Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

(I believe)We can legally go as fast as you can safely go in my state as an emergency vehicle. Our dept. allows 5 mph. State laws may not slow you down but an upset chief will. In vermont to be an emergency vehicle you must run lights and siren together. Some towns allow lights but no siren, which seems stupid to me. If you are going to pull car over you should have siren to warn vehicles maybe that see a car pull over and think this guy is letting pull ahead of him, not knowing and emergency vehicle is on its way through. Sirens should definately be used anywhere pedestrians are. We also are asked to kill lights and siren if approaching a bus with its lights on. You should never pass a bus with stop sign and lights on, even if driver flags you on.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

We don't respond with POV's to the scene, only to our firehouse. Rule is, you drive like everyone else. No speeding, no running lights, no running stop signs. We get a report of you driving "dangerously", you have a talk with the Captain and Chief. You might even get the option of not being allowed to respond anymore for a brief time depending on the situation. If PD pulls you over and writes you, you get the vacation time.

I like these rules.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We're just like Bones except that our geography and 2 man cabs necessitate POV-to-scene responses.

No speeding and no emergency lighting (not even flashers). When the policy was first instituted, the chief even provided a copy to the PD so they would know that our folks shouldn't expect a free pass.

Lots of moaning and crying at first. Not a single problem now.

At least in our situation, the risk just isn't worth the reward.

Forum Member

Default Idea

One Thing I Know That Has Worked Well And Does Work Well If You Have The Funding Etc... Our Dept Works That All Constables aka Fire/Police,Safetys,Lt's,Capts and Of Course Chiefs have portables .. What Happens Is When We Get a Page And Say I'm In The General Area I Can Respond But I Definately Am Not Allowed To Pass By...That Officer Arrives On Scene,Gives Size up To Chief and Members and Establishes Some Sort Of Command...Also When The First Arriving Officer,Safety or What Have U Arrives At The Station He or She Announces It By Saying Car Whatever is At The Station and Chief Or On Scene Officers Tells Any Additional Units To Respond...We've Never Had a Problem Yet and If Anything Its Benefitted Us On Responses

Steve

We can't respond to scene for anything because gear stays at the station. However the night duty medical duty crew get a jump kit and portable and they can respond direct for strictly medical house calls. The Rescue comes out of the station and meets them there. Any other calls you got to the station. Doesn't do you a lot of good to have 20 pickups and no fire trucks.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

Forum Member

Default Response

The Most We Ever Have Is 3 On Scene....First On Air Officer If They Are In The Area and usually Chief and 1st Deputy Chief....Fire/Police will Close Road down further up the road

Forum Member

Default Response

And All Our Gear Stays In The Station Also...Just I Happend To "Borrow" My Old Jacket and Helmet

Speeding is only a real factor if you are some distance away from the station.

I know here in Ohio if we have flashing lights of some kind, sirens and the state sticker for lights and siren you can speed. Which is all good, until you have an accident. Then you chestnuts, and possibly the departments, are in the fire.

If you are speeding so you can get on the first truck out you need to examine why you are driving that way.

And you need to remember - in most places lights and sirens are asking for more room, and asking to go through the red light,
    but do not give you the RIGHT to blow through a stop light, are cross way left of center so you can make that 35mph corner at 70.

It doesn't matter if you are responding in a private vehicle, ambulance, or firetruck, you crash a redlight and hit someone that had the green light, even if you had lights and siren going and the guy in the jump seat is hanging on the air horn, You are responsible, and are TOAST.

Default Words to live by...

Words to live by...

Always drive carefully..,

Cars aren't the only thing that can be recalled by thier maker...

KVFDCAPTAIN21 - I don't know where in Canada you are from, but in B.C. the chief can only use a green light in his POV. No siren. None of our fire fighters, including the chief use lights. We are allowed to respond to the scene in our POV, but only after all apparatus are rolling.

Unless you are a great distance from your fire hall, speeding will only save you a few seconds. You can easily check this out. Drive to you hall at the speed limit, then at 5 or 10 miles over the posted speed.

Tearing down the road in a BRT can get you into a world of trouble

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=17&id=25405

We can use our red lights when responding to a call we are told that 5 mph is allowed over speed limit. We almost follow this rule with little problems and when a problem arrives our Fire Chief and Police Chief addresses the problem and the cause and effect with the person and that cures it.

certainly safe drving is a must, and no matter what, for our State pfd3501 said it best. Slow down, 2 things will always happen ,1 the pager WILL go off again for another call, 2 if you dont make the first out truck then go on the last out. THE BOTTOM LINE IS TO GET THERE ...........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Response

Well Yes Its Different In B.C. Than Where I'm From Because B.C. Is Not Nova Scotia..In Nova Scotia Chiefs Often Times Respond In POV To The Scene And A Member Will Put Their Gear On First Out Apparatus...Also Our Town Is Very Fire Dept Supportive And Had a By-Law Put In That Our Safetys,Fire Constables,Lt's and Captains Can Have Lights Also..Also We Use Red Lights Here In Nova Scotia...

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Here in Indiana, I belive the law is that you must follow all traffic laws. No stop sign running, no stoplight running, no speeding. However, I usually do push the speed a bit by like 5 or 10 at the most because the cops dont really care as long as you are not recklessly driving like 15 over and we have our blue lights on. On my truck, I have a blue mini-lightbar on top, headlight wig-wags with a multi-flash patteren and blue alternating grille lights. The combiniation of all of these clears pretty much everyone out of my way. However, in Indiana, you are only required by law to pull over for Fire Trucks will red flashing lights and police cars with red and blue. Most people pullover anyhow though. Usually when I come upto a stopsign or stoplight, everyone will pullover and wave me through. In that case, if I dont see any cops, I will proceed through the light after stopping first to see if people are going to stop or not. If they do, I dont see anysense and sitting there waiting because no one is going to go until I do and it looks gay siting at a red light with my warning lights going. Stop signs usually roll through slowy because I have a stick and its just easier that way. Some of the officers on the dept will do the same thing.

I have heard something about a bill in Indiana trying to be passed that will allow for Volunteers with blue lights and other warning lights on our vehicles to be able to go through stoplights and stopsigns with due regard just as our fire trucks. Whether this is true or not i do not know.

This is the Indiana Vol. Warning lights law:

Lights may be used while en route to scenes of emergencies or to the fire station.

A light is only required to have a source of at least 35 watts, instead of 50 candlepower.

Lights may now be placed on the (i) top of the vehicle, (ii) the dashboard inside, shielded to prevent distracting the driver OR (iii) front of the vehicle upon the bumper or at bumper level.

No more than 4 light assemblies may be displayed on 1 vehicle and each assembly must be of the flashing or revolving type.

A blue light assembly may contain multiple bulbs.

Alternately flashing head lamps may be used as a supplemental warning device. Strobe lights or flashers may be installed into the light fixtures on the vehicle other than the alternating head lamps. The strobe lights or flashers may be either white or blue, with the exception or red to the rear.

If a member of a volunteer fire department violates the blue light law, the chief of the department shall discipline the firefighter under fire department rules and regulations.

These warning lights do not give the vehicle operator the right away when displaying the blue light. They must obey all traffic laws.

---Steve, OCFD 1211---

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

In Kentucky, if the department gives you a permit (and most do) you are an emergency vehicle if you operate lights and sound. SOP says no speeding though. We can respond to scene POV, but you do not pass the station unless it is empty.

MembersZone Subscriber

SC law states with proper warning devices (360 degree visible warning lights and an audible warning device) my Dodge Ram is an emergency vehicle that can "alter" (my quotes, not the state code's) traffic laws enroute to an emergency. The law doesn't specify a top speed or a limit over the posted limit.

HOWEVER, our SOG states no speeding in POV's, ten over posted in apparatus, except school zones.

What happens is this: we get toned, we speed and pass and if we screw up, the SOG covers the department for liability. IN other words, you hit or kill someone, you're on your own.

Be safe, ya'll.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

^^^^^^^^^^^thats called due regard .............
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

Really??? Due regard, you say?

So THAT's what my EVDT instructor was talking about!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry for the sarcasm. It's been a lousy day.

I know it's due regard. Luckily, ninety percent of our firefighters have taken Emergency Vehicle Driver Training. Due regard is hammered into our heads and the practical exam was very illuminating for even our career guys (it was a refresher for them, new training for most of the volunteers).

I guess my point is that our state laws don't really cover limits on what we can do, but our station SOG's do. Late at night, in a small southern town, you can get away with the speed (it helps when some of your volunteers are also in the town's PD) but in the daylight hours, even with lights and siren, I try damn hard not to be a hazard.

I think most of us do, but there a few on my department that think they missed their calling and should be driving Winston Cup, hence the SOG's that set some limits.

Thread Information