Default Buying New Helmet

Hello,

I am purchasing a new Helmet, I am looking at the Conway Classic, and the Cairns 1010. I am currently using an 880, so I am not intrested in the new 880 that has been released.

Which would you all recommend?

Permanently Removed

Default Helmets...

Helmets...one subject that is pretty popular here.
    IF you do a "subject search", I am sure you
    will find the info youre looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Leather Forever

i dont know what they are called but the officers in my department just got new helmets that are made of the same stuff that the tiles on the space shuttle are made of....your head will burn to a crisp before the helmet ever shows any heat damage...if you are interested in what kind it is i can find out....
    Find 'Em Hot...Leave 'Em Wet

MembersZone Subscriber

That is a new one on me, could you find out what the space helmets are please?

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

It is the Conway Classic that uses that technology.

"The American Classic is lightweight, but tough. It employs TherMax composite technology. This technology is analogous to the heat reflecting tiles NASA uses on the space shuttle. Like those tiles, it reflects heat without significantly adding weight."

I ended up purchasing the Conway, Black with Face Sheild.

Forum Member

I have a Conway Leather and I love it. Some others have looked at it, but think it's too heavy, but I don't mind it.

District Chief

Leather Cairns!!!! I just ordered my 5th one in my 33 year stint as a volunteer and career firefighter. I have 4 others. My original one from 1971, the one I wore when I was Chief, the one I wore when I was an Assistant Chief, the one I wore as a Captain and they have been retired and are on my wall at home. They are all different generations of what is now the Cairns N6A and 3 of them I could still use, but chose to put them on display. Keeping it in the family, My son also has 2. One of which is hand-me down courtesy of an old department of mine and one I gave him after he got his minimum standards certification.

Can you tell I love a LEATHER HELMET? Real firefighter have enough backbone/neck to hold em up!!!

Now you see why I qualify for IACOJ!
    Last edited by captstanm1; 01-30-2004 at 07:08 PM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Although leathers are classic- they are too damn heavy, the ben II serves the same purpose and protection and are as light as magazine. The 880 I dont like becuase it is just an lightweight 1010.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

I'd love to have a leather there just to damn expensive. So I were the benny, I'm told the 1010's decent but I never had one.

District Chief

Gunstar34 says:
    Although leathers are classic- they are too damn heavy,
    Response:
    Real firefighter have enough backbone/neck to hold em up!!!
    You know I am just messin with you! Sorry
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Default I have a 1010....

....and I love it. If/when I need to replace it I'll take a look at a new 880. All I'm gonna say is choose whatever helmet you're most comfortable wearing. Others will say this one is better than that one and there is some merit to what some of them say. In the long run I have NEVER seen any helmet make anyone a better firefighter.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Anything found in my posts is soley my opinion and not representative of any other individual or entity.

You know that thing inside your helmet? Use it wisely and you'll be just fine.

Forum Member

gota 1010 .......would try the N6A if the big cheese would let me ....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Smile

Buy you a helmet that meets all regulations, requirements. Get you one, if you are going to buy it out of your pocket, that you like, fits your head and that is confortable. I like leather, but they are heavy and if you are in a busy department and wear the damn thing for yers your neck takes a lot of punishment.

I would perfer a helmet that gives me complete head protection, top, back as well as side, that is light weight BUT strong.

I like the helmets that the Europe firefighters wear. WHO gives a tinkers damn if it don't look traditional. If it meets all NPFA and other regulations and does the job, that is what matters.

The USA fire equipment guys can make a safer helmet and gives you all the protection that you need.

Look at all the helmets that is available and make a good choice. Remember, think of out the box and get you a lid that will give you all the head protection that is available.

Stay SAFE & WELL!!!!!!!!!!!

Permanently Removed

Default Wow...

I swear...CaptOldTimer writes some damn good posts...
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-29-2004 at 06:48 PM.

Forum Member

Smile

Wow Bou, I'd have thought you would have expounded on the virtues of Phenix helmets. Last Sunday I was down in Riverside CA as part of my latest US trip. Needless to say a visit to Ray Russell at Phenix had been arranged and now I'm the proud owner of both a Phenix 1500 and have a custom Phenix TL2 leather on order. The TL2 has to be the lightest and most comfy piece of dead cow that you can put on your head. ("Shameless Plug")- Peter.

Permanently Removed

Default Hehe...

Hehe...Yeah well I often speak of the awesome
    Phenix line but figured there are so many
    threads already out there, the dude had a
    large selection to read from.

So you saw Ray, totally nice guy, huh?
    Their museum is sweet too. Glad you got
    a PHX plastic lid, you wont give it up.

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-01-2004 at 02:19 AM.

Forum Member

Cool

I love my Phenix LA style helmet. After wearing the leather NY style for years, the Phenix feel so good on the head. I don't load it down with lights, wedges, tools and all that other junk

The heavy helmets are good but after a while of wearing them. your neck sure hurts. You can do all the exercise that is possible but having a heavy lid on the head for several hours and having ceilings and other crap falling on top of it, keeps pushing the neck down and screws up the neck. Our guys love the light weigh helmet.

Stay Safe & Well out there....

Thread Information