Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Post 9-11 Lawsuit includes Motorola

Families of 9/11 victims sue radio manufacturer
    NEW YORK (AP) - Relatives of a dozen firefighters who were
    killed on Sept. 11, 2001 have expanded a lawsuit against the city
    to include Motorola Inc., the manufacturer of the handheld radios
    that failed during the terrorist attack.
    The lawsuit, filed last month in federal court in Manhattan and
    expanded on Tuesday, claims the company was aware of problems with
    the radios but did not represent them accurately to the city.
    Motorola has said an overloaded communications network, not the
    radios, caused problems during the trade center attack. A company
    spokeswoman said there was no basis for the lawsuit.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

APTV 01-22-04 0710EST
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Default Vote Bush in 04'

Interesting......
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^very^^^^^^^^^^^
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Can't wait to see Tommy Boy on the stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is up with all this lawsuit crap, I was watching a talkshow yesterday and there were family members of NYC FF`s complaing about how the FD ran the operations. The talk show that boiled my blood was a Donahue (I cant spell his name worth crap) where a mother was on talking about how she is going to sue the NYFD because " her son should not of been in the building, that the FD had no business in the building, that they were not suppose to fight that kind of fire, that "everyone knew that they should not of been there" and the Officers of the FD put everyone in danger"

Well when did she become such an expert on fireground operations.
    Her son made the ultimate sacrafice giving his life, while saving the lives of people from not only NYC but around the world.

I am not attacking the mother, just her tactics for suing the department and how frivoulous the law suit is.

One person is suing the building designers. For what, to find out why the building collapsed and because it did. Well 1 plane hit each tower. People are still saying that the building should not have collapesd and that the mfg/builders were at fault. The building was built to sustain an impact and it did. The fire was what brought down the bldg. If anyone can PROVE beyound a reasonable doubt that the builders are at fault then you can sue. But the chances of proving that are so not even the size of an atom. Quit suing, you just waisting the courts time.

Also anyone that uses motorola, does the suit even hold any water with the claim that "the motorola radios were faulty and that the motorola company hid this from the FD and everyone knew about it, which caused many FF's to not hear the "everyone out call"

I am done with this topic.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oh a lawyer was on a talkshow, Fox News, saturday, claiming that these law suits were in now way about money. Well then what is it about? Are they just looking for someone to blame?

expvol your blameing the victim rants are pitiful---right along the lines of your rant about crown vics and those stupid cops getting themselves blown up.
    This is a very sensitive issue. The director of my fire science program was a FDNY firefighter/officer since Jinx was makeing pumps. He worked on the commitee for the emergency plans for the WTC. He knows first hand they should NOT have been in the building. If he could wake up tuesday morning seeing the planes hit on tv in northern mass. and knowing that firefighters were going to die,why didnt Chief Phiefer know on the fire ground? On the other hand a SOP book doesnt carry people down stairs to safety and doesnt have the guts those guys did. Her lawsuit has merit--how much is for a court to decide,but it does have merit.

Also, if it is found that /\/\otorola knew of this problem and did not inform the FDNY, then they should be held accountable.

Automaticly assumeing these people are nut cases and gold diggers is the wrong way to go when the charges of negligence in these two cases are so heavy. If you just assume with out facts it is just burrying your head in the sand.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Think for a second. Motorola is named in the suit, RIGHT?

Motorola will have to defend itself, RIGHT?

Motorola will have to show the ENTIRE bidding, testing and purchase process, RIGHT?

Even if they are not proven negligent, their testimony may show who was, RIGHT?

My personal belief is, these families are more interested in answers than money.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up I'm With The Lt.

Originally posted by E229Lt
    Think for a second. Motorola is named in the suit, RIGHT?

Motorola will have to defend itself, RIGHT?

Motorola will have to show the ENTIRE bidding, testing and purchase process, RIGHT?

Even if they are not proven negligent, their testimony may show who was, RIGHT?

My personal belief is, these families are more interested in answers than money.
    THIS is what it's all about. And, someone who is much closer to the situation than I, saw it very plainly. Right on the money, Lt. (no pun intended) Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 01-27-2004 at 06:30 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well then my stance on the motorola claim has changed, All the info that I had recieved from certain sources claimed that the claim was fooey. Could this put motorola out of bussiness if there are huge settlements placed on them?

Is the problem with bad recievers in the radios or bad repeaters?

I am not blaming the victims, Just the lawsuits that have come out since 9/11 and emergency services lawsuits in general.

If this is not about money, then the people making the suits should not see a dime of the money. Because they say it is not for the money.

Oh since someone brought up the crown vic bit. I have never in my mind called police officers stuipd, neither should you.

Those cars are some of the safest in the road, what makes them dangerous is the situations and places those cars are put into.

Maybe that is why many departmetns are changing the SOG's concerning traffic stops and placement of cars.

and come on, if you were in a car, stopped on the side of the road and were impacted by a vech traveling at 80+mph, would you expect no fire. There is no tank out there that I know of that can survive after a hit like that. Just think howmany LBS of pressure are exerted by that car traveling at 80+mph. about 117 feet per second. I saw on a discovery channel special on accident investigations, a car was remote controled to 80 mph, and hit a lincon contenital which was at a complete stop. The car was smashed so badly, the rear of the car was up to the dash, The contenital burst into flames.

if you were in a car, stopped on the side of the road and were impacted by a vech traveling at 80+mph, would you expect no fire. There is no tank out there that I know of that can survive after a hit like that.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, take a look:

DETROIT -- The fuel cell bladder technology Ford Motor Co. is testing in the wake of several deadly fires in Crown Victoria police interceptors has a long history of saving lives in the professional racing industry.
    Fuel cell bladders have been mandatory equipment for about 30 years on all cars that race in the NASCAR Winston Cup series and its predecessors, according to series director John Darby.
    "In the beginning where the idea came from was when guys would drive true factory, off-the-street race cars. There were so many instances where the factory installed fuel tanks were damaged or deteriorated and they would leak," he said.
    Darby couldn't say how many fires the bladders have prevented over time after rear end collisions, but the man who heads the world's biggest manufacturer claims they almost always succeed.
    "In 99-plus percent of situations, they prevent a fire," said Peter Regna, president Aero Tec Laboratories Inc. in Ramsey, N.J.
    The concept is relatively simple. A foam-filled bladder is placed in a steel can that holds the fuel.
    If the steel can, or fuel cell, is hit or smashed, the bladder conforms to the can's shape and blocks the fuel from leaking.
    Should the vehicle overturn, check valves automatically close to further prevent spillage.
    "They do work and are used in very high speed racing cars and military vehicles and power boats with a lot of pounding and puncture forces," said Regna.
    30 years of history in NASCAR? And I thought the automotive industry was involved in racing to test new technologies for their consumer cars and fleet cars. Did they just figure out that Highway cops may be exposed to high speed collisions? Or, perhaps, a SAFE fuel cell would have bumped them out of the bidding.

By the way, many NASCAR wrecks are at speeds exceeding 200 mph. The cells usually hold up.

Now, can we get back to the topic at hand?
    Last edited by E229Lt; 02-03-2004 at 08:51 PM.

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

yes we can, maybe the others need to learn not to light a fuse that has run out along time ago!

I'm new to the forum and late to this particular party, however...
    expvol, Tillerman25 inspired me to sign up and list my first posting. You've inspired the second--reference your comment: "I am not blaming the victims, just the lawsuits that have come out since 9/11 and emergency lawsuits in general."

You're not the first person I've heard make fairly uneducated comments about what's going on in NY. I've yet to hear Bush, the 9/11 Compensation Fund Master or anyone else thank the families for not crippling the financial infrastructure of this Country by suing the living crap out of every entity that deserves to take some responsibility for the attacks. Since 98% of the individuals eligible to do so, agreed not to sue, you would think we would be grateful and not have the balls to comment on the handful that do.

I personally know family members who took issue with the quality of service the radios provided long before anyone decided to file a lawsuit. These individuals want answers, but more importantly, they don't want to see others die the way their loved ones did. Further, if any one thing can be pointed to as the catalyst for the murders on 9/11, it is lack of communication, on more levels than you can possibly imagine.

Thank you for revising your opinion. In the future, if you decide to comment on things of this nature, please try to do so after getting all the facts. Have a nice day.

Wow, you're 2 for 2 with posts that I don't agree with.

thank the families for not crippling the financial infrastructure of this Country by suing
    You can sue all you want, it won't cripple any infrastructure. You have to actually win the suit for it to have any effect on a company's finances.

To my lost friends, RIP.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Wow, you're 2 for 2 with posts that I don't agree with.
    There's just no pleasing some folks, but that's never been my agenda in life. Thanks for the input. Have a nice day.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Post UPDATE

NEW YORK (AP) - A lawsuit brought by relatives of a dozen
    firefighters killed at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001,
    was tossed out Wednesday by a judge who said the families gave up
    their right to sue when they accepted federal compensation.
    The lawsuit had blamed Motorola Inc. and the city for allegedly
    faulty handheld radios that prevented some firefighters from
    hearing a call to evacuate the 110-story twin towers before they
    collapsed. Motorola has blamed the communications problems on an
    overloaded network, not the radios.
    U.S. District Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein noted that the families
    had chosen to be compensated by the federal government's Victim
    Compensation Fund, which was set up to provide payouts to victims
    without the uncertainty of litigation.
    To receive money from the fund, survivors and heirs of those
    killed had to forego suing American entities such as security
    screening companies or the operators of the World Trade Center
    buildings.
    The FDNY lost 343 members at the trade center.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information