Forum Member

Default Issues In Response To Stations

What Are Your Peoples Views In Regards To Speeding When Enroute To The Station For Calls???

Forum Member

Illegal. Unnecessary. Unsafe.
    Makes our top cop verbally reprimand us and threaten to cite quite often.
    Makes our Chief unhappy. Not good.

Forum Member

Default Response

I Agree...But I Know Here Cops Usually Give Us 10 km/h And I mean At Nite No Traffic Most Feel Its OK To Push The Speed A LIl More...I Don't Need To Usually Cuz My House Is Within 1 Min Of The Station

Forum Member

You say you're within one minute of the station, but at what speed and distance? I'm just a shade over a mile away, but it takes about two minutes. 1.5 for an mva. And I run an old Ford pos.

Forum Member

Default Re: Issues In Response To Stations

Originally posted by KVFDCAPTAIN21
    What Are Your Peoples Views In Regards To Speeding When Enroute To The Station For Calls???
    Not illegal in the state of OH with emergency lights and siren.

Per our SOG, we have the same response guidelines in POVs as we do in the Apparatus, 20 mph over speed limit except in school zones, which is 20mph maximum. No speeding.

Forum Member

Default Responses

Lew Lets Just Say I Can Run and Still Be First There...So Maybe 20 Seconds at 50 km/h

And Fire our Officers which include Safetys,Constables,Lt;s and Capts Can Have a Light but No Sirens and Chiefs Can Have Light And Sirens. But Nowheres i'm quite Sure Anywheres do u Have the rights to legally Break the Speed Limits..Its More Of A Given..But Yes I Am Known When Comin from Work by POV can be to the hall in a minute and 20 roughly and its regularly a 2 min drive...

Forum Member

Check you insurance. I don't think your insurance will allow the speeding. I drive the same speed I drive every day to work. Unless road conditions are such that you have to slow down. We worked an accident today. I put the Rescue in the ditch at the scene. Snowpacked ice, Came to the highway where the accident was and turned onto it after stopping at the stop sign and hit a patch of ice no steering and brakes. Came to a slow stop down in the ditch next to the vehicle. Only had to carry the tools about 30' to the truck. Our rescue is a '73 Dodge ambulance. I am sure we are way over on the GVW. New tire with some more tread might have helped. There is no way to exceed the speed limit in it. It is screaming at 55 mph

Forum Member

Default Darn

Lucky Nicks. We had an operator put their truck over an embankment here but that wasn't due to speeds..that was due to another "influencing" factor if u will...This wasn't my dept i will add.

Forum Member

Default Re: Responses

Lew Lets Just Say I Can Run and Still Be First There...So Maybe 20 Seconds at 50 km/h

And Fire our Officers which include Safetys,Constables,Lt;s and Capts Can Have a Light but No Sirens and Chiefs Can Have Light And Sirens. But Nowheres i'm quite Sure Anywheres do u Have the rights to legally Break the Speed Limits..Its More Of A Given..But Yes I Am Known When Comin from Work by POV can be to the hall in a minute and 20 roughly and its regularly a 2 min drive...
    First off, your grammar is horrible........ Looks like July36's.....

And yes, it is legal for those in OH to "break the speed limit". I'm not saying I always condone it, but it happens. In OH, you are considered an emergency vehicle, if you are using proper lighting and audible warning devices. Same as a Police car, ambulance, or fire truck. I will have to look later to post the section of the Ohio revised code that applies........

Forum Member

Default Response

Thanks Mr.Hart(English Teacher) from my grammar..Since when is this a Grammar Competition. And If You Knew Where i'm From You'd Know Why I Talk Like I do..The people of my province aren't exactly known for good speech.

And secondly Ohio Must Be Different because i know here in Canada we are lucky the officers mentioned can have lights in POV.Thank god we have a good town councill and hook ups with province house..But I know anywheres in canada By Law even Emergency Vehicles are legally not to break the speed limit even when full code enroute.Same with Officers in POV...Its just more of a given..So Yahs Got A Good Deal Down Where Your Are

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

My part of the world allows 15 mph over the posted limit if conditions allow. The only trouble that we have ever had is not getting out of the way of the sheriff officer's patrol car!!!!

Forum Member

Default Responses

Our Motor Vehicles Act States Only "Fire Dept Vehicles" not POVS can exceed with Due Regard..Yet One oF My Operators was given hell for goin 40 over in Town @ 3am??? But In Regards To FF's In POV regardless Of Your having lights and sirens we are still not allowed...So Ours Is More Of A Privillage

Forum Member

Thanks Mr.Hart(English Teacher) from my grammar..Since when is this a Grammar Competition. And If You Knew Where i'm From You'd Know Why I Talk Like I do..The people of my province aren't exactly known for good speech.
    That's not an excuse........ Speaking and typing are 2 different things. You don't see people from Georgia come on here talking about putting erl in their far trucks, do you???????? Hope you don't write your fire reports or patient care reports like this.......

And secondly Ohio Must Be Different because i know here in Canada we are lucky the officers mentioned can have lights in POV.Thank god we have a good town councill and hook ups with province house..But I know anywheres in canada By Law even Emergency Vehicles are legally not to break the speed limit even when full code enroute.Same with Officers in POV...Its just more of a given..So Yahs Got A Good Deal Down Where Your Are
    And yes, it is different here in OH. That's the point I was trying to get across to you.

Forum Member

Default My Bad

Excuse Me Then..

Forum Member

Default Hmm

And Most People Type The Way They Talk....Or At Least Most I know

Forum Member

Default Darn

Ok This Seemed Like A Good Chat Topic....Guess I Didn't Think About it...fire...my bad for p**sing you off..

Forum Member

Default Re: Darn

Ok This Seemed Like A Good Chat Topic....Guess I Didn't Think About it...fire...my bad for p**sing you off..
    No, no. You didn't **** me off......... Not at all........

Disillusioned Subscriber

posted by firenresq77:I will have to look later to post the section of the Ohio revised code that applies........
    I couldn't get the link to work, so here's the law from the Ohio Revised Code.

4511.24. Emergency vehicles excepted from speed limitations.
    The prima-facie speed limitations set forth in section 4511.21 of the Revised Code do not apply to emergency vehicles or public safety vehicles when they are responding to emergency calls and are equipped with and displaying at least one flashing, rotating, or oscillating light visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet to the front of the vehicle and when the drivers thereof sound audible signals by bell, siren, or exhaust whistle. This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle or public safety vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the street or highway.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Thanks for having me covered, Steamer.......

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SPEED IN RESPONDING TO CALLS

Everyone should live by the rules I learned from a old chief when I started 23 years ago.

He said

1). " you are no good to the homeowner or me if you get in an accident responding to a call. I now have to worry about you how you are instead of the incident at hand"

2). " you did not cause the incident so it's stupid to get hurt or killed driving like a madman to get there"

3). " remember it's your safety you should think about when doing this job, go with your gut and question when something doesn't look or feel right and your main mission is to come back to the station with your complete crew with everyone all right"

I always remember these words when responding and I tell my drivers to slow down when I don't feel right about the conditions or weather.
    "Fire Prevention is our Intention"

(I believe)We can legally go as fast as you can safely go in my state as an emergency vehicle. Our dept. allows 5 mph. State laws may not slow you down but an upset chief will. In vermont to be an emergency vehicle you must run lights and siren together. Some towns allow lights but no siren, which seems stupid to me. If you are going to pull car over you should have siren to warn vehicles maybe that see a car pull over and think this guy is letting pull ahead of him, not knowing and emergency vehicle is on its way through. Sirens should definately be used anywhere pedestrians are. We also are asked to kill lights and siren if approaching a bus with its lights on. You should never pass a bus with stop sign and lights on, even if driver flags you on.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

Forum Member

We don't respond with POV's to the scene, only to our firehouse. Rule is, you drive like everyone else. No speeding, no running lights, no running stop signs. We get a report of you driving "dangerously", you have a talk with the Captain and Chief. You might even get the option of not being allowed to respond anymore for a brief time depending on the situation. If PD pulls you over and writes you, you get the vacation time.

I like these rules.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

We're just like Bones except that our geography and 2 man cabs necessitate POV-to-scene responses.

No speeding and no emergency lighting (not even flashers). When the policy was first instituted, the chief even provided a copy to the PD so they would know that our folks shouldn't expect a free pass.

Lots of moaning and crying at first. Not a single problem now.

At least in our situation, the risk just isn't worth the reward.

Forum Member

Default Idea

One Thing I Know That Has Worked Well And Does Work Well If You Have The Funding Etc... Our Dept Works That All Constables aka Fire/Police,Safetys,Lt's,Capts and Of Course Chiefs have portables .. What Happens Is When We Get a Page And Say I'm In The General Area I Can Respond But I Definately Am Not Allowed To Pass By...That Officer Arrives On Scene,Gives Size up To Chief and Members and Establishes Some Sort Of Command...Also When The First Arriving Officer,Safety or What Have U Arrives At The Station He or She Announces It By Saying Car Whatever is At The Station and Chief Or On Scene Officers Tells Any Additional Units To Respond...We've Never Had a Problem Yet and If Anything Its Benefitted Us On Responses

Steve

We can't respond to scene for anything because gear stays at the station. However the night duty medical duty crew get a jump kit and portable and they can respond direct for strictly medical house calls. The Rescue comes out of the station and meets them there. Any other calls you got to the station. Doesn't do you a lot of good to have 20 pickups and no fire trucks.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

Thread Information