Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Default Light Rescue Body, 3 man cab, on pickup chassis???

Has anybody ever seen a light rescue body with a 2-3 man cab, not on the pickup cab and chassis, but on the rescue body. Something that could be mounted on a F550, with roll up doors, lots of tool room, but with additional seating for crew.

There is a guy I know that was telling me about one he saw once, he thought it was a Smeal, but I havent been able to find anything like it, I even email Smeal and they said that it wasnt one of theirs.

Has anybody ever seen a beast like this, or does anybody have one?

Thanks

Edit: The cab was described as haveing seating for three, faceing forward, with SCBA jump seats and a door on each side. It stuck up over the pickup cab and had a forward faceing window. I would assume it was crash hardended. It was also alum, at least he though it was.
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 01-28-2004 at 02:45 PM.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

We have a F-550, 4 x 4 built by Amtech. Seats two in the cab with a forward facing 3 person crew compt. behind the cab. Total box length is 14' with roll up doors and slide out trays. We also included a 10K hydraulic generator. We also had them do a "cutaway" between the cab and the crew compt. so it is open like a motor home.

Check (www.amtechusa.net). Ours is similiar to the white medium duty rescue pictured. EVI also builds these type rescues. (www.evi-fl.com). Check their recent deliveries section.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber SamsonFCDES's Avatar

Thanks Ray! That is just what I was looking for.

I am thinking that you would have to mount one of these on a F550 for GVW considerations.

I wonder if the old 96 dodge 1 ton we have would handle one???

I will have to research that.

Thanks again.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Lets just say, for conversation sake, your three fire fighters with gear average 250 lbs apiece, for a total of 750 lbs. The rated payload of a "one ton" like a Dodge might be 3000-4000 lbs. Which leaves you with 3250 lbs at best, before the weight of the box.

Ford is having a lot of success with the 450s and 550s because it is giving them much more payload than a traditional one ton with a vehicle having the same overall size. The 450s and 550s aren't big pickups (except for cab styling), they are bigger trucks with cut down dimensions. For example, the wheels/tires are 19.5s.

The 550s also have the bigger axles, brakes, and transmissions for the job.

Forum Member

pfd3501 is right. A one ton pickup chassis does not have the GVW for this type of box. The F-550 has a 17,500 lb GVW vs 10,000 lbs for most one tons.

Ours goes about 16,000 lbs depending upon the crew (some are "more sturdy" than others ). We do not carry hydraulic rescue tools as of yet but will probably add them soon.

One drawback to this type chassis is turning radius. Ours is on a 201" wheelbase which has a turning radius in excess of fifty feet from curb to curb. The medium duty chassis such as Freightliner, International, etc. have a turning radius in the 35' to 40' range. The chassis design on these chassis allows a larger "cramp" angle to shorten the turning radius. If you have a lot of tight places to manuver in, consider a bigger chassis.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Might want to look at these people too http://www.braunnw.com
    We have 6 units from them in service with our district .
    3 on F-550 chassis and 3 on FL70 chassis the Ford 550s seem to be holding up better than the Freightliners .

Thread Information