Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default You know your political career over light is blinking when...

The latest polls show you having an approval rating that compares favorably to...Richard Nixon a week before he resigned.

I was saying this a few years ago, Rowland shouldn't have run for his third term, he could've gone out at the peak and avoided the scandals now growing over what, so far, only amounts to piddly sums (I'd say far under $100,000, maybe under $50,000 in possible bribes or at least unseemly transactions so far found).

But like Nixon, it wasn't so much the crime as the coverup that drew the wrath.

A Grim, Unanimous House Vote
    Legislators Formally Appoint Panel To Decide Whether Rowland Faces Impeachment

January 27, 2004
    By CHRISTOPHER KEATING, And ELIZABETH HAMILTON Courant Staff Writers

From her seat in the back of the ornate Capitol chamber, Rep. Penny Bacchiochi waited silently Monday - eyes down, mouth tight - for the House of Representatives to cast the historic vote that could lead to the impeachment of Gov. John G. Rowland.

It was a somber moment, and the weight of the decision to appoint a special committee to investigate Rowland seemed to fall especially heavily on Republicans such as Bacchiochi, who were so grim that many of them almost looked ill.

"You can feel it in the room," Bacchiochi said, looking around at the assembled lawmakers who were largely just as solemn as she was. "It's just very sad."

Moments later, with little fanfare and none of the normal grandstanding that occurs when the lawmakers gather, the House voted 140-0 to create a 10-member investigative committee that will decide whether Rowland should face impeachment.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Huh?.....................

That's News?? You folks must lead a charmed life up there, this stuff happens all the time here and to the west and south. Ah, Breaker one nine, Mayor Daley, you on the channel?
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Harve, I've been following the Hired Truck Saga, pretty interesting stuff you all have going on down there
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Uhhhhhh...................

Which One?????????????????????
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Ooooooooops my bad, I read your post and forgot that where you were at. I was referring to the stuff going on in the Chicago area.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Ok, so it was a hair over $100,000 they know about...still piddly!

(read to the tune of Ding-Dong The Witch Is Dead)

Rowland Pleads Guilty
    11:45 AM EST,December 23, 2004
    By JON LENDER, The Hartford Courant

Former Gov. John G. Rowland, who resigned July 1 amid a scandal over his acceptance of gifts and favors from state contractors and others, pleaded guilty this morning in U.S. District Court in New Haven under an agreement that will send him to jail.

"Obviously mistakes have been made throughout the last few years, and I accept responsibility for those," Rowland told reporters after entering the plea. "But I also ask the people of this state to appreciate and understand what we have tried to do over the past 25 years in public service."

The plea is the result of sensitive negotiations between Rowland and federal prosecutors who were gearing up to seek an indictment of the Republican former governor early next year on charges that could have included conspiracy and racketeering, sources said.

Rowland entered the New Haven courthouse about 9:30 a.m. with his wife, Patty, and his lawyer, William F. Dow III. He declined to take reporters' questions, but told them, "I'll see you on the way out."

Prosecutors told the judge that Rowland accepted $107,000 worth of vacations, work on his cottage and free flights from state contractors and others. Assistant U.S. Attorney Nora Dannahey said the charge also involves a conspiracy to defraud the IRS.

Federal guidelines call for a sentence of between 15 to 21 months in prison, the lawyers involved said. Sentencing was set for March.

U.S. District Judge Peter Dorsey advised Rowland that as a convicted felon he would not be able to vote or hold public office.

According to the plea agreement, the gifts included the work on the cottage and three free vacations at the Vermont home of state contractor William Tomasso. They also included accepting free flights to Las Vegas, paid for by the unnamed entity.

Rowland also acknowledged knowing that Tomasso's company was being given an inside track to build the Connecticut Juvenile Training School in Middletown, but that he did not do anything to stop it.

Federal prosecutors and the FBI began investigating corruption in Rowland's administration in 2002, but changed their focus to Rowland late in 2003 after a Courant investigation led to the disclosure that Rowland received free improvements on his Litchfield vacation cottage from state contractors and staff subordinates.

State legislators launched an impeachment inquiry early in 2004, and Rowland resigned July 1 when it appeared he would be impeached and face trial in the state Senate.

The ongoing federal grand jury investigation has resulted in the indictment of Rowland's former co-chief of staff, along with that ex-official's son and a top executive of the New Britain-based Tomasso Group, which received lucrative no-bid contracts from Rowland's administration.

Rowland's former deputy chief of staff already has pleaded guilty in federal court to receiving cash for helping to steer state business to the Tomasso Group.

Gov. M. Jodi Rell, who took office after Rowland stepped down on July 1, said she felt "deep personal disappointment."

"While we knew that this day might come, we were never really prepared for the reality of it. Today the state of Connecticut was humiliated, and I, as John Rowland's former running mate and colleague, feel personally betrayed. When I first heard the news, I felt like I was punched in the gut."
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Thread Information