MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bankruptcy...a deal-killer?

Just got the call that I'm next on the list for my dream-department after waiting almost 2 years (list was about to expire, lucky or what?)

Anyway, here's my worry. DH and I declared bankruptcy a few years back after his business flopped. We went with Ch. 13, so we pay back our debts (as opposed to Ch. 7, where the debt is wiped out). The application to dream-department asked about bankruptcies and credit stuff, and I was honest, though I certainly didn't offer any more information than I absolutely had to.

So is bankruptcy a deal-killer? Has anyone ever heard of a department that wouldn't hire you because of credit issues or bankruptcies?

Anne

Forum Member

Anne, I haven't heard of this with the fire service. In technology careers, especially with classified information, I know bankruptcy raises concern of security because people might be tempted to sell to the highest bidder. I only know of this situation because of a government contractor job that a former girlfriend of mine has. It will come up in a credit report, but I can't see it being part of your oral board or chief's interview. Best of luck
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

I personally know of 2 ff who had a chapter 7 on their credit record when they got hired on.

I don't think it makes too big a deal. The were never even asked about it upon a thorough background / credit check.

My feelings are that they do a credit report to see if you have outstanding, unpaid, overdue bills or leins,past due child support or garnishments, etc..

I think as long as you aren't running from collectors you probably are alright?? The last thing they want is to have bill collectors calling the city or the fire department hunting you down.

That's all I know and I hope it helps??

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys, I feel much better now!

Anne

MembersZone Subscriber

Anne, just for curiousity , who is DH or rather what do those initials stand for ??

My sister in law refers to her ex as DH also and it is not a compliment. Actually took a while for us to pick up on what it meant but funny none the less. In her case it was the equivelent of "Richard Head"

Good luck with your opportunity.

MembersZone Subscriber

Old Usenet habit, sorry.

DH= Dear (or damn) Husband
    DW= Dear wife
    DD= Dear daughter
    DS= Dear son
    MIL= mother-in-law....

......and so on and so forth.......

Anne

Forum Member

Default Why

It's often not the problem but how you write out an explanation for the background. Most candidates turn themselves inside out when a simple explanation is often all that is needed to resolve most of the situations.

It shows responsiblity filing chapter 11 instead of chapter 7 as long as it hasn't put a burden on you that has hurt your credit since.

You're in the hiring process. Let's take it one step at a time. The badge is there. There is only one person keeping you from getting it . . . It's YOU!

"Some times I think my mind would kill me if it didn't need me for transportation."

It's not the items of concern, but the when and why. Like most candidates that enter the hiring process, they get hyper vigilant and the voices of panic and guilt start running around in their heads.

When did these incidents happen? If it was a financial problem, what was your financial situation then?

Make sure you have prepared a reasonable explanation (and practice it with a tape recorder)of why you went BK because of your business. The deciding factor here is how has your credit been since the BK?

The best way to find out about your credit is to request a free copy from one of the 3 major credit bureaus. Here are the bureaus:

Equifax Credit Information Services
    Box 105518
    Atlanta, GA 30348
    Phone: 877-463-5505 (for Credit Report orders) Phone (800) 685-5000 (for disputes)

Experian
    Box 949
    Allen, TX 75013-0949
    Phone: 888-397-3742 (for Credit Report orders) Phone (800) 583-4080 (for disputes)

Trans Union Corporation (TUC)
    P.O. Box 1000, Chester PA 19022
    Phone: (800) 888-4213 (for Credit Report orders) Phone (800) 916-8800 (for disputes)

If there is anything on your report that is not right, you can dispute it. The disputed company has 30 days to respond. If they don't, they will take it off. Many don't respond. If you still have a problem with an item, you can add a 100 word statement explaining why to your credit report.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 01-29-2004 at 09:35 AM.

Thread Information