Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Well to begin with - this is one neighbor to the south who knows what real winters and fighting fires in them is like. But then again I am only six miles south of the border.

The state law here give complete authority to the Chief or their "designee" while at the scene of the incident. We have never had a problem of getting the publics works department in our village area or the highway department in the rural town area to assist us when help is needed. This has included plowing in front of our appartus, laying sand and salt from the station to the scene in cases of ice storms, and spreading sand or salt in the areas that are getting a lot of water spilling. They even have entered on private property to move snow or spread "material" that under normal conditions is a definite violation of state law.

If we have to open a hydrant, the water dept will arrive to assist us in shutting it down and re-winterizing it.

As far as chains - the last engine we got in 1999 has on the "on-spots" - they work great. We have since gotten them retro fitted to our tanker and our quint and they will be spec'd on our new engine that we hope to order in about a year.

One of our long time members once told me that it is great figthing fire when it is super cold. I thought he was a bit out there on that one, and sure enough one night with an air temp of minus 30 F with a wind chill of close to minus 70 F we got called for mutual aid for large structure fire. I was so called that my jelly donut froze instantly. And guess where my cold loving firefighter was - in Florida for the week.

Take care, stay safe.

Well as far as snow plows helping us out...We're lucky if the roads are plowed the next day or by the next night sometimes....I can remember pulling into the hall at 3 am..and running into the station in snow up to my knees..and firehalls are supposed to be priority snow clearing..haha..what a joke that is...then one of our members who has a plow on his truck comes in..makes a few swipes with the plow..grabs his gear and goes to see if the residence is accessable..As far as what we do to keep pumps from freezing....I guess keepin the heat up....I'm not an operator yet so i don't know exactly what we do to keep this from happening...

and RspctFrmCalgary i got that e-mail a while back...Its a beauty but quite true...lol
    Take Care,Stay Safe and Stay Low

Ryan
    Firefighter
    NDVFD Fire/Rescue

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Originally posted by ndvfdjrff
    and RspctFrmCalgary i got that e-mail a while back...Its a beauty but quite true...lol
    Yup, me too then I got it again and decided to post it. An oldie but a good one.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information