FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Fatalities Jump After Firehouse Closings

January 28, 2004 -- Nearly eight months after six fire companies were shut down, fire fatalities have risen and response times are up in every borough, according to a new report.
    FDNY officials said the August blackout - not firehouse closings - are to blame for higher response times. But union leaders aren't buying that.
    "There are always tragedies throughout the year, but never before did they say this is the cause of higher response times," said Steve Cassidy, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association. "It's a red herring. It has no bearing on it whatsoever."
    There were 29 fire deaths from July 1 to Oct. 31, 2003, compared to 18 deaths during that same period in 2002, according to the preliminary Mayor's Management Report.
    "There's a saying, slash and burn. Well, they slashed and now they're getting burned," Cassidy said.
    But FDNY spokesman Frank Gribbon said the areas where the six firehouses were shuttered are still safe.
    Response times went up by 11 seconds across the city - from 4 minutes and 14 seconds to 4 minutes and 25 seconds.
    But the day of the blackout, the citywide response rate jumped to 7 minutes and 33 seconds. The day after it was 6 minutes and 4 seconds.
    "So the spike for those two days has skewed those numbers," Gribbon said.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Question

Eng40, What do you think about this? I have read the article already and I sure as hell don't agree with the closing of firehouses but has it really effected response time and the number of fatalities all across the city?

Statistics

To put it in perspective:
    (From the January 1, 2004 New York Times)

Fire Deaths in New York Jumped 23% Last Year
    By MICHELLE O'DONNELL

Published: January 1, 2004

The number of fire deaths in New York City jumped to 119 in 2003, an increase of 23 percent from the 97 who were killed by fire the previous year, city officials said.

Fire deaths have tended to fluctuate, and the reasons for the increase in 2003 are unclear. Still, the union that represents fire officers is calling for the Fire Department to study the reasons for the increase.

"If there was a 20 percent increase in the crime rate, the Police Department would do a study to see what had caused it," said Capt. Peter Gorman, president of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association. "The Fire Department should do something similar to the Police Department to make a plan to counteract this trend."

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta said the increase should be viewed in context. "While an increase, it's an increase over a 75-year low," he said on Tuesday, pointing out that the 97 deaths in 2002 was the lowest number of fire fatalities since 1927. He added that one would have to go back to the 1930's to find a five-year period with as few civilian deaths as the period from 1999 through 2003 (not counting Sept. 11, 2001). In 2000, there were 125 fire deaths.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by firefiftyfive
    Eng40, What do you think about this? I have read the article already and I sure as hell don't agree with the closing of firehouses but has it really effected response time and the number of fatalities all across the city?

In my humble opinion the way the City gets its times are floored. Just because a Boss hits 10-84 (at the scene) does not mean firefighting is taking place. Where I work you may have to get to the 30th or 40th floor before we start...and another thing the City does...Say a person is saved but is in critical condition FDNY only tracks the person for 24 hour. So if a person dies in the 25th hour that victim did not die as a result of a fire.It's all about the numbers.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 01-29-2004 at 08:12 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40