MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flashlight Review Wanted (Syclone)

Has anybody used, abused, and broke a Syclone flashlight (Streamlight)?

http://www.copquest.com/10-4500.htm

Its hard to gauge how much useable light by a candle power number, at least it is for me.

Is the main bulb brite enough? 6000 candle power listed.

Is the LED usefull at all? Is it brite enough?

Are they durable? I have had bad luck with flashlights that swivle and rotate.

Is the helmet mount secure, IE flashlight stays on mount? Does the adhesive mounting bracket stay put? Did you have any trouble mounting the bracket on your helmet? What kind of helmet, material, style, brand?

Is the helmet mount practical/egronomic? Did you mount it on the side or on the front? Seems a little bulky.

Is the poly clip durable? I have broke these off of all my flshlights so far. Does the clip hold well onto SCBA straps or trunout gear loops?

What color LED is best, I have found that you can get white, amber (for night vision), green, etc... The one I am looking at comes with an amber LED and is alkaline for 30.00 bucks. Price seems good.

We are on a budget, and this is going to be issued to each of our departent members. We simply cant afford to go with a flashlight that is much over 30 dollars. Are there any other options out there that can do what the Syclone can for 30 dollars or less.

As in hand held, clip on, helmet mount, decent light?

-Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Found some for 22.47 now!

Ok, if there is another flashliht that is comparable, for 23 or less, let me know.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had problems with the switches in them. You can accidently turn them on or turn on the amber light. Then they eat your battery and when you need them, you got no light. We also went with them because of cost, but now I would rethink that position. Several good rechargeable lights that you can count on would be worth as much as everyone having a flashlight that may or may not light. it is a good product, I just dont like the switch.
    Just my opinion,
    malcolm
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Fire Chief - Hardin FPD
    Hardin, MO

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

This is a good light, but I had one mounted on my helment and found it to be too bulky, also I had a problem with being switched on accidently in my equipment bag. Take a look at the Underwater Kinetics UK4AA with a helment mount, I love mine and it's very reliable.
    http://www.uwkinetics.com/CategoryDi...grfnbr=842.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

I used one on my 1010 for 2.5yrs and never really had a problem. Every once in a while it would bet turned on accidently...but no biggy. The helmet mount worked great IF you follow the directions for application. I used the amber light when I was at accident scenes and doing paperwork(NFIRS).

The light is still on my 1010 even though it is now my backup helmet.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I had one for about 2 years. Biggest complaint was accidentaly turning it on and killing the batteries. Always carried a set of 4AA's in my cargo pocket and I could swap them out while riding in the jump seat after packing up. I liked having alkaline batteries, they give you fair warning when they start to die.

Also, when hung on the jacket in "L" shape it had a tendancy to pull out straight if I did not clip it to my radio pocket, ended up pointing more and more upwards.

My version had a 2nd krypton bulb for a flood light (LED was not available yet). I found the main bulb cut through smoke better than a Bid Ed did but not as well as a Survivor. Too heavy for helmet mount plus it would get fouled up in drop ceilings or wires and pulled off the helmet too easy. I eventually broke the battery clips, just wore them out I guess.

I ended up buying a UK4AA for the hemlet (much lower cost, profile, and weight) and a Survivor for my coat (much brighter, less likely to be turned on by accident 1hr quick charge). I do miss the flood light on the Syclone, mostly because the Survivor is too bright to do run sheets by.

Serious note, if you are buying the lights for all hands to save money, are you also buying the batteries for them? Over the life span of one Ni-Cad you will go through much more than $100 worth of alkalines. You should be able to buy a couple dozen Survivor or Big Ed rechargers for under $100ea if you shop around. If you're making the troops buy their own batteries then go with the Syclone.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Thread Information