+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
    FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Unions Examine Operations After Iowa

WASHINGTON -- A unified labor movement packs a political punch. A fractured one looks like Iowa.

Some unions are taking a hard look at their political influence and voter turnout operations after the two labor-backed candidates expected to dominate Iowa's caucuses sank instead. Leaders of industrial unions that formed a coalition supporting Dick Gephardt, called Americans for Economic Justice, decided Wednesday to carry on without the candidate, who dropped out a day earlier after a poor fourth-place showing. "We want to make sure the issues of jobs, health care and trade are being talked about even though the main champion of those issues is out of the race," said Bret Caldwell, spokesman for the Teamsters, a coalition member.

But a new endorsement isn't likely.

The coalition wants to influence the remaining Democrats, and will be active with ads, fliers and member education in upcoming primaries, especially in labor-dense states such as Missouri on Feb. 3, where more than 13 percent of the work force belongs to a union, and in Michigan on Feb. 7, where more than 21 percent of the work force is a union member. In Iowa, about 11 percent of workers are union members. Organized labor's manpower and money are important political weapons for Democrats. But Iowa showed that a disorganized movement, even in a state where union support was considered crucial, isn't nearly as impressive.
    Of the AFL-CIO's 64 unions, less than half have endorsed a candidate. Those that endorsed were mostly split between Gephardt and Howard Dean, who, despite the backing of two of the largest unions in the country, finished third behind John Kerry and John Edwards.
    Gephardt and Dean couldn't even get the bulk of the union household vote, which went to Kerry, whose only labor support was the small International Association of Fire Fighters.
    "We found members that were highly supportive of Dick Gephardt and would have walked across the Mississippi River to help him if they could," said Rick Sloan, spokesman for the International Association of Machinists, which endorsed Gephardt. "But we also had members who were turned off by the process, and there were members who supported other candidates. That's their right."
    Labor isn't likely to reunite until Democrats select a nominee to challenge President Bush in November.
    In fact, hard feelings remain for some Gephardt unions over the decision by the large public and service sector unions to support Dean over the Missouri congressman, a longtime labor ally. With Gephardt out of the race, Dean isn't likely to pick up much of his union support.
    "I don't anticipate us arriving at another candidate," said Donald Kaniewski, political director of the Laborers' International Union of North America, a coalition member. "We've got plenty of work to do on jobs, health care and trade, and that work will continue."
    But Kerry and Edwards are working hard to lure Gephardt's union support, even if it didn't win him Iowa.
    Union members and their families were outnumbered by new caucus-goers probably turned off by the negative campaigning between Dean and Gephardt, union leaders say. And Gephardt failed to expand his base of support beyond labor.
    Fewer than one-fourth of participants in the caucuses were from union households, according to entrance polls conducted for The Associated Press and the television networks by Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International. In 2000, one-third of Iowa voters were from union households.
    "I've had a number of conversations with several union presidents in the last 30 hours," said Harold Schaitberger, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters, which endorsed Kerry.
    Several are "currently evaluating and taking a pretty serious look," he said. The New Hampshire primary is Tuesday, and Schaitberger said he is telling his colleagues that "if you want to have some impact on the journey to the White House, you need to get on board now."
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Default Bush in 04'

As I have said before--Howard Dean is an idiot,this just furthers my case.

Dean's Raucous Iowa Speech Lives On

By WILL LESTER

WASHINGTON (Jan. 21) - Howard Dean is trying to get past the speech he delivered after the Iowa caucuses, but the image lingers on the Internet, late-night talk shows and in what could be a serious problem for the campaign - among New Hampshire voters.

Political analysts and pollsters are watching to see if Monday night's enthusiastic, fist-pumping speech becomes one of those famous presidential campaign moments etched indelibly in the public's mind.

In the three days leading up to the Iowa caucuses, Dean's favorable rating among New Hampshire voters dropped from 59 percent to 39 percent in a sample of 302 voters Tuesday night, according to Dick Bennett of the American Research Group of Manchester. The size of a one-night sample is small enough that such results have to be viewed with caution, however.

In several tracking polls out Wednesday, Dean and John Kerry were locked in a statistical tie, with Wesley Clark close behind. Dean was once far ahead. A tracking poll is an ongoing poll with totals from the last two or three nights combined to produce a nightly result.

Bennett said his phone operators heard from voters who said they were surprised by Dean's speech. "That thing has legs," he said.

"I think it crystallized a lot of the concerns voters in Iowa had as well as voters in New Hampshire had about Dean's potential temperament as a president," added Andrew Smith, a political scientist and pollster at the University of New Hampshire. "My sense is that this will go down with Edmund Muskie supposedly crying in front of the (Manchester) Union Leader (in 1972) and Bob Dole telling George Bush to `stop lying about my record.' (in 1988)."

Gerry Chervinsky, who is polling New Hampshire for The Boston Globe and WBZ-TV, said Dean's favorable rating had dropped 11 points, from 67 percent to 56 percent, in the last week. He said the drop wouldn't all be attributable to Monday night's remarks, but added: "That speech could not have helped him in any way."

Dean, the one-time Democratic front-runner grinned, rolled up his sleeves and tried to rally supporters in Des Moines by shouting out a list of primary states.

Getty Images
    Following his speech, Dean's campaign aides are trying to show a softer, dignified candidate. Details

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire ..., we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York," he said. "And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan. And then we're going to Washington, D.C. To take back the White House. Yeah."

Dean explained the enthusiastic speech Tuesday by saying: "You've got to have some fun in this business." Supporters said he wanted to offer encouragement to volunteers who worked hard for him in Iowa, only to be disappointed by his third-place finish.

Democratic consultant James Carville, who was in New Hampshire attending campaign events, said of Dean's Iowa speech, "It hurt him."

Pat Buchanan, a former Republican presidential candidate, said: "Dean's Iowa defeat was a real setback to him, but his post-game commentary was a disaster. That tape will be on every national talk show, I don't think it's survivable."

Late-night comedy shows provide campaign news to growing numbers of people, according to a recent poll by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press. One-fifth of young adults said they regularly learn about the campaign from such programs.

When David Letterman rolled the video Tuesday, Dean's head appeared to explode at the end of the speech. "Did you see Howard Dean ranting and raving?" he asked the audience. "Here's a little tip, Howard: cut back on the Red Bull."

On his program, Jay Leno quipped: "I'm not an expert in politics, but I think it's a bad sign when your speech ends with your aides shooting you with a tranquilizer gun."

Jon Stewart introduced the clip on his show by saying, "That whole 'Dean anger thing,' it's a bum rap. The guy has his emotions under control."

Charles Jones, a presidential scholar, said Dean's speech contributes to the notion that he's not quite ready for prime time.

"Some have compared it with the over enthusiastic reaction of (Dan) Quayle" when he was picked as George H.W. Bush's running mate, Jones said.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

For those who haven't seen it, theres a link from here:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/p..._1n22dean.html

Political moments that'll rank right up there with Dukakis in an M-1...
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

http://homepage.mac.com/lileks/.Public/Yeagh.mp3

So, is this a new word for Dean's war cry: "Yeagh" ???
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Default Re-elect President Bush in 04'

Well my wonderful girlfriend just broke my heart. She registerd to vote and is now a registerd democrap.

Acourse she thinks the dem's are pro-life like she is.......oye vey I wish she atleast found out what the partys stand for before picking one----women.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Again, why is this important at the national level? Again, I couldn't care less who a union supports, becu\ause it is not the membership supporting them, only the E-board.
    A mere speculative generality. If you don't like what your E-board is doing, how about getting yourself elected to the board. If the membership doesn't agree with the current board, you should win in a landslide. Your later statement shown below, seems a bit contradictory.
    But they are looking out for what is best for themselves, and their membership,
    At least you recognize some of the good unions have done.
    This is why we have OSHA, and labor standards. Obtained by the above stated unions and associations- A.K.A. the special interests.
    By your definition, just what groups are not special interests?

Why should I, living in Backwoods, Massachusetts, have FEDERAL tax dollars spent on services to a local community in Podunk, Arizona? As I and others have said on numerous board posts here before, it is not a FEDERAL government to provide local services.
    Do you feel the same when the Federal funds are being used for law enforcement, roads and other local infrastructure?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Very good question.

Kerry's definition is any organization who does not support him. He doesn't think the NEA, trial lawyers and NOW are special interests.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Bush State of the Union Ignores Fire Fighters

January 22, 2004 - President George W. Bush addressed the nation on January 20 with his 2004 State of the Union speech before a joint a session of Congress. The 58-minute speech outlined the President’s vision for America and his priorities for the second session of the 108th Congress.
    While the President repeatedly lauded America’s police officers and law enforcement community and promised to support their mission, he never mentioned fire fighters or first responders. The comprehensive speech made no reference to supporting any program or initiative to address the pressing needs of fire fighters.
    “It is regrettable that the President chose to ignore our profession and its needs, “ commented IAFF General President Harold A. Schaitberger.
    The administration has opposed IAFF initiatives such as the SAFER Act to hire 75,000 new fire fighters with federal funds and has refused to fully fund the Assistance to Fire Fighters Grant Program in three successive budgets (FIRE Act). “Even though budget cuts have forced layoffs, brown-outs and station closings across the country, the administration has taken a laissez-faire approach to ensuring the nation’s safety and security, as evidenced in the State of the Union speech,” Schaitberger said.
    “We have battled this administration before and we will continue to work with our friends in Congress---both Republicans and Democrats---to make sure the needs of our fire fighters are met,” continued Schaitberger.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Forum Member

If you don't like what your E-board is doing, how about getting yourself elected to the board. If the membership doesn't agree with the current board, you should win in a landslide.
    Seeing as how I am no longer a member of the IAFF I can't get elected to the E-board. My original point is still the same. Unless the general membership votes in a majority to put the union's support behind a candidate, then it means nothing to me.

Your later statement shown below, seems a bit contradictory.
    I don't think so. This is what the e-board states. This is what union leadership states. They support, or choose to, a candidate that is going to do what is best for them, the union / membership, not the greater picture of the country, just their particular area / areas of interest.

Well, let us see.....

If you have a political action committee, then you are a special interest. If you solicit, as a group, organization, or corporation, any elected official to receive benefits for you or to curry favor, then you are a special interest. If you do not buy this, then I will say this to you:

After the Supreme Court chose to strip my first ammendment rights to support a candidate away from me last month, anyone or any group is considered a special interest under the auspices of campaign finance reform. As an individual, I, as an individual, cannot run an add on my local TV station in support or against a candidate, neither can the NRA, IAFF, NARAL, NAACP, AFL - CIO, or any other group. We are considered a special interest. I do not like it, but the 9 people in black robes in DC have decided it as such.

Do you feel the same when the Federal funds are being used for law enforcement, roads and other local infrastructure?
    Yes I do. With the exception of interstate highways, which support interstate / international commerce, federal tax dollars should not be dispensed to local communities in order to pave my road.

Local money should be used to pay for local police officers, firefighters, teachers, DPW, etc. It is not the federal governement's responsibility to provide for the local government. Unfortunately, the feds will not reduce the tax intake and shift the tax burden to more local collection, i.e. reduce the federal tax burden, and shift to local and state burdens.

As for the infrastructure, well I will point you the Big Dig, in Boston. A boondoggle if I have ever seen one. Granted it is for an interstate, but because of the mismanagement of federal funds in Boston, the state budget has had to absorb increases and a diminishment of federal tax dollars for other highway projects. The rest of the state is suffering through crumbling roads and bridges for a 15 BILLION dollar hole in the ground, that froze up last week, yes it froze and 2 lanes had to be shut down. This for a road that only benefits those who live immediately North or South of the city of Boston, not benefiting the rest of the state.

The administration has opposed IAFF initiatives such as the SAFER Act to hire 75,000 new fire fighters with federal funds
    The SAFER act will not add 75,000 new firefighters. It will be like the COPS grants for the police. No new police officers were added in the long run. When officers retired, they were not replaced because there were additional officers on the rosters and no additional costs were accrued by the city to hire / train new officers. Very few police departments that hired officers under the COPS programs have seen an increase in officer ranks. The same will happen for firefighters. If a local community needs new firefighters, it is up to that community to hire them, not the federal government.

and has refused to fully fund the Assistance to Fire Fighters Grant Program in three successive budgets (FIRE Act).
    Again, it is not a federal responsibilty to ensure that you have bunker gear, radios, PASS devices, new fire engines, fire prevention, etc.. It is the local government's responsibility.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

After the Supreme Court chose to strip my first ammendment rights to support a candidate away from me last month
    A ridiculous interpretation of campaign finance reform on your part. I watched the Iowa caucuses. Over 100,000 people were out supporting their candidate. Millions across the country do the same.

The SAFER act will not add 75,000 new firefighters. It will be like the COPS grants for the police. No new police officers were added in the long run. When officers retired, they were not replaced because there were additional officers on the rosters and no additional costs were accrued by the city to hire / train new officers. Very few police departments that hired officers under the COPS programs have seen an increase in officer ranks.
    Once again you have contradicted yourself. First you say no new police officers were added, then you say "very few departments" added to their ranks. Where are the fact? I know of two departments off the top of my head who added six, and ten officers to the ranks.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

A ridiculous interpretation of campaign finance reform on your part. I watched the Iowa caucuses. Over 100,000 people were out supporting their candidate. Millions across the country do the same.
    But why am I not allowed to do so 60 days prior to the general election? This restricts free speech and the free exercise thereof, a law passed by congress. Do I need to quote verbatim the first amendment to you?

Once again you have contradicted yourself. First you say no new police officers were added, then you say "very few departments" added to their ranks. Where are the fact? I know of two departments off the top of my head who added six, and ten officers to the ranks.
    In the overall scheme of things, has the roster (the number) of officers increased from the period prior to the grants? I know of two departments where this is the case. I used to work for one as a dispatcher and there are no more officers on the streets than before they took the grants.

I suppose it is a contradiction due to my poor choice of words. In general, I believe most (the vast majority) of departments that did take the grants had no net increase in officer numbers after 3 - 5 years.

My point is still the same, or my opinion is, that it is not the federal government's responsibility to fund the positions of teachers, firefighters, paramedics, law enforcement officers, DPW workers, etc. at the local level. If you want them, increase the LOCAL tax base / rate to provide for adequate protection / service, do not pawn off the security / service of one community onto another.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

But why am I not allowed to do so 60 days prior to the general election? This restricts free speech and the free exercise thereof, a law passed by congress. Do I need to quote verbatim the first amendment to you?
    You can support your candidate whenever the hell you want. Placing restrictions on how campaigns are financed does not violate your freedom of speech. Don't insult my intelligence by offering to recite the first amendment, or by trying to argue that campaign finance reform violates it.

IACOJ

Forum Member

I may support my candidate, but I may not run an advertisement in support of my candidate, as an individual citizen, or part of a group, for 60 days prior to the election. I cannot run an add on TV or on the radio. Neither can any group or "special interest" to which I contribute money in order to support a candidate. This is wrong and does violate the free speech clause.

Even the candidates cannot place ads on TV or the radio. All candidate information for 60 days prior to a general election will come from teh media, and we know straight forward adn unbiased they all are don't we.

I never had a problem showing my support for a candidate, only running advertisement notices in support of a candidate by any INDIVIDUAL or group. This is a violation of free speech. Every court ruling, with this exception, was in support of INDIVIDUAL rights. Now my INDIVIDUAL right to run those supportive / non-supportive ads is gone.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. We disagree, and that will probably not change. And there will be further challenges to this pathetic law. If anyone thinks that these yutzes in Washington really wanted to clean up elections they are out of their mind. It is a manner for these people to continue to be elected and stay in office for decades, a la Ted Kennedy, Strom Thurmond, John McCain, or Richard Byrd. Don't insult my intelligence by telling me otherwise.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a manner for these people to continue to be elected and stay in office for decades, a la Ted Kennedy, Strom Thurmond, John McCain, or Richard Byrd. Don't insult my intelligence by telling me otherwise.
    The American public is to blame for keeping these people in office for decades. See, if they don't get the votes, they don't stay.

The apathy in this country astounds me. I don't need TV or radio ads shoved down my throat to be aware that there is an election and decide who to vote for. In fact, I don't base my opinion on them at all.

What is wrong with individuals educating themselves on the candidates? We should not be electing officials based on television commercials.

Sharkie, I did not mean to insult your intelligence.
    Last edited by Duffman; 01-24-2004 at 09:11 AM.

IACOJ

Forum Member

Sharkie...

Campaign reform was passed by both the House and Senate and signed by President Bush... what political affliation are the majority leaders?

I think they have an "R" after their names....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a manner for these people to continue to be elected and stay in office for decades, a la Ted Kennedy, Strom Thurmond, John McCain, or Richard Byrd. Don't insult my intelligence by telling me otherwise.
    Who's Richard Byrd?

Disillusioned Subscriber

That's Robert Byrd's Conservative Republican brother.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Sorry, Robert Byrd. I was dead tired this morning, I haven't been sleeping well lately. Thank you for the correction.

Campaign reform was passed by both the House and Senate and signed by President Bush... what political affliation are the majority leaders?
    I understand this. Sadly it is true. Again, many, myself included, feel that this law benefits only the incumbents, by restricting criticism of voting records, past actions. I was upset when the President signed the legislation saying something like I sign this legislation hoping that the Supreme Court will overturn it. If you don't agree with it WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SIGNING THE DAMNED THING? I may be a Republican, but that does not mean I am happy with what they do all the time nor that I cannot criticize them. I will say that there are problems when both houses of congress and the executive branch are "controlled" by the same party, it is usually not the best of instance to be in. Remember, a whole lot of Democrats voted for this bill as well. The majority may be Republican, but not enough are in either house to pass the bill without a whole lot of help.

The American public is to blame for keeping these people in office for decades. See, if they don't get the votes, they don't stay.
    I totally agree with you. This is why I have a problem, and usually do not vote for anyone who has been in an office for 10 years. You have become part of the problem, and are too ensconched in the system. Therein lies a major problem I would / will have voting for Kerry, Lieberman (Who I actually like very much), or Gephardt.

The apathy in this country astounds me.
    Again, I agree with you totally. The incumbents and political hacks like it that way though. Not a conspiracy theorist, but the fewer voters, the easier it si to get elected, you have to focus on fewer fringes, and fewer problems.

I don't need TV or radio ads shoved down my throat to be aware that there is an election and decide who to vote for. In fact, I don't base my opinion on them at all.
    Understood, I don't necessarily either, I do research many facts and histories gleaned from ads. Unfortunately, here are HUGE numbers of voters that do rely upon those ads. I am astonished at how many people do not know who they will vote for until they actually get into the booths. The other thing, is that if some candidate makes a mistake or new information is found, it cannot be brought ot light unless the media brings it forth. Again, it benefits incumbents.

I have always enjoyed listening to people criticize the politicians and yelling and screaming about the government, and then you ask them whether they voted in the last election, local, county, state, or federal, and they say no. Then don't complain. Your lack of voting for ANY candidate is part of the problem as well.

Sharkie, I did not mean to insult your intelligence.
    I understand that. I only wished for you to understand where I was coming from, not necessarily agree with me. I only want you know and understand where a differeing opinion is based.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

MANCHESTER, N.H. - Sen. John Kerry bagged his second straight impressive victory yesterday, cruising past Howard Dean with another double-digit win.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 01-28-2004 at 06:41 AM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it just my eyes this early in the morning or does Harold S--tburger and the lady to Kerry's left look like they were super-imposed into the picture?

I am not a Kerry fan at all, but I am so glad to see Howard Dean losing his arse off in these primaries. I think the only thing he has won so far was the DC Fake Me Out Primary. And we all know that aside from the Federal Government property and a few neat galleries, DC is nothing but a 3rd world ghetto in the United States.

MembersZone Subscriber

He still won't top Bush though

Forum Member

Again, it is not a federal responsibilty to ensure that you have bunker gear, radios, PASS devices, new fire engines, fire prevention, etc.. It is the local government's responsibility.
    I think we've been through this before. Obviously, local governments either can't, or won't, do what needs to be done for their fire departments. Hence, the need for federal help. Grants like these ultimately help the people, not just fire departments.

Forum Member

And again, it is our fault for not pushing our local politicians for the proper equipment. When they won't give it to us, it is our fault for not telling the public that they are endangering our lives, and theirs. Not D.C.'s problem to take care of me or my department / agency.

Is it just my eyes this early in the morning or does Harold S--tburger and the lady to Kerry's left look like they were super-imposed into the picture?
    That lady on his left is his wife, Theresa Heinz Kerry, as in Heinz ketchup. Used to be married to Sen. Heinz from Pennsylvania until he died in a plane crash. The picture does make it look so though.

Forum Member

MIKEYLIKESIT
    Those t-shirts look even better in person, as do the signs and bumper stickers. You can really see the IAFF.....someday maybe they'll be at the inaugural....

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are some interesting facts about "The Union Fireman's Friend," John Forbes Kerry.

http://www.usvetdsp.com/jf_kerry.htm

I am glad he is the IAFF's Buddy, because he sure isn't the buddy of any Soldiers. What a LOSER!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information