• Has no Mutual Aid/Automatic Aid plans

3 9.09%
  • Would not go outside the district if called

0 0%
  • Responds without being asked or paged

0 0%
    Forum Member

Default How do you respond?

All the recent discussion about the Ohio incident makes me wonder if this could possibly occur again in the flatlands. Does your department have the proper mutual aid agreements and SOP/SOG’s in place to deal with this issue and prevent it from happening? Does everyone in your department know the proper response plan for an out of district call? Are you currently working with your neighboring departments or are there still conflicts and turf wars happening? We should not place judgment on the Ohio departments without all the facts. We may never know exactly what happened. We can use this incident as an incentive to make sure it never happens again. It doesn’t matter if you’re from Il, OH, or AZ. If you are paid or volunteer. Union or non-union. Lets use this incident as a wakeup call to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do you ask?
    Has there been a problem?
    Turf wars? Jumping calls?
    Whackers on the loose?
    Come on; what's up?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default We will respond anywhere

As long as we are available.

Forum Member

We have the Wood Co Mutual Aid Agreement, we also have a mutal aid agreement with the City of Toledo, and an auto aid agreement with our closest neighboring department to the east.So I will take the poll and respond to the first choice with the clairification here.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Why do you ask?
    Has there been a problem?
    Turf wars? Jumping calls?
    Whackers on the loose?
    Come on; what's up?
    CR
    Just trying to keep everyone from being placed in situation Niles FD had. I would hope everyone will vote for the #1 selection in the pole but I have a gut feeling there may be many departments out there that would have to honestly choose a different answer. At least in the rural departments here we have started working together a lot more. Daytime staffing can be a problem so we now have automatic mutual aid for all structure fires and mutual aid for any other needs. We have a countywide MA plan for all the rural departments along with the new MABAS division. We have moved forward in cooperating with the neighboring districts in the last 10 years. The 4 districts in our corner of the county now have joint training one Saturday a month. We even run a mutual aid rescue together. Two of the departments have extrication equipment, two do not, but we all work together. The main goal of my post was to promote trying to work together and not pulling in opposite directions. Hopefully some day everything you mentioned will be ancient history Art.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

We don't have those problems up here in the NW corner.Freeport used to though. The classic was when the Journal Standard showed a picture of a firefighter spraying a garden hose on a mobile home fire in s section of Freeport that was without hydrants. Times have changed.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Did CR vote no. 2?
    We have a good relationship with all our neighbors and will go as long as we have at least 4 of our guys respond to the station. Since we do 1st Responder calls, too, we need to keep at least a couple people in the district in case we get one of those calls and during the daytime, that is about all we've got sometimes. Our SOP includes a couple of stipulations when we can go, but for the most part we'll help out any way we can without question.
    We don't have any automatic aid agreements...yet. That'll be discussed at our county chief's meeting in a couple of weeks. Wish our dispatchers were capable of paging 2 fire depts. at the same time. But that's for another story.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

New Hampshire seems to know ALL about mutual aid setups & automatic calls to neighboring towns. Some of the more progressive systems out here seem to have dispatch run cards set up very well in terms of automatic aid to neighbors. Our town goes automatically to a 1.5 mile stretch of business route in a major city to our south, just because of resource layout (ours & theirs). Whether it's a box alarm, fire, or medical call, our Engine goes into Nashua as first due piece, taking command, doing a size up, managing any immediate threats & initiating any treatment or action that may or may not be handed off to the incoming officer on the Nashua piece. There's no turf war, as such. We don't have as many boundary issues as I've read about in the midwest. It's my general experience that when different departments encounter a situation out of their territory (ie: coming back from the hospital), the host town is notified to get their own stuff rolling, but the original crew will start the job as though it's their own. We have setups where certain types of calls (med calls/crashes on the line, boxes or fires in various parts of town) will get an automatic mutual aid piece or two. It's nothing for a neighboring town or our own to have it already planned where certain departments will be asked to respond for action or station coverage. The system is alive & well, but I know not without its share of difficulties & problems at times.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have an Auto Aid with the towns just north,south,east and west of us for high risk buildings,trip malls,etc.We also use MABAS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Les:
    You attended our fire school. You saw many of the departments that come a runnin' when the call for aid goes out.
    The departments in our area will bend over backwards to help each other. That's not to say that there aren't differences, but they are left at the door with the call for help goes out.
    Truly in the spirit of our fire service tradition.
    Jack; we have mutual aid through Henry County SIRT, MABAS, Western Illinois Firefighters Association and we have individual written agreements with Oneida/Wataga, Rio, Osco, Cambridge, Oxford and Bishop Hill.
    Getting help is NOT a problem.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Is Kevin postin about fire stuff ??????? LOL.............I didnt know he did that ! .............
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

bump.............
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

We are part of MABAS in division 12. Any reported fire gets an Engine and Ladder auto aide.
    Addison is dispatched by NORCOM who also dispatches Division 20, a good chunk of DuPage county is dispatched by DUCOMM so you do get the occassional two departments going on the same call, it just depends how it comes in. I've never seen a department refuse to go.
    Many moons ago we were dispatched for a fire that ended up in Bloomingdale. we started to fight it and when a former chief arrived we picked up and went home, From my perspective those days are long gone, and I feel that most towns work pretty well together.

MembersZone Subscriber

We run true auto aid for a neighboring department south of us that has a long trip to some of their northern district. We will most likely beat them in, which is sometimes a source of pride for the guys on my department, but proves that the right choice was made by them going to auto aid.

Daytime for us is like everyone else with volunteers, and we have automatically dispatched aid coming on suspected structure fires during the day working hours. Five or six departments work that agreement, and it usually works out well. No one has a problem being dispatched for something that turns out to be nothing.

Our MABAS division is pretty progressive, and we rarely hesitate or have anyone hesitate to help when needed. Our biggest hurdle is a station call-around before we send units out of district, just to insure that someone is still around to hold down the fort. I think we've had times when we could not help when requested, but usually only when equipment breakdowns mean sending an engine out of district would leave too few in district, or if personnel just aren't available.

There is always a black sheep, and one department in particular doesn't always play the same game. It doesn't effect us much, as when they're called they'll always show up to our district ready to work. However, much of their district is MUCH closer to two of our stations, yet they refuse to use automatic aid, and very rarely use mutual aid companies, when it is obvious by radio traffic that they are running a very minimally staffed incident. It will only be a matter of time before a civilian is hurt, or one of their folks due to pride getting in the way of getting things done in an efficient and safe manner.

The area's biggest weakness is dispatch, with at least five dispatch centers doing dispatch, which could be much more efficiently handled by a regional dispatch center. I believe that issue is being addressed as well.

We always call for help very early, even if we don't know for certain we'll need it. I've been on workers called in as a nothing fire, and small fires called in as infernos. We will start the aid if we even think it will be needed. Some folks think it makes the department look bad, but to me it means we're putting our personnel and citizens first, pride second. I have no problem with that.

Lastly, the area is now doing a regional recruit training program, which if anything is breaking down boundaries between departments and making us one "bigger" team, if anything. Too bad we can't get everyone in the area on board, but only a few have stayed out of the program. I have new respect for some of these area departments with a dozen guys doing what they do, and some of them realize that 1200 calls a year is a real pain in the *** as well when you're an all volunteer force.

MembersZone Subscriber

In our county and surrounding area, I believe that we have had a very strong mutual aod system in place for a number of years. In the last couple we have adopted a mabas division that has been a God send along the lines of getting the right mutual aid to the scene and for station coverage. I can't think of an incident in the last few years where someone copmplained about not having enough help. The best example was last spring in Sterling when the steel mill caught fire. Boy the MABAS division did a great job supporting the Sterling/Rock Falls FDs.
    As far as the Ohio incident is concerned, it does not matter if it is not in our district, If we get toned out WE GO! We are involved with four counties in my district Whiteside, Henry, Bureau, and Lee. Do you know how long it can take to get the right unit dispatched. Our problem is not in the response its in the dispatch.(But that is a whole different thread) Anyway, we will respond to the call if we are toned for it. This is a CYA move as well. If we don't go just because it was on the wrong side of the road and someone dies......
    Not on My Watch! We will take the appropriate actions to call the proper district who can then tell us to turn around or not but most times they will meet us on scene and we will work together.
    The Ohio incident is a sad fact that happens when politics become more important than the preservation of life and property. I do not blame the FF's but the bureaucrats that set the policies. Again another thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I used to think we had daytime staffing problems but we got a MA call to a neighboring dept. the other day about 1130. I happened to be in my pickup about 3 miles from the station. By the time I got there, 3 guys had the engine running, switched vehicles because they only need people and air, got 3 more in the rescue and were out the door within 5 minutes of the call. We sent 3 more later for relief and still had 2 left at the station. 11 people during the day, during the week isn't bad for us.
    We do still have auto-aid for structure fires in our district 24/7. We've used it before and it's nice.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

The only problem I have on mutual aide calls in out area is the bright orange glow that comes from the northwest .

All joking aside CR said it correctly (as always ) Eveyone bends over backwards to get the job done so everyone can go home safely and as quickly as possible.

WIFA AND MABAS DIV 31
    Proud to Be Crusty!!!!

"The time to train is not the time of need!" - LDH

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, it just so happens smart guy that the Harley shop in Peoria has a 2005 V-Rod that is painted fluorescent red! I'm not kidding.
    I will be down there Saturday with my camera so you can see for yourself.
    I knew that color would eventually catch on!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We just starting using automatic aid late last year. It works great for us. Today we had a report of a bathroom fire. Turned out to be a shower curtain that caught fire because they were using a candle in the bathroom! We use 3 departments for our automatic aid. Depending on where in the district it is, one of the departments goes change of quarters and the other two go to the scene.

Forum Member

We aren't using it yet but we are getting the mabas cards made up and ready to go. We will call while we are enroute depending on what info is relayed by our dispatchers. Peoria County is a very good dispatch center, usually they have a good idea on what is going on when they tone us. Since we sit on the Fulton,Knox,Peoria county border our response isn't as fast into Knox and Fulton parts of our district because they have to call Peoria to get us toned out.If it sounds bad they usually will tone Farmington or Yates City just to get someone going which is fine for me...less hose to clean up later..

Thread Information