Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, but when those instances occured, was anyone here saying "lets not pass judgement on them?" Probably not, but I don't know if those events even made it to these forums.

Responding to a reported fire way out of the jursidiction while coming back from a fire/rescue show...
    Never Heard about that one. Maybe you can provide some details?

I can take the criticism. Especially if it was an event I was not involved with. We all make mistakes....and we all have the right to criticize the mistakes. You learn from them, but to try and deny they exist or try and defend the outright stupidity of people who bring booze into a firehouse is absurd.

had a stocked bar
    Yea, a stocked bar, snacks, dancing, and Karoke! Heck, if you are going to add-lib to the story, make it good.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Gentlemen and Ladies:
    I think that we can discuss this incident without adding to the embarassment that FDNY is already feeling. We don't have to rub it in their face.
    We are firefighters. We squirt water. We don't walk on it. None of us will achieve sainthood. Many more of us will serve our duty in relative obscurity. We will not be the ones in the headlines. We may barely get a mention in the local news for the pancake breakfast. Some will give their opinion on a range of topics, while most others will simply read and shake their heads. But somewhere in between, there will be a discussion that takes place, because it has to. It has to come out in the open; facts/issues/opinions on the table, so that a consensus can be gained and incidents like this become fewer and fewer. Fact-finding; not fault-finding.
    Otherwise; we are just arguing to hear ourselves.
    Stop pointing fingers and make a point!
    The "nyeah nyeah" crap is getting old.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Unfortunate occurance.

Load gun, extend foot... SHOOT!

I think that they should have seen these surpise inspections coming, after the brawl and all. They always do in these sort of situations.

I do hope that the rest of the NY firehouses make sweep and get all of the contraband disposed of...one way or the the other.

Lighten up a bit people, it doesnt realy matter what we think anyway.

On a personal note, I realy wish I could have experienced a nice big brick firehouse with a nice polished wooden bar. Nothing like that in my neck of the woods, nothing even close. Definatly no bars in the firehoues, and then again definatly no brick firehouses, mostly just metal garages, grey.

Yes yes, spare me, its 2004, no more alcohol, no more bars...

But, if I had a time machine...

I would go back, ride a tailboard, and then sit down for a cold one.

In Rapid City South Dakota there is the "Firehouse Bar", the old downtown main street fire station that has long ago been replaced. It is brick, wood, and wonderful. Now it is a brewriy/bar/eatery that is simply great. About as close as you can get to that old school feel these days.

http://www.ohwy.com/sd/f/fsegprdy.htm
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

I would go back, ride a tailboard, and then sit down for a cold one.
    ... since you're going back in time and all ... it's much more fun if you reverse the order of items #2 and #3.

Good luck!

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Originally posted by PAVolunteer

... since you're going back in time and all ... it's much more fun if you reverse the order of items #2 and #3.

Good luck!

Stay Safe

You have a point, but why stop there...

How about like in the "Gangs of NY", where they have a huge drunken brawl just to dicide WHO gets to fight the fire!!!

Get drunk, ride a hourse drawn steamer (or worse, pull the hand drawn hand humper) to a non fire code building, get drunker, fight the other volunteer fire fighters over who gets to fight the fire, then hook up to your pathetic water supply and fight the fire, which is now probly spreading down the row of giant wooden boxes...

At least the smoke was healthier back then!

Ahhh, the good old days.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

According to the article on firehouse.com today the two that tested positive for drugs had cocaine in their systems.

Originally posted by ramseycl
    According to the article on firehouse.com today the two that tested positive for drugs had cocaine in their systems.
    KNOCK IT OFF!!! You're going to burst kentbwj's bubble.

Sorry, I just had to do it ...

Stay Safe

Default Think it couldnt happen to you?

Read this before you sit in your mighty towers.Mistakes DO happen Think about it.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Here ya go Mikey, I saved everyone the trouble.

Brothers, Sisters, & Friends:

Yesterday, Tuesday October 14th, Kevin Credeur was reinstated as a Fire Captain. Kevin had previously been terminated due to a positive drug screen result which, we believed all along was wrong, and now the City Administration admits. The Union hired Louis Robein to represent Kevin and during his investigation and discovery he and his staff uncovered numerous errors by all involved. Before the hearing, City officials met with their experts in the Council meeting room to discuss the irregularities in the laboratory paperwork. Then, in an unprecedented move, the Administration and their legal council quickly met to reinstate Kevin moments before the hearing was to begin.

The mistakes were many but they began at the local collecting facility when the exact type of test to be performed was not indicated on the collection sheet. The most obvious mistake came from the lab in Texas where, according to their paperwork, Kevin’s sample was logged into a collection “batch” (group of samples) late on the evening of May 22nd and the “batch” summary was computer generated at 12:09AM on the morning of May 23rd, eleven hours before he actually gave his sample around 11:00AM the same day. Impossible! Yet, no one along the way caught the mistake even though subsequent “batch” numbers did not match.

The drug testing system failed, and a 20 + year veteran with a wife and children was terminated and disgraced. The system failed, and the wrong sample was reported as Kevin’s. The system failed, until the eleventh hour as experts hired by the City finally exposed the truth. The system failed, as the City’s attorney asked that the hearing room be cleared so that the City could secretly make a statement admitting errors to the Board, a request that was properly denied due to the “sunshine law” or public meetings law. THE SYSTEM FAILED!

Ultimately, those guilty of perpetuating Kevin’s misery and pain, should be held accountable from top to bottom because they were in possession of the same paperwork that the experts and our Attorney Louis Robein used to discover the mass of errors for several months!

Following the hearing I heard someone in the lobby say “That’s why you join the Union, because we stick together for one another as a Brotherhood”. I couldn’t agree more.

Sincerely and Fraternally,

Donald J. Chauvin, President

Lafayette Professional Firefighters Association

Local #619

Following the hearing I heard someone in the lobby say “That’s why you join the Union, because we stick together for one another as a Brotherhood”. I couldn’t agree more.
    Jeez where has this statement been for the last hundred threads about the Union and why its so bad.

And another quote from the other thread about this topic:

originally posted by FFREDYou have no clue what it means to be a brother. You stick together no matter what. Through the good times and bad. If my (blood)brother had any problems I wouldn't disown him, I wouldn't refuse to help him or give him shelter if he found himself on hard times. I treat the guys in the firehouse the same way.
    The other FDNY thread

Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Quick question for the FDNY guys:

Why would the largest city in the US, with the incredibly vast amount of resources available at their doorstep, use a lab in TX for it's drug screens?

Question

George, maybe I missed it, but where did you see that FDNY uses a lab in Texas? The only thing I saw about a lab in Texas had to do with the Lafayette LA example.
    Once an Eagle, always an Eagle.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by SmokeyNY
    George, maybe I missed it, but where did you see that FDNY uses a lab in Texas? The only thing I saw about a lab in Texas had to do with the Lafayette LA example.
    The most obvious mistake came from the lab in Texas where, according to their paperwork, Kevin’s sample was logged into a collection “batch” (group of samples) late on the evening of May 22nd and the “batch” summary was computer generated at 12:09AM on the morning of May 23rd, eleven hours before he actually gave his sample around 11:00AM the same day.

This is what I was talking about. But I misread the story as being about the FDNY. I'm sorry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Funny to see you quoting from a Union Website that has a section dedicated to It's members who Volunteer when they are off-duty

Straight from the Lafayette Local 619 Website.

"2. Union firefighters are so devoted to the profession that many serve on their area volunteer departments. This has proven to be very beneficial to these communities due to the professionalism these members bring with them. Local 619 is proud to announce that the following members are Fire Chiefs of these volunteer departments and many more serve as volunteer firefighters.

Danny Denais - Broussard,

Jeremy Breaux - Carencro,

Jason Simon- Youngsville,

John Thevenet - Parks,

Chad Sonnier / Captain - Scott, "

Default Apples and oranges

Tillerman, whats your point? The fact that they have people that volunteer on their time off has NOTHING to do with fouled-up drug test results. Quit trying to turn everything into a paid vs. volunteer debate.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information