Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pete Rose

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pete Rose

I know its a little behind but with all the issues being passed about the possibility of Pete Rose being put into the Baseball Hall of Fame, mainly the big chant on why he should not be inducted because of his suspension from the league and gambling issues, I have to wonder why he is catching so much flack.

Logically now think about this the worst thing Pete did was bet on baseball, its not like he threw the games, so that he could win money from them. So to me his biggest crime was gambling, which even by his own accord he was never any good at. And yet people are up in arms about him being inducted.

And now lets look at some others who have managed to make into their respective halls of fame.
    Jim Brown I will admit that he was an excellent football player, but maybe he should have been a boxer as well as much as he beat his wife. His seat is secure
    OJ Simpson Im sure I dont have to go there with this one but I will anyway, yet another wife beater and murderer, and dont even try to say he didnt do it.
    Kobe Bryant reguardless of his current case we all know he will be inducted.
    James Brown the Godfather of soul himself, Ive lot count of the number of times he has been arrested for drugs, beating his wife, and has even been in a high speed chase which included him shooting at the cops chasing him.

The list goes on as Im sure you all know, doesnt it make you wonder who we are putting on pedastals for our children to idolize? Now really is Pete Rose's gambeling problem grounds for him to never be placed in the Hall of Fame?
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Default Re: Pete Rose

Originally posted by 12TruckIrons
    Now really is Pete Rose's gambeling problem grounds for him to never be placed in the Hall of Fame?

No, but his $3.00 haircut is.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

Baseball has a long tradition of preserving the integrity of the game. In the case of Pete Rose, I think the psuedo-Commissioner just plain doesn't like him and never has. That is why this issue has been active for so many years.

You cannot deny the fact that Pete Rose is one of the greatest basbell players to ever play the game. As a player, he represented everything good about the game of baseball. Because his achievements on the field had nothing to do with his gambling, I believe that he should be immediately eligible for induction into the Hall.

However, one cannot ignore the serious potential for damage to the integrity of the game that is presented by a manager gambling on his own team. Pete Rose dug his own grave on this one. I do not think that he should be banned from baseball, but he can never again be allowed to manage a team. His integrity has been destroyed in this sense and, as far as I am concerned, he can never be trusted again. There are plenty of jobs in baseball that he could perform, bench coaching, scouting, etc. that would not directly involve him in the outcome of baseball games.

This is a very sad story.

MembersZone Subscriber Rescue21D's Avatar

Default Let him in...

Pete Rose should definitely be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Who cares if he bet on baseball. He was bettng on his team to WIN. It's not like he was betting on them to LOSE and THROW the game for the payoff. Let him in... he was one of the greatest.
    Captain/EMT-P

You cannot deny the fact that Pete Rose is one of the greatest basbell players to ever play the game.
    You got that right; LET THE MAN IN. Compared to some of the crap that you read neary every single day about other pro athletes in this country, he is an angel.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's a quote from The Toronto Sun.

"In Pete Rose's new book he claims to have started the 1976 all-star game, ahead of Roberto Clemente, which is in fact true. What he fails to point out is that Clemente happened to be dead at the time. Clemente died in 1972...."

MembersZone Subscriber

On the other hand, Rose broke one of the Rules of MLB. He bet on the games. There are fourteen others that did that, and they were all banned for life. None of their bans have been lifted. Why Rose?
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

MembersZone Subscriber

if you are talking about the black sox they not on threw a game but they threw the world series. Even though one of them has been proven innocent he has not been reinstated (Joe Jackson) Pete Rose never threw a game he just bet on em. And really if you get technical doesnt every manager bet on the games his team plays in? After all he is betting his career, that they will win, if hes wrong he will eventually be fired, if hes right he will keep a job.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

Originally posted by smfd227
    On the other hand, Rose broke one of the Rules of MLB. He bet on the games. There are fourteen others that did that, and they were all banned for life. None of their bans have been lifted. Why Rose?
    Well said, I am not against Pete Rose being inducted but you would have to include the likes of Shoeless Joe Jackson as well.

MembersZone Subscriber gordoffemt's Avatar

Pete Rose...FOREVER!!

Bud Selig...NEVER!

Speaking of a $3 haircut, anybody noticed the horrible mop on Selig.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Thread Information