Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default Kerry carries the day....

Comeback kid trumps Dean; Edwards second
    DES MOINES - John Kerry flattened Howard Dean last night, pulling off a storybook upset on Iowa's political field of dreams.
    Kerry, the patrician Bostonian whose political obituary was written weeks ago, was the No. 1 choice of Iowa Democrats who trooped to their neighborhood caucuses in subzero temperatures.With about 98% of the precincts reporting, Kerry had 38%, John Edwards had 32%, Dean was a distant third with 18% and Dick Gephardt was fourth with about 11%."Thank you, Iowa, for making me the Comeback Kerry," said the Massachusetts senator after winning big in the first contest on the road to the Democratic nomination. "Iowa, I love you. You've set me on the way to the Super Bowl."

Dean gave a speech that was less a concession than a frenzied call to arms."We have just begun to fight!" Dean bellowed, shocking even the biggest fans of the pugnacious candidate with his style, not his speech's substance. "We want our country back for ordinary Americans."

Noting that he was only recently still considered a quirky dark horse, Dean tried to put a happy face on: "If you had told us one year ago that we would come in third in Iowa, we would have given anything for that." The former Vermont governor's aides said they spent so much time battling Gephardt that they let the other two candidates blindside them. Both men were the front-runners for weeks, but last night voters abandoned them for the two underdogs: Kerry and Edwards.

The results scrambled the primary race, putting new pressure on Dean to win big in New Hampshire next Tuesday, where he has led the polls for months.The margin of his defeat suddenly marks him as vulnerable - and gives Kerry the big momentum - just as the campaign enters a crucial phase.
    Gephardt, a veteran congressman from Missouri and former speaker of the House, was utterly routed and will drop out of the race today.Edwards, whose sunny, Clintonesque persona won over many late-deciding voters, surged from single digits last week to a remarkably strong second place."We were the little engine that could," the North Carolina senator told supporters, and said his campaign proved that voters "believe in a positive, uplifting view to change America."

Kerry, known for his come-from-behind victories, had largely been written off last month as his support sagged and he fired half his staff.

He literally bet the house on a strong Iowa showing. Kerry mortgaged his Boston mansion to pay for ads showcasing his war heroism, legislative experience and sober presidential demeanor.The Iowa win will put rocket thrusters on his reviving campaign in New Hampshire.The results upended all the conventional wisdom about the caucuses and delivered a major blow to organized labor, which was widely touted to guarantee victory. Gephardt had the support of 21 industrial unions and Dean had two of the most politically important labor groups in his camp.

Dean also had imported 3,500 volunteers and had the backing of Iowa's most popular politician, Sen. Tom Harkin, as well as Al Gore and Bill Bradley, and a nod from former President Jimmy Carter.

But Iowans apparently did not care.

The battle now shifts to New Hampshire, where retired Gen. Wesley Clark, sailing smoothly up in the polls as other candidates squabbled in Iowa, is about to become the bull's-eye at the center of the dartboard. It remains to be seen whether Clark can hold his temper and his support better than Dean once the campaign trail gets crowded and the elbows start hitting Clark.
    At Clark's campaign headquarters in Manchester, N.H., last night, aides intently watched the Iowa results as Kerry, a decorated Vietnam War veteran, swamped his rivals.
    Asked about battling another candidate with a military background, Clark said, "It's one thing to be a hero as a junior officer - he's done that and I respect him for that. But I have military leadership at the top as well as at the bottom." Asked if he still considers this a "two-man race" in New Hampshire, where Dean holds a narrow lead in the polls, Clark said it was up to the voters.

He paused, then added, "I don't know what to call it now."
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 01-28-2004 at 06:42 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

George?

Default Exposure

I liked seeing all those yellow t-shirts on television.

MembersZone Subscriber

I almost lost control of my bladder while laughing at that Idiot Howard Dean and that speech he made.

Howard Stern had a parody of it this Morning with AC/DC's "For Those About to Rock....." playing in the background. It was hilarious. I am no fan of Kerry, but I would rather see anyone other than Dean in the White House if the Democrats can win. But I don't think they will, maybe in 2008?

The yellow shirts were a farce. They need to say "Union Firefighters for Kerry." Not every Firefighter is for Kerry. More appropriately, they should read "IAFF Executive Board and PAC Fund Members for Kerry." Because most of the Line FF's I know in this neck of the woods on the career side are Bush Guys.

I have to go with Tillerman on this one. I remember in 2000 it was estimated that 40 percent of IAFF members were for Bush, or said they were.

I laughed out loud when I heard Kerry yell that the special interest groups in the Bush white house should not let the door hit them on the way out, last night. Behind him was the president of the IAFF, oh lookie a special interest group. Typical hypocracy from either party that insults my intelligence.

Though I am a Republican, I have yet to decide who I will vote for, it will not be Kerry, and I highly doubt that it will be Dean.

Personally, I couldn't care less who a union supports, because it is the membership of the union that matters not the E-boards. Their support means nothing to me, because they are concentrating on one issue, and one issue only. To prove my point I received a hillarious letter from the PFFM (Professional Fire Fighters of MAssachusetts) a few weeks ago telling me that I needed to get out and stump for Kerry. After I finished laughing, I continued to read that the only issue that should matter to me was that Kerry was and has been behind firefighters and that I should only vote this way and not other issues such as gay marriage, abortion, gun control, and others cloud my judgement because they each had their own powerful adn vocal supporters / critics. After laughing even more histerically I had to be repulsed by the use of union dues to pay for this letter to be sent out. After further realizing that my intelligence had been insulted by thinking that I should only vote for a candidate because of one issue I was repulsed by the PFFMs actions. A voter should be educated and vote for the best candidate to lead a nation, regardless of the party or their stance on one issue. A decision should be based on teh best candidate overall, I may not agree with all of their views but I will certainly not vote for a candidate because of one issue. The IAFF looks out for its membership and makes a decision based upon that one narrow focus, I have worry about what is right for my nation and fellow citizens.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

The best thing about Kerry winning was that he allowed Dean to show what a wingnut he is with his 'hey, how come I finished third?' speech afterwards. Must've been his going to church with Jimmy Carter.....yeah, that's it!

I think the real story is Bill Clinton's, um, Edwards, victory here.

I've been pegging John Edwards to be in position to take the White House in '08 when it'll be wide open race with no incumbent and no VP incumbent running.

I figured this year was for Edwards like '76 was for Reagan -- the year to build your organization, learn from your mistakes, and get ready to rumble with the big boys in '80.

I suspect Kerry just served as an ice-breaker. Dr. Arrogance Dean, General Arrogant-SOB Clark, and Gephardt all tearing into each other (yes I know Clark didn't run in Iowa...). Kerry pushes them aside...but suddenly Edwards has a lot more visibility.

Curious if Edwards will make an alliance to get the VP nomination or figure none of the Democrats will knock off Bush, and he'll leave this year with a strong 2nd/3rd place showing overall and plan to win it all in 2008.

Just my random prediction/thoughts...

Default If you looked carefully Tiller...

The shirts read IAFF firefighters for Kerry.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

The headline should have read "TOP DEMOCRAT KERRYS THE DAY!"
    I should get paid for these.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thumbs up

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Kerry,Dean,Gephardt,Edwards in 04'.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

To come to Tiller's defense here, if you watch the footage, all you see is "Firefighters for Kerry", from the camera angle and distance you can barely, if at all, make out the IAFF and you can only see the front so you do not know that the IAFF made the shirts.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Sharkie, I understand you are repulsed. I am repulsed too. When I see the Labor Department offer "suggestions" for employers to avoid paying overtime I am repulsed. When I see Our Vice-President duck hunting with a Supreme Court Justice when there is a major ruling involving the oil industry on the line, I am repulsed. I dont see how you think its wrong for our General President to bring our great Union to the front and center of a presidential campaign. I saw with my own eyes our Brother firefighters on the stage with Kerry. He looked and sounded very presidential. I do agree that ALL politicians are tied to special interests. I would like to think that MY special interest will be served with a labor-friendly president.

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighters are not a "special" interest group. They are a special group with GENUINE needs. If the IAFF helps to get someone elected all firefighters reap the benefits not just the union ones.

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

As usual I'll be voting the Libertarian ticket this year.
    Here's the URL to the Louisiana Libertarian Party- http://www.la.lp.org/
    The national site is at- http://www.lp.org/

MembersZone Subscriber

Dean's going downhill!

Is that the OU Sooners two losses in row? No, that's the legs of the bandwagoners breaking as they are jumping off of the Dean bandwagon...

They sound the same though... hehe

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw with my own eyes our Brother firefighters on the stage with Kerry. He looked and sounded very presidential.
    Give a Bum a cheap suit, shave and 100 bucks for a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose and I bet he could look and sound presidential too!

I did not see the shirt close up until now. Thank you for the pic Mikey. I still think most Firefighters in the trenches are with Bush. Kerry is too White Collar for most Blue Collar people. And most Firefighters are Blue Collar guys. Maybe I just don't get it, but Overtime is not a right. And if I were a City Manager or Business owner I would do what I could to curb unnecessary OT as much as I could. Firefighter Shift work is inevitably going to cause OT, and thats just something you gotta do to ensure your people are protected 24/7. However when you have Backstep Fireman making more than a Big City Mayor or County Executive, you gotta wonder, Why in the Hell is this guy Whoring on Overtime? If you need money that badly, get a part-time job! And if your department needs to fill that much OT just to make minimum staffing levels, than that City Administrator or Alderman or whayever needs to get his head out of his arse and hire some more people!!!!

I didn't even notice the shirts until I saw this thread yesterday. Then I saw some replays and did notice the IAFF shirts.

I will admit I have not paid much attention to them. I'll wait for when the decision is made on who will run against Bush and then look at that one. I'm not a Democrat, so I won't be picking who is going to run.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Firefighters are not a "special" interest group. They are a special group with GENUINE needs.
    As are law enforcement, nurses, teachers, oil businesses, defense contractors, environmentalists, auto manufacturers, teamsters, ambulance chasing lawyers, NAACP, AARP, or any other group. Your point is still moot.

If the IAFF helps to get someone elected all firefighters reap the benefits not just the union ones.
    Ah, my problem is with the PFFM using union funds to do so. I understand that the FIREPAC exists and this is where every bit of money should come from. Not a single penny should come from regular union dues. The IRS is beginning to rip into union finances, especially the teacher's unions, to determine how money is being spent, where it is being spent, and where it comes from. Other than being insulted by the assumed ignorance I posess, I have a problem with the spending of union money for this and other political information the PFFM / IAFF has spent.

Watching over the unions
    Linda Chavez (archive)

January 21, 2004

Howard Dean wasn't the only loser in Monday night's Iowa caucuses. Big Labor gambled big -- and lost even bigger. Some 21 unions endorsed fourth place candidate Rep. Dick Gephardt (D-Mo.), who ended up with only 12 percent of the caucus votes. While two of the nation's biggest, most politically powerful unions, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees Union (AFSCME), endorsed Dean.

AFSCME and SEIU are estimated to have spent $2.6 million in Iowa trying to win the state for Dean, who ended up with only 18 percent of the vote. Meanwhile, the unions backing Gephardt put more than 900 organizers in the state, made 2,000 phone calls a day on Gephardt's behalf and knocked on more than 20,000 doors, according to the Wall Street Journal's John Fund. But while almost one in four Iowa caucus goers was from a union household, most ignored their leaders' recommendations and voted for Sen. John Kerry, the big winner Monday night with 38 percent of the vote.

Unions have traditionally refrained from backing candidates in hotly contested Democratic presidential primaries, but this year was different. The Teamsters Union, which flirted with President Bush during the early days of his administration and has endorsed Republicans for president on occasion, decided to back Gephardt early, as did many industrial unions. Gephardt's protectionist trade policies and pro-labor voting record made him a favorite among the AFL-CIO's old manufacturing and industrial unions. The more left-leaning, public employee unions decided to go with Dean, mostly because of his aggressive anti-war stance and populist rhetoric.

But none of these unions could turn their dollars and manpower into votes -- even from their own members and their families. Perhaps this should come as no surprise since unions don't poll their members on what they want or whom they support. Decisions about such important matters are left up to union bosses, who are often accountable to no one. Yet these same union officials freely spend their members' dues on politics -- with little recourse on the part of the members. According to Fund, "some unions now routinely deplete their entire treasury in election years.

There's nothing wrong with unions becoming involved in the political process and nothing wrong with unions donating money to candidates -- so long as it is collected voluntarily from union members. But the union cash that was flowing in Iowa was almost entirely dues-funded, not voluntary contributions made to the unions' political action committees. Unions are allowed to spend dues on politics to get out the vote and promote union-endorsed candidates among union members and their households. But there's little doubt that the money spent in Iowa went beyond union households to the general public, which isn't legal if it exceeds the limits on campaign donations, as it always does.

The press doesn't bother keeping tabs on such activity, so it goes largely unnoticed, unreported and unpunished. And even if unions follow the rules and spend dues only in legitimate get-out-the-vote efforts among union households, they are still required to report this spending on their tax returns. Yet few unions comply. The National Education Association (NEA), for example, spends literally millions each year on politics, yet reports no political spending on its tax returns.

As tax-exempt organizations, unions must pay taxes on that portion of their revenues which are used for politics. Landmark Legal Foundation has recently filed complaints with the IRS on the NEA's refusal to obey the law, but, so far, the unions have managed to get away with massive tax evasion on their political spending.

Recent efforts by the Department of Labor to force unions to file more detailed reports on how they spend members' dues have now been held up. A Clinton-appointed judge imposed an injunction in December blocking the Department's new regulations, which would have allowed more scrutiny of unions' activities, until well after the 2004 elections. For the time being, at least, unions will be able to keep wasting their members' dues and ignoring their wishes -- with absolutely no consequences.

Linda Chavez is President of the Center for Equal Opportunity, a Townhall.com member organization.

Thread Information