Default Rookie Needing Advice

hey....i am an 18 yr old volunteer ff...i am 5'6'' 130lbs......what do i need to do to join a paid dept...is there anything i can do to gain some weight cuz i have heard i am too small....and what does it actually take to get hired on a dept....

Forum Member

1st - Desire

2nd - Drive and determination

3rd - size is not always an issue, unless you know for a fact you don't meet the requirements to get hired. Physical fitness is more important than size, besides if you get a job, I'll guarantee you'll gain weight.

4th - Figure out where you want to work. Go to those Departments and find out their hiring requirements. Then go out an make sure you meet them.

There are job out there, but the market can be very competitive. Its not just as easy as applying at Walmart. Fire Science classes at a Community College, training classes at your Fire Academy. These are all things you can do to give yourself a leg up.

Oh yeah, don't be afraid to ask for advice.

Good luck, email me with any question.

Dave

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

It doesn't matter what size you are. It is about stamina and determination.You can just start by going to a GNC or a nutristion store and ask them about stuff like Creatin and eat more protein. Get on a set scedule at a gym. My 2 cents

well i have the drive and determination....i mkae every call poosible...my pager stays on my hip no matter what...the fire dept comes before everything in my life(that may be a good thing or a bad thing....depends on who you ask...) i dont think i have missed a single meeting since i have been on the squad...i am the over-acheiver in the eyes of the other rookies
    Find 'Em Hot...Leave 'Em Wet

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey MP,

Forget about GNC, my advice would be to research what size department you want to work for, where you want to work, starting salaries and benefits. Research some of the test taking books out there and talk to the people already on the job where you apply.

Regards,

Mike Donovan
    Bridgeport Fire Department

Forum Member

To add to Skippy's post, once you have found a few departments you are interested in, you might find out if they require you to be an EMT. That is almost always a must in departments around here. So I would suggest obtaining your EMT certification if you have the time.

Forum Member

Default Vote for Bush in 04' for a better and safer America!

what do i need to do to join a paid dept...is there anything i can do
    You need to listen to HFD66,capt. gonzo,steamer,ff7134,hwoods and a few others who have been there,done that and got that shirt! I did and I got hired. Just remember in your training---your mouth aint a fly trap so keep it shut and those things on the side of your head arnt spoilers.
    Last edited by stm4710; 01-22-2004 at 11:10 PM.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

DO NOT let anyone tell you that you are too small to do anything. People have been telling me that my entire life. I am 5' 6" 165lbs. I got recruited to play college football and I can pull a line down a hallway just as good as anyone or pull cielings or force doors.

BUT....it was through hard work and like many of the other guys said its DETERMINATION and HEART! If you want it; go and get it man and don't let anyone tell you any different

If you want to get bigger, just lift and eat NATURALLY/Healthy

GOOD LUCK

Forum Member

I would not worry about your size.. as long as you're fit enough to do the job. I'm around 135 @ 5'11" and have been doing it just fine for going on 14 years. And, at 36, I'm proof that you don't always gain it after you get hired.

Here in Texas, most Dept's will want you to be an EMT, and if it's not a requirment, then it's a plus that you have it. For larger Dept's like mine, you usually don't need anything, they will send you through EMT basic and fire school. Smaller Dept's will usually want you to have already been through an approved fire academy as well as the the EMT course. It's really going to depend on which cities you are looking at. Get with the city personel dept and find out what they require. If you're around the San Antonio area, they usually take apps in the spring. You can obtain an ALPHA list from the State Fire commission in Austin that has a list (along with addys and phone numbers) of all the paid fire dept's in TX. That's one good way of finding the ones closest to you. Good luck.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

DO NOT let anyone tell you that you are too small to do anything.
    agreed! You need to be in shape (work on your endourance), eat well, and never loose that determination and drive. size doesn't matter. I'm a small chika, but I can handle the work right up there with the big guys. Don't be so focused on your size that you loose sight of your brain as well!
    Also, Check out what the department's hiring processes are like, every one is different in what it requires. You should look into a fire academy, and also emt certification classes offered near you.
    hope this helps

determination can get you killed. this is an industry that we firefighters take for granted that our daily alarms are just walks in the park and go home to wifey. In order to be successful you must go get the training. I heard other guys say find out what the requirements are for your company and proceed from there. (BS)
    If you are 100% sure that this is what you want to do. suggestions from me. Go get CERTIFIED cover your own ***. That way you can cover someone else's. I joined a volunteer(engine)company when I was 16 yrs old.(thats not even old enough to enter structures before, during or after fire suppression). But we did anyway. I just wanna tell you the courses I attended some with groups from our unit,the rest on my own. Training never stops. things change so rapidly in this industry.
    my classes in order were Basic Fireground Operations,Engine Company Operations,Fire 1(BASIC),Gas & Electric School,Confined Space Rescue,
    Ventilation Classes,Truck Co operations,numerous Haz-Mat trainings,
    Fire 2(ADVANCED), Structural Burn,Flashover Survival,Pump School,Fire Officer 1,Arson Detecton,Incident Command System,Firefighting Safety in Warehouse Occupancies,Fire Officer 2 and the list goes on. The only way you can become successful in this industry is to get the training that is available. Go to school and keep going to school. like i said earlier I joined the company at 16, I am 36 yrs old 20 later i find my self want to be updated and aware of whats constantly happening in this industry. oh yeah before i go I was a Lieutenant at 17, captain at 19, 2nd asst chief at 21 first asst at 25 was the incident commander for years,deputy chief and safety officer,never made chief. I try to help young guys because our youth mentality may be the difference between life or death. Once our pagers go off, we're excited, adrenilin pumping, those thing will get us killed. Firefighters take a lot for granted. Remember that in this industry what wont go wrong will go wrong. we are born with wisdom,but taught knowledge. think; "my aim=no accident" be careful,keep your head up, eyes and ears open, mouth shut. Firefighting is a mans job,good luck young man.

hotboy-can take the heat!!!!
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

Permanently Removed

Lightbulb Size...

When your girlfriend tells you that "size
    doesnt matter..." Listen to her. Anyways...

I dont want to address the body size or
    workout issue, BUT I would highly recommend
    this. If you really want to be a full-time
    paid professional, time to think about your
    resume, communication and most importantly,
    the oral board.

Get a WEALTH of info. at this site-
    www.eatstress.com Trust me, if you dont,
    your competition already has...Bou

Forum Member

In this case size doesn't matter but conditioning does, so work on that because there is usually a "strength and agility" test involved in the hiring process.
    Around here EMS is part of the job, so EMT is a requirement; where I am EMT-I is, and Medic is better.
    I worked with a guy when I started who couldn't read or write, but was the best intuitive firefighter I'd ever seen; among other things he taught me to keep my mouth shut (unless it was important), listen, and to remember that no one knows it all and everyday is a learning experience. It's still like that and will be for your whole career.
    Oh, and one last thing.....if you get to an oral board NEVER EVER lie....if you don't know something, be honest and admit it - there's no shame in that. We don't ask questions we don't know the answer to. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

hotboy

where did they find helmets big enough to fit your head?

Forum Member

any one else thinking LHS ????

Originally posted by IFDFFENG20
    hotboy

where did they find helmets big enough to fit your head?
    I never meant to be flamboyant, I was small at 16,I just wanted the little guy to know that if you make an effort to get the training It will pay off.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

that being said, most larger career departments do not require that you have all that training. sometimes being an emt helps, but you still end up going through a recruit school to learn the specific ways of the hiring department. medium size and smaller departments might favor someone with some certifications, since their budgets don't allow for extensive recruit training. most of the stuff he should be doing has already been listed previously. keep knocking on doors and making phone calls to find out when testing is taking place.

MembersZone Subscriber

When it comes to getting on a career department take as many tests as you possibly can. This helps you in two ways. First, you gain experience with taking tests and the testing process. Second, it increases you odds of getting on a career department.

When it comes to size, its not your weight that matters it your strength and stamina. There are a lot of guys out there that will tell you this job is all muscle. While it is true that strength is important, intelligence and just plain using your head are just as important.

former FH.com member

Smile one more piece of advice

WHEN you get hired (gotta think like that), be sure to stay away from the guys who act like they know it all...they can be hazardous to your health. Best of luck to you! -46

Forum Member

Default Re: one more piece of advice

Originally posted by SAFD46Truck
    WHEN you get hired (gotta think like that), be sure to stay away from the guys who act like they know it all...they can be hazardous to your health.
    In the same vein... you have to stay from the guys who know nothing!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

former FH.com member

Thumbs up

good point Cap.

Thread Information