Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manchester CT

Forum Member

Thumbs down Manchester CT

Can anybody tell who/what the 8th district vol. fire dept is?

The Manchester 8th Utilities District is a district in Manchester that provides fire protection for a portion of Manchester, including the Buckland Mall.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

The Manchester Fire Dept 8th Utilites District was founded in 1888. The coverage area is aprox. 7 miles which is basicly any thing north of west middle turnpike to South Windsor. The Manchester Fire Dept is often confused with the Town Of Manchester Fire Rescue EMS dept which is 100% paid while Manchester Fire only has 1 day time EMT and dispatchers paid.

Originally posted by THTruckie
    Town Of Manchester Fire Rescue EMS dept which is 100% paid
    Well...actually they are combo...however, they do not allow the volunteers to do any firefighting...at least up until 3 years ago, but I haven't heard of them eliminating the volunteers
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

Yet another department that is screwy like West Haven and Middletown.

Originally posted by Adze39
    at least up until 3 years ago, but I haven't heard of them eliminating the volunteers
    Talked with someone from TMFD. They still have volunteers. He said they have like 2 or 3 but they never show up (Gee...I wonder why?)
    IACOJ Agitator

Yet another department that is screwy like West Haven and Middletown.

They're not even in the same Ballpark, probably not the same Leauge, with Manchester.

It's the Town of Manchester...because they lost a lawsuit over which department could use simply the name, "Manchester."

The Manchester Fire Department Tolland Turnpike station was built in the late 80s/early 90s by the Town of Manchester Fire Department to protect the rapidly developing Buckland area. Then the 8th District sued the Town, and it was determined the station was built in the 8th's district and the keys handed over.

I was working in that area in 1993 when my employeer opened a store in a new strip mall. One of the 8th's volunteer Lieutenants spent an hour with our manager working up the pre-plan, and we where just one of dozens of stores opening that year -- had to give the guys credit 'cause there's an awful lot of commercial property they have to keep track of. On a busy day in December I've seen the 8th have a piece standing by near the mall because traffic into the area is so bad -- for anybody outside of the area, pretty much every strip mall, regular mall, and big-box store out there is represented in Buckland.

I think things were starting to improve by that point though -- the same lawsuit the Town lost the station (replaced by one about 1 mile away), also fixed the boundaries of the 8th so they couldn't expand and there would be no future territory spats. I've heard that the 8th Utilities, which has paid dispatchers, also provides the fire communications for the Town of Manchester department...so the volunteer district with paid dispatchers dispatches the career district with no dispatchers...follow that?
    Last edited by Dalmatian90; 02-04-2004 at 06:30 PM.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    The Manchester Fire Department Tolland Turnpike station
    Which Firehouse on Tolland Turnpike are you referring to?

The one near Buckland St (near Burr Corners) or the one near Demming St (near Roy Rogers)?

The Buckland house is the 8th's and the other one belongs to the Town. Basically, you have two firehouses that are sitting on two sides of the mall.

----------------

Let's not forget that the 8th is always having a Paramedic respond from the town to most of their medicals and MVAs.
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

I sust found out that the Town (paid) department is being disp. By "Fire Alarm" located at MPD HQ. Also I heard that the 8th dist. (vol.) gets upset when the Town medics and ff's show up in their district on apparatus instead of suburbans

MembersZone Subscriber

The Town of Manchester is dispatched by their own people. This was a change that happened over the fall of last year I believe. They used to be toned out by the 8th. Medic "5" from the town responds to all calls in the 8th districts territory because the District does not have a 1st responder for medical calls. There is no 8th District ambulance, all medicals are taken by ASM with assistance from the Towns medics. I have seen the 8th District and the Town respond to MVA's where one car is on the Towns side and the other is on the 8th's side. They will not cross their paths. I dont know if the Town is able to fudge anything by having the Medic responding to the 8th's calls. Im sure there is something going on, just to increase call volume (Hence the 3 pieces of appartatus to a medical, plus an ambulance). The only reason I can think of for Town FF's arriving in the district on apparatus is that Medic "5" is unavailable. The descretion could be put on the Towns Chief because his units are those responding as "MA." I believe most of this information is true, please correct me if you know of anything different. I have also heard through rumors that the 8th is no longer going to use the Town for M/A. It has been brought to some of Vernons members that they 8th may be calling Tower 141 or South Windsor's aerial as second due aerial pieces. The 8th has already used ET-241 for a highway call on 84 involving a garbage truck where they didnt use Engine 5 that sits on the corner of Demming and Tolland. It seems to me that the customer is being forgotten in this mess. I guess its politics at its best. Not for me to decide.
    Last edited by TVFDT141; 02-08-2004 at 05:58 PM.

Forum Member

Exclamation

If I am correct, if the 8th dosen't want to use the town who are there 24/7 right in the same town and their mutual aid is Vernon, I think they are paid/call/vol the property owners might get ticked!!.I would think the FF's on the line would care about their safety as well Correct me if I am wrong

The 8th got the station by Burr's Corners.

The Town then built the station by Roy Rogers to replace the station they built and lost at Burr's Corners.

The Town/8th ****ing In Each Others Cheerios is ashame since both departments have good reputations all around except with dealing with each other.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Default Greetings Manchester

just spotted your thread. Greetings to all in Manchester CT. Was priviliged to meet some of you a couple of years back during a visit to U.S from England. Hello to Christian Forroze who made me most welcome. Hope you are all well. Stay Safe xx

Andy Howard
    Preston Fire Station
    U.K

Default Re: Greetings Manchester

Originally posted by pne4ever
    just spotted your thread. Greetings to all in Manchester CT. Was priviliged to meet some of you a couple of years back during a visit to U.S from England. Hello to Christian Forroze who made me most welcome. Hope you are all well. Stay Safe xx

Andy Howard
    Preston Fire Station
    U.K
    Christian with the Town (paid) FD? I took Firefighter 2 with a Christian from the Town but I cannot remember his last name.
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Real Deal about the 8th District

Garbage garbage garbage
    Last edited by MFDHoseCo3CGR; 08-15-2008 at 02:24 AM. Reason: No longer true

MembersZone Subscriber

the called 241 cause of its tank capacity

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad that MFDHoseCo3CGR cleared it up.

Thread Information