Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Any Tips for Scott Firefighter Challenge??

I have competed in three events the past two years, and I am looking for any workout routines, diets,etc. to make myself better. I have been walking and running on the treadmill all winter to build-up my cardio, but any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks. You can either post here or email me directly at shoneyfire63@yahoo.com
    "PUT THE WET STUFF ON THE RED STUFF"

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have an aerial of anytype go out and set it up on the front pad. Start by climbing it in pt gear, then move to bunkers, then add a air pack and finally toss a highrise pack on as well. Do each step till you can do it 5 times without being wasted then move to the next step. Once you are done increase the number of reps. accordingly. I didnt do it for the FFC but I do it just to kill time and work out in a new and interesting way.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Default 1 cents...

I havent done it yet (if ever) but the feedback
    I have gotten was lighter the gear the better.
    Stay away from heavy helmets, etc...

MembersZone Subscriber SHVFD_Asst_Chief's Avatar

Cardio is great, but you need strength and muscle endurance. In addition to all that flexiblity is a must.

The routine that I did at the gym would be to focus on each evolution for about 15 minutes.

I got an old 2.5" hose from our department and packed it as a high-rise pack. I would place it at the bottome of a stair master. Pick it up and start climbing for about 1 minute. Get down and do it again, this time having the pack on the other shoulder. It helps to do this with someone, they can start the stairmaster and set it at the highest rate for best workout and simulation.

For the hoist, I would place two 50# dumbbells next to the stairmaster. Between sets of climbing, I would practice the hoist, doing 25 lifts with each arm.

The forcible entry, I practices at the cable crossover. I would place the tricep rope (tied so only one end is free) set the cable at just below waist height. I cannot remember what I set the weight stack on, but I would stand as I would in competition and swing the rope between my legs. I would then lower the cable and turn around and pull it up between my legs. I would do this for 25-30 swings each.

The hose drag was done with a rope and 45# plate to start. I worked up to 90#. I would drag it from one end of the gym to the other twice.

The victim rescue was done with a ez-curl bar with 180#. I would lift and walk backward to the end of the gym (a spotter helps guide you and if you are going to drop the bar). Also place a couple of towels under on you arms to prevent the bar from digging in.

I would then rest for about 5 minutes and do it all over again. However, nothing beats getting on a course (whether real or practice) and doing it. If in practice, try to use farther distance or heavier equipment, it will make it easier in competition.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Forum Member

Three of our guys competed in the Challenge. We had more firefighters at the station working out as if they were entering the competition. What helped us a lot was borrowing some of the equipment from neighboring departments. One department let us use their Kaiser (sp) Sled and another let us use their Rescue Randy. We set up a mini course at the station. What a grueling workout!!!! Good Luck.

Here are some of the pictures from the first challenge that I competed in. I was expecting to finish around 3 minutes, but actually finished at 2:39. Through hard work, sweat and tears, I got my time down to 2:31. Here's hoping that I finish under 2 minutes this year.

http://www.aristotle.net/~kevinr/FFCC1.jpg

http://www.aristotle.net/~kevinr/FFCC2.jpg

http://www.aristotle.net/~kevinr/FFCC3.jpg

Forum Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, The best time I posted was 2:39, so I am working on getting it down to the 2 minute mark this year, to be honest I would be happy for under 2:30! I will start mixing some weight training in, its hard to do anything outsided right now with our aerial, living in Wisconsin doesnt give you too many days that you would want to work outside on an aerial in winter! We set up a mini course when it gets warmer at our station also. If anyone has anything else let me know and good luck to everyone competing this year, I will be at Rockford in June, Janesville in July, and Maybe Evansville in September.
    "PUT THE WET STUFF ON THE RED STUFF"

Currently my best time is 2:31.97 (funny how that sticks in your head. I too have a goal of under 2:30, but would really like to get under 2:15 (I am trying to be realistic).

I know that I will be in Little Rock AFB in June and Rockford, MO in Sept. Beyond that I am not sure.

Good Luck

Thread Information