    A. To run for First & Second Lieutenant:
    1. Must have at least two years in the company and three years experience as Fire Fighter.
    2. Must have New Jersey Fire Fighter Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
    3. Must have passed Pump School.
    4. Must have an I.M.S. Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
    B. To run for Captain:
    1. Must have at least three years in the company and five years experience as a Fire Fighter.
    2. Must have New Jersey Fire Fighter Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
    3. Must have passed Pump School.
    4. Must have served as 1st & 2nd Lt. for at least one year respectively.
    5. Must have an I.M.S. Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Volunteer Officers

In our department, we utilize Sergeants, Lieutenants and Captains.

Sergeant must be a minimum of 19 years of age and posess Firefighter II, EMT-B or First Responder (Depending on time in the department or individual company rules, Members joining prior to November 1994 are not required to posess an EMT-B card) Also must have current NFPA Fit Test, Infection Control, CPR/AED, Haz-Mat Ops and all the other BS the County forces us to keep up.

Lieutenant- Same as Sergeant. Except I think the age is 20.

Captain- be a minimum of 21 years of age and posess Firefighter II, Fire Officer I, EMT-B or First Responder and all the other annual recert/short courses. I also think you are supposed to serve a year as a Lt. or a Sgt.

Asst. Chief ("B" Chief)- Minimum 21 years old, Firefighter II, Fire Officer II, Instructor Level I, EMT or First Responder, ICS Class and all the other Pork classes and have at least a year as a Captain.

Deputy Chief ("A" Chief)- Same as "B" Chief except the Age is 23.

Fire Chief- Same as the other Chiefs except the age is 25. And that age can range up to "Almost Extinct," ain't that right Chief 18A?...LOL

Default This might help...

Here are two job flyers for the position of
    FIRE CAPTAIN in the state of California.
    They might give you some insight on the
    job requirements and responsibilities.

Please keep in mind that these jobs are
    CLOSED to the open public. Most departments
    in California dont use "Lieutenant" or
    "Sergeant." Too many titles and for the
    same jobs. Mostly found here is
    Captain, Engineer and Firefighter

Here are your links. Enjoy.

http://www.sbcfire.org/emp_opportuni...tain_12_03.pdf

http://www.co.alameda.ca.us/employme...docs/8146B.pdf
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-20-2004 at 11:27 PM.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yup.................

My esteemed colleague, the guy who drives the back end of the hook and ladder, has it about right. (CW, I'll have to review CB82 and get back to you) In our case, It's Chief, Assistant Chief(A), and Deputy Chief(B), Then 4 Captains, and 2 Lts. One Captain and one Lt. are responsible for EMS operations, The others share various duties in Public Ed, Prevention, Administration, and Training. All have Rescue and Suppression duties at all times. Fire and Rescue Operations are my responsibility as second in command. All administrative and support functions are handled thru the Deputy Chief. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Re: Volunteer Officers

Originally posted by TillerMan25

Fire Chief- Same as the other Chiefs except the age is 25. And that age can range up to "Almost Extinct," ain't that right Chief 18A?...LOL

HEY!! Look kid, 25 and you can get 5 bugles, Right? OK, I'm (Well) over 50. That means I get 10. Ship 'em up.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Post Kinda the same, but not really...

It all kinda sounds alike, but with some subtle differences. My county operates this way (generally). The number can differ depending on the size of the company:

Borough Chief (Where there are > 1 stations in a municipality)
    Chief
    Deputy Chief
    Assistant Chief
    Batallion Chief/Captain
    Lieutenant

(Then you have Fire Police: Capt, Lt..answer to the Fire Chief)

Our company: (one of each officer)
    Borough Chief
    Chief
    Deputy
    Assistant
    Captain
    Lieutenant

Capt/Lt: Can command interior operations upon direction of Chief. Is OIC until relieved by more senior officer.
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Forum Member

In our volunteer department we have 2 captains, one for fire/rescue and one that handles EMS. The criteria for captain is that you must have been off probation, have firefighter 1A, Vehicle rescue, ICS, pump operations, CPR, and have met attendance requirements, also must have served 1 year as LT. For EMS you must have certification as EMT-B. Captains are 3rd in structure behind Chief and A.Chief, and they are responsible for maintenance, training, inventory, reports, and new membership handbooks.

The Lt's are 3. 2 for Fire/Rescue and 1 for EMS. Muat be off probation and have met attendance requiements. Same certifications required, and they handle radios, scba's, monthly checks, clean ups, and they fall in after the Captains.

Has worked here for years!

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Default Re: Volunteer Fire Lieutenant or Captains

Originally posted by Mattmann
    Are there any Volunteer Fire Department out there using any Lieutenant or Captains in their ranks? If so, are there any certification standards for these positions. Please e-mail me with your answers to mellermann@hotmail.com I belong to a small town volunteer fire department in western Montana with currently ranks of Chief & Assistant Chief. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank You.
    We had both; LTs were in charge of a company and the assigned personnel, while CAPTs were in charge of a station. FF2, FF3, certain awareness levels, and a written/practical test were required for various ranks.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Thread Information