Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Default Whacker rant, serious discussion only, dont come in here to start an argument

I'm not starting the paid vs. vollie argument, just hear me out why I feel the need to rant, I'm not anti-vollie at all, this just really ****es me off, maybe you guys will understand. I just gotta get it off my chest, like anger management! lol

I got something irking me that I feel needs to be resolved, without turning into the paid vs. volly discussion, because I am NOT a paid man yet. What exactly is the train of thought for these people (whackers)? We've got a whacker at our department, and he's a volunteer. I kid you not, he looked at the whacker site for an hour today, and he actually thought it would be a good idea! He also makes the statement that if the state would allow it, he would have more lights and sirens on his POV (a little Toyota Tacoma) than the first out engine, and he's DEAD SERIOUS ABOUT IT! This guy also squirrels calls for every department in the area, and he brags about his squirreling adventures. He gripes about the paid guys "not letting the vollies do anything" and he gripes when the paid guys "let the vollies do all the work"!!! He's always threatening to quit and go to a vollie company outside the city, and he's always wearing shirts from departments in the area that we do not have a good working relationship with. Can't forget about his "Volunteer Firemen Save Lives and Property" stickers in the back window of his truck, but alas, he runs with a 75% PAID DEPARTMENT where the job gets done with or without the volunteers! He even got ****ed off at me today because I told him that I think having all these red lights is ridiculous since you're not gonna get there any faster, it's almost like I offended him. He also got ****ed because I told him I had no plans of becoming a volunteer after I go paid. I'm sorry, but working a full-time job and 3 part-time jobs (PT for 2 career departments in the area and on the wildfire crew that I work for now) doesn't leave much room to volunteer, and even if I did it wouldn't take long until I got burned out on the whole thing. He thinks the volunteer fire service is the best thing since sliced bread, and that if you don't feel the same way then you can just go to hell because you're obviously wrong. Like I said before, no offense to the volunteers that read this, I mean no disrespect to any of you, because I don't want a big argument over this and a whole bunch of people get banned and all this other stuff, I just had to get it off my chest, and I know that a lot of you are understanding and are willing to look at other viewpoints and other opinions on a certain subject. So don't turn this into a big argument, alright? Thanks for letting me vent a little.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

I see your fustraition.

Some people just dont get it---not everyone cares your a firefighter. I got cut off in traffic one day buy a pick up with a huge light bar that this guy flicked on to get in traffic and "I fight what you fear" and MCVFA and retired IAFF stickers that---completely coverd up the back window. Sadly he also had the departments name over his license plate.........still can't figure out why he put it on the back.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

People such as this do several things:

1. Make those who use these devices tastefully and legitimately look just bad

2. Are asking for complaints from the public or bad press by someone writing letters to the paper.

3. Going to get themselves or someone else hurt/killed because they drive ASSUMING traffic will yield. It is demanding the right of way, but you can't take it until it is given regardless or you get hurt.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

WFD,

You have to remember that people like those always get themselves in trouble. We had one like that and he now is no longer part of the department. You just have to learn to ignore them because they really have no idea what they are talking about. Let me guess he only has the minimum level of training needed, and the only fire related stuff he reads is whacker-times.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

the only fire related stuff he reads is whacker-times.
    Fire Apparatus Journal?

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Fire Apparatus Journal?
    Try Gall's.

I feel about 100 times better getting it off my chest, without being called a vollie-hating backstabber. Thank you guys yet again for keeping it civil.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Not a Prob WFD......every once in a while we need to blow off steam. Thats when I usually have a Forciable Entry Drill.

IAFF Local 3900

Forum Member

Just another Blue Light Bufferoo! Do yourself a favor, stay out of that morons way. All he can do is hurt you or **** you off so much that you get yourself into trouble. You know what the job is about; paid or volly, don't let him drive a wedge in between two groups of brothers doing the same thing!

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

You make an awseome point!!! There are 2 guys like that on my dept. One of them is worse than the other. The worst of the 2 has a brand new Red Ford F-250 w/ a camper shell complete with all the stickers and junk(i.e. Maltese crosses,Star of life's,NFPA stickers,etc.). He also has a blue light that I have no idea why he has cause' we don't even allow them and haven't since 1980's. He also is getting a a big reflective stripe down the side of his truck.Oh yeah he also keeps his stethiscope on the rear view mirror. Not only is his truck "Whacked" out, but he is too. Don't ge me wrong I do too wear FD shirts quite a bit, but I don't wear nearly enough crap to be called a "Whacker". He works on GFD and another FD that borders us and has badges gallore. He has a badge for both departments in his truck in wallets, a badge for both on belt clips, and a badge for both uniforms.Oh yeah he also carries pagers for both departments and wears his "New York" radio holder all the time.I don't know why he does cause' both departments are on the same dispatch and we automatically go for every fire that the other dept. has and it is same with GFD. It gets worse, he also has a sereious problem w/ being "One Up" on every body and that is what makes him not liked very much on both departments.I just don't understand why vollies need these blue lights.In Illinois it is ONLY a courtesy light and it doesn;'t give the right to blow red lights and stops sign. I think it is the same for most states. Just thought I would let ya know your not the only one with "Whackers" WFD.
    Last edited by GFDSlappyRob; 01-28-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Question

I don't get it... What is the true definition of a whacker..? People say that I'm the biggest whacker they've ever met.. Well, I'm certainly not big as in fat; and Going by several "You might be a whacker if" lists... I don't see where I qualify. Sure I have a Dept. license plate, but it's in a box in the cellar; I own a blue light-a 3" round hot-shot, that's under the seat in the truck-haven't used it in a few years. The only FF sticker I have is on the front of my helmet. Only time I wear Dept. clothing is at Dept. events... I only subscribe to JEMS, Firehouse, Fire Engineering, and the PA Firefighter... Only belong to one Dept.; And I've cut my EMS-Disaster kit down to five bags instead of nine, and even sold the backboard, traction splints, and ked. I took the tank and pump out of the trunk; and the foam compressor cracked from freezing... But hey, its a good idea; Take a large plastic tank, hook it up w/ a rubber fuel hose, and an indian tank pump... Easy fire supressant. Add some foam.... and Maybe I'm in whacker denial..?
    Last edited by historyjunkie; 01-28-2004 at 06:02 PM.

Originally posted by GFDSlappyRob
    I just don't understand why vollies need these blue lights.In Illinois it is ONLY a courtesy light and it doesn;'t give the right to blow red lights and stops sign. I think it is the same for most states.
    While it is ONLY a courtesy light, depnding where you are in IL people will actually give you the courtesy of pulling over. This mainly works in rural areas, and i totally agree that they dont do anything but confuse other drivers if you are using them in an area with more than a few traffic lights. Also, many police officers (especially up north) watch for vollies to speed on the way to calls to bust them for breaking the law with the blue light...go figure.

Forum Member

Originally posted by GFDSlappyRob
    Not only is his truck "Whacked" out, but he is too. Don't ge me wrong I do too wear FD shirts quite a bit, but I don't wear nearly enough crap to be called a "Whacker". He works on GFD and another FD that borders us and has badges gallore. He has a badge for both departments in his truck in wallets, a badge for both on belt clips, and a badge for both uniforms.Oh yeah he also carries pagers for both departments and wears his "New York" radio holder all the time.

I just don't understand why vollies need these blue lights.In Illinois it is ONLY a courtesy light and it doesn;'t give the right to blow red lights and stops sign. I think it is the same for most states. Just thought I would let ya know your not the only one with "Whackers" WFD.
    First of all we all wear Fire Department shirts and memorial shirts and stuff like that. Its just what we as firefighters do. Police officers, medics or sports fans wear the shirts from the things they like. But some guys like the one you mentioned do take it a bit to far.
    As for the blue light issue. Some guys like to have them for whatever reason. I personally don't use one. I used one for like a year and a half and then realized that 1.) People often don't care so they don't move. 2.) Even if they do move they usually move to somewhere stupid and cause an accident or just get in the way. So I have not had a blue light in like 5 years and I get to calls or the firehouse just as quick as the guys with a blue light. Not to mention a blue light brings alot of attention towards you! People see you and automatically want to criticize your driving and then complain. So to me blue lights are not worth it!!

Don't ge me wrong I do too wear FD shirts quite a bit
    Nothing wrong with wearing a tshirt or sweatshirt. I have sweatshrits, work shirts, everything imaginable from area departments because I have good relationships with the crews. I wear mine with pride, but I don't expect to get special treatment with them on

I personally collect fire shirts of all kinds and thats about all I wear is a FD shirt and jeans---its just comfy! I got 11(there is one other lurking around here) so far not counting my DFD and currnet department stuff. I personally like HazMat or company or small town shirts as opposed to the same mindless bootleg FDNY stuff that is out there and I am always looking for new stuff. I acuteally prefer them over patches,I consider it a sucessful day sparking when I walk away with a shirt. So far I have collected:
    FDNY-pinstripe hollow letter/MC kind
    Boston Fire sky line
    Boston Ladder 26
    Boston Marine Unit
    Boston Rescue 1
    Boston Rescue 2 special ops
    Salem Fire
    Boston Mock neck
    Everret Fire polo
    Boston Hazmat
    Rowley Fire 75th anniversary
    Last edited by stm4710; 01-28-2004 at 09:10 PM.

Hey I have a FDNY Radio Strap (issued) due to the Chief was sick and tired of paying $80 or more to fix radios with cracked cases. So he bought cases for all the officers and crews. As for multiple pagers, I have to carry 2..1 Alphanumeric for the HAZMAT Team and one department. The HAZMAT is due to we were sick of the media tying up the phone lines as soon as the HAZMAT tones went off. And I have alot of FD shirts, my wife trades with women she meets on her firefighters wives website.

IAFF Local 3900

These may sound like dumb questions, but what's a whacker? And what's a Squirrel? (besides the rodents my dog loves to chase)

A whacker is the guy that is blessed with an abnormally high affection for some aspects of the fire service. Some signs are that he:

Has more colored lights on his car than he does on his Christmas tree and decorates every inch of glass with a maltese cross, star of life, or some other fire/ems logo.

Isn't content with merely carrying his deparment issued pager or radio. He needs a pager, scanner, 2-way radio, cell phone, and CB radio on or near his person at all times. He can also be seen wearing these at events hundreds of miles away from his home area.

Wears little if any clothing that doesn't have some relationship to the fire service.

Appears to neither have nor desire any life outside the fire station and can't understand why everyone else doesn't feel the same way.

Most of the folks around here that I consider to be whackers are also lacking in experience and formal training. That may not be true for all. Usually, by the time they get trained and experienced they've either grown up or got burned out and quit. I know one guy that 5 years ago met every definition of a whacker but has matured into a really superb firefighter. Truth is, we've all probably got a little whacker in us - that's why we got into this line of work. Some of us just go far, far, far overboard.

I've never heard of a squirrel but in the context of the discussion, I assume it means the guy is always showing up uninvited to other folks' scenes and trying to "get in on the action".

The Fire Service Squirrel....

This is the story of a squirrel, who cried a river and drown the firemen... oh sorry. every Time I hear the story of a girl song, I start singing about this squirrel...

He's the guy who shows up at every call you have, usually has a camera, and stands around getting in the way. We have lots of those guys. Their stations never have any calls, they aren't trained enough to **** on a burning match, and you'd never dream of letting them in the fire house door. You'd barricade it w/ a rabid dog first...

Races past the trucks at illegal and break-neck speeds; to get there and park in the drive way so your trucks can't get in. Just to get on his little radio he bought on ebay and say there's a fire. Then he grabs two hose lines, one of each shoulder, and leads off into one big mess of knotted hoses to get closer to the fire, and snaps a picture before he is forcefully removed from the scene by state police for being a danger to others. Usually brings children who wander around. Can't tell him to leave, or not follow us b/c his vocabulary is not that advanced yet. Will probably be a suspect in every arson investigation in the area for being first to call it in, first on scene and first there w/ a video camera; and bragging about how much he likes fire.

or the Ambulance Squirrel. The guy who shows up to the bigs ones to see who is involved, and then leaves fore the coffee shop chat session, even though you really need an extra hand lifting.

That's what a squirrel is.

No offense to EMSSquirrel, same name, purely co-inky-dink.
    Last edited by historyjunkie; 01-29-2004 at 12:18 PM.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by firefiftyfive

First of all we all wear Fire Department shirts and memorial shirts and stuff like that. Its just what we as firefighters do. Police officers, medics or sports fans wear the shirts from the things they like. But some guys like the one you mentioned do take it a bit to far.
    As for the blue light issue. Some guys like to have them for whatever reason. I personally don't use one. I used one for like a year and a half and then realized that 1.) People often don't care so they don't move. 2.) Even if they do move they usually move to somewhere stupid and cause an accident or just get in the way. So I have not had a blue light in like 5 years and I get to calls or the firehouse just as quick as the guys with a blue light. Not to mention a blue light brings alot of attention towards you! People see you and automatically want to criticize your driving and then complain. So to me blue lights are not worth it!!
    I understand where your coming from all the way.GFD and the other dept he is don't allow blue light and I have seen it in his truck. Just don't know why he has it.Don't get me wrong he is a nice guy and chilling out a bit, but is a very untrustworthy person on a fire scene. Trust me I have seen it. I am not trying to start an arguement here just saying what is on my mind

Forum Member

We dont have any of the extreme whackers. But I have seen a good couple in the area before.

The blue light works in some cases and doesnt in others. Its abused in some cases, and not in others. Around here, down home rural Randolph, the blue lights gets us "first-class" treatment, even from local law enforcement. Maybe the reason why we get such a good response with the blue light, is because our members dont abuse it. Some dont even run it all the time, only to the "more serious" calls. If you want to be treated with respect with the light, you have to earn it as is the same in a lot of cases. And whats funny, is sometimes we get a better response to the bluelight, than the ambulance. Go figure

A whacker is only dangerous if he portrays your department in a negative manner.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Thread Information