Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

I don't post often anymore but this is one post that I felt the need.

I still remember a lot of the things Kerry said and was involved with after his return from Viet Nam. I also remember the devastation a lot of us felt with the rhetoric of Hanoi Jane and her followers (such as Kerry & others). I spent 16 months hearing about and reading the garbage that was being spewed out. I even had to hear it upon returning home and thinking, how could this veteran attack us as pure evilness and wanton murderers.

Kerry had every right to do what he did but I personally felt betrayed and that feeling has never left me and probably never will. It would be a FREEZING (not just cold) DAY IN H#!! before I would even consider this man as Presidential material.

To all those that have served and are serving, I salute you.
    To all those that have given their lives and the POW's, MIA's. You will never be forgotten.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 01-29-2004 at 03:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kerry had every right to do what he did but I personally felt betrayed and that feeling has never left me and probably never will. It would be a FREEZING (not just cold) DAY IN H#!! before I would even consider this man as Presidential material.
    Absolutely! Well said.

I just listened to this guy speak on TV in SC today. Errrrr....Kerry supporters????

THIS MAN IS TELLING YOU HE IS GOING TO RAISE YOUR TAXES! THIS MAN IS TELLING YOU HE IS GOING TO DOWNSIZE OUR MILITARY WHEN WE ARE AT WAR! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?

THIS MAN IS TELLING YOU HE IS GOING TO RAISE YOUR TAXES! THIS MAN IS TELLING YOU HE IS GOING TO DOWNSIZE OUR MILITARY WHEN WE ARE AT WAR! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?
    He isn't going to raise MY taxes, Howard Dean would however. As for the military, I will get back to that when I have a chance to read the comment myself
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

He isn't going to raise MY taxes
    How is he not going to raise your taxes? Where do I sign up to opt out?

How is he not going to raise your taxes?
    Hopefully by not getting elected!

The tax issue might just be the most interesting one to watch. Kerry and almost everyone else is running with a "repeal the Bush tax cut" as a central plank in their platform.

Somewhere along the way, folks may figure out that repealing a tax cut means a tax increase. If so, the question is how will the general majority react. Walter Mondale ran on a platform of increased taxes to fix the budget and it went over like a lead balloon. Funny thing is his plank just called for an increase in taxes for those making over $60k a year (a really good income in 1984 and not bad today). Repealing the Bush tax cut will mean a tax increase for everyone.

I find it hard to believe that there is a winning message in telling people that the economic recovery an illusion because wages haven't grown and jobs haven't been created, and if you elect me I am going to take even more money out of your pocket.

How is he not going to raise your taxes? Where do I sign up to opt out?
    He has stated he will not roll back the middle class tax cuts. Not changing the child tax credit. In any case the "T" word doesn't alarm me. I would rather pay the federal tax I was paying before and have a balanced budget, or even a surplus, remember the surplus?

The tax cuts amounted to a tax shift. By the way, now that Bush passed his medicare BS, the cost has suddenly risen by a third. Brilliant plan. Reduce revenues and spend spend spend. Even conservatives are ticked about that.

Jan. 29, 2004 | WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush's new budget will project that the just-enacted prescription drug program and Medicare overhaul will cost one-third more than previously estimated and will predict a deficit exceeding $500 billion for this year, congressional aides said Thursday.

Instead of a $400 billion 10-year price tag, Bush's 2005 budget will estimate the Medicare bill's cost at about $540 billion, said aides who spoke on condition of anonymity. Bush will submit on Monday a federal budget for the fiscal year 2005, which starts next Oct. 1.
    Last edited by Duffman; 01-29-2004 at 09:23 PM.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

He has stated he will not roll back the middle class tax cuts. Not changing the child tax credit. In any case the "T" word doesn't alarm me. I would rather pay the federal tax I was paying before and have a balanced budget, or even a surplus, remember the surplus?

The tax cuts amounted to a tax shift. By the way, now that Bush passed his medicare BS, the cost has suddenly risen by a third. Brilliant plan. Reduce revenues and spend spend spend. Even conservatives are ticked about that.
    First things first. The Medicare plan was not a wise plan. I think it, as well as the immigration fiasco (which is not as big of a fiasco as Nancy Peliosi's plan would be) will be poor public policy. Yes, I am still voting for him.

"Rolling back the tax cuts for the wealthy" is political, election year rhetoric. Using their definitions, you're wealthy.

The surplus is being spent in Iraq. If George Bush hadn't been courageous enough to adopt an economic stimulus plan while still engaged in Iraq, we would not be in a recovery now. Assuming that we win the war and bring the troops home, the surplus will be back soon after w/GWB at the helm.

Default Leaving partisanship aside...

I have a few observations on the democrats seeking their parties nomination for president.

1. Given the format of the debates, Al Sharpton may well be the best debator of the bunch.

2. While Edwards says he is not running for VP. He sure sounds like it when he begins numerous responses by noting his agreement with Kerry.

3. While it is important to show a united front. Someone had better start aiming shots at Kerry's bow soon or he will wrap things up in short order.

4. No matter what Dean says in public, Joe Trippi was fired.

5. Wes Clark may well be finished. His mouth moves way faster than his brain

6. Kucinich won't play well in the south....at all.

7. Who could Joe Lieberman choose as a running mate who would not overshadow him? Then again I don't think we have to worry about Lieberman choosing a running mate.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Your right about that aspect of Rev. Al.

In '88, I was ready to vote for Jesse Jackson after his speech at the Convention.

If anything, the lies used by the Bush administration concerning Iraq will be Bush's undoing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    If anything, the lies used by the Bush administration concerning Iraq will be Bush's undoing.
    That's IF it is shown that it was lies and not crappy intelligence. Remember, there are quotes from slick Willy talking about the same threat.

Forum Member

Sharpton has nothing to lose so he just says what he wants....I'd never vote for him but I have to admit he's fun to watch. Can you imagine a debate where everyone did that? Actually answered questions instead of making a mini-speech each time?

The lack of WMD finds could have been an overwhelming issue, but the big problem is that Kerry has been pushing the Saddam/WMD threat for years.

Way back in 1998, he was leading the cheers when President Clinton launched Desert Fox (The December bombing offensive) and he voted in support of this war. He's spent years on the Senate Intelligence Committee looking at the same information both Bush and Clinton used to justify attacks. He may can make an issue about how we're handling the occupation of Iraq, but to use the reasons for the war as an issue would only serve to paint himself as a fellow victim in the eyes of those who blame intel failures or a co-conspirator in the eyes of those suspecting intentional deception. He can waffle and try to reinvent his record but it will come back to bite him badly.

Dean or Edwards could have made this a big issue, but they ain't gonna get the nod. Even the biggest anti-war folks will have a hard time saying that the world isn't a better place without Saddam around.

And Duffman, you're right about Clark. He's way out of his league.

Even the biggest anti-war folks will have a hard time saying that the world isn't a better place without Saddam around.
    Unfortunately, there are a whole bunch of other people who are no longer around, either. And the number grows every week.
    I thought this was interesting:
    http://www.kaicurry.com/gwbush/remindus.swf

That's IF it is shown that it was lies and not crappy intelligence.
    Oh, I'm sure they'll blame some nameless intelligence...but that won't cut it with me.
    Remember, there are quotes from slick Willy talking about the same threat.
    Maybe so; but Bill Clinton is not the president...and he didn't invade another nation.

7. Who could Joe Lieberman choose as a running mate who would not overshadow him? Then again I don't think we have to worry about Lieberman choosing a running mate.

Kucinich
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe so; but Bill Clinton is not the president...and he didn't invade another nation.
    Clinton never attacked Iraq?

Forum Member

"There is no doubt in anyone's mind that on the day I left office, Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction."

~Bill Clinton on Larry King Live , 2003

Noz,

The point of my post wasn't to open a discussion of the war's moral justification, there's already a thread on that subject. I was just posting the Kerry and Clinton info to show how I don't think a Kerry ticket can use the war to score many points against Bush.

I think any effort by Kerry to imply that the war was wrong because we haven't found WMDs will backfire in a big way because for a long, long time he's been saying on the record that Saddam was was a threat because of his WMD program. He can't flip on the issue now, the RNC attack ads will write themselves. The voters will be left with a choice of two candidates, both of which said the same thing but only one willing to admit it now that they've been proven wrong. It just won't work.

You're absoultely right that the war could be a huge liability to President Bush, but I don't think Kerry can score points with it. Dean or Edwards could, but it doesn't look like they'll be the nominee.

Oddly enough, Kerry's biggest help right now seems to be Bush himself. The president seems to be going out of his way to alienate both fiscal conservatives with spending increases and social conservatives with his immigration policy. Not that these folks are going to run to Kerry, but they might just stay home and that's almost as good in a close race. I also think moderates will see these as an attempt to buy their vote, which may backfire on Bush as badly as a war flip-flop would hurt Kerry.

Clinton never attacked Iraq?
    George in the interest of honesty Nozz didn't say that. He said invade. There is a difference.

IACOJ

Thread Information