Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issuing gear

Default Issuing gear

does your department issue good gear or old gear
    Last edited by winfire; 01-28-2004 at 09:25 PM.

Depends on what size you wear, usually we issue old gear but if nessary we will issue PBI gear because we have smaller sizes in it.
    Rule of thumb is the females will get the PBI because they are smaller than everyone else, but we do have a few guys who are small too. If you have your own gear you can use it, I have my own tan gear just to get away from the bib gear, I like the shorter pants.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

we issue whatever is servicable that fits. It may be 15 year old gear, or it may be 2 year old gear. Many factors come into the decision. When i first joined, i got my dads old set of gear, which was made in 1985. However, I'm going to be getting a newer set soon.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Our department issues fairly new gear to our explorers, its Black with yellow/silver trim (Much like FDNY). I bought my own gear new, Globe PBI with Yellow/Silver Trim.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hell no our explorers get crap gear!!! I don't see the purpose of giving explorers new gear.We used to give them Morning Pride FDNY style gear, but they passed it on to the recruits and the explorers get the old black w/ yellow reflector Globe gear. The are never gonna need it for a fire scenario. Anyways not start an arguement here, we don't give nice gear to anyone until you are a recruit. The recruit gear is still not that nice.I is beat up black Morning Pride gear w/ yellow and silver reflectors(same as FDNY).

Forum Member

our gear is not good at all. all of the explorers have black gear. coats and pants. i am the only exception, beacuse i am larger than the black bunkers we have avialble, so i have tan bunkers.

our jackets date to about the mid 80's all of our jackets are 3/4 lenght. i would like to see the explorers get nice gear. we are allowed to put out grass fires, so we would need good gear to protect us better.we just don't have the money.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Most of the time the Juniors will get the older gear and after a while if there is new good stuff in back we can ask if we can have it. For example I was given the not so good stuff and then after a while I saw some new gear and asked nicely if I could have it and I got it.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Default Gear

We are issued old gear. It's not that bad actually because there broken in and easier to move around in. We are currently working on getting brand new gear for our explorers at the department

We use the old gear. If the gear is unusable or unsafe, then the extra newer is used.

"Hell no our explorers get crap gear!!! I don't see the purpose of giving explorers new gear.We used to give them Morning Pride FDNY style gear, but they passed it on to the recruits and the explorers get the old black w/ yellow reflector Globe gear. The are never gonna need it for a fire scenario. Anyways not start an arguement here, we don't give nice gear to anyone until you are a recruit. The recruit gear is still not that nice.I is beat up black Morning Pride gear w/ yellow and silver reflectors(same as FDNY)."

whats this bull****. as jr. i do everything outside frm roof vent. to change packs. if u dont go to calls i understand but if u do go to calls u definetly NEED some desent gear. and it should NOT be the same color as sr. members so u can distinguish them easily.

Forum Member

for my company...juniors get red gear where seniors get black, very easy to tell the difference...since the junior program has expanded greatly over the past year or so, new gear has been ordered for the most experienced and most active juniors...we are slowly replacing the old gear as much of it is torn, ripped, disintegrating, and simply falling apart...even as an exterior firefighter, many dangers are still present on the fireground...i feel strongly that no junior member should get gear that "could" not be used in an interior fire attach...just because a junior is outside doesnt mean the building may collapse or that an explosion may occur (as juniors are allowed to work within the collapse zone of many depts.)...a big issue i am trying to get the dept. to consider issuing hoods to juniors as well...as a junior i have worked on 3+ house fires, a handful of brush fires, and other incidents where a hood would be beneficial if supplied...hoods provide warmth in sever cold weather conditions...and provide heat protection from radiant heat of larger exposed fires...if juniors are expected to work in close proximities of fires, proper gear (including hoods) should be issued...messy torn up gear also gives a bad image to the dept. when in the public spot light...remember people dont know the difference between juniors, probies, and regualar members...that is all...

stay safe

Forum Member

Originally posted by NJfirefighterPA
    hoods provide warmth in sever cold weather conditions...and provide heat protection from radiant heat of larger exposed fires...if juniors are expected to work in close proximities of fires, proper gear (including hoods) should be issued

stay safe
    we just got this passed. we were no tissiued gloves or hoods. but now they are a must hane and yo ucan not respond to a fire or pia with out them (we also need the rest of our gear of course).

IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by ltj7bath
    "Hell no our explorers get crap gear!!! I don't see the purpose of giving explorers new gear.We used to give them Morning Pride FDNY style gear, but they passed it on to the recruits and the explorers get the old black w/ yellow reflector Globe gear. The are never gonna need it for a fire scenario. Anyways not start an arguement here, we don't give nice gear to anyone until you are a recruit. The recruit gear is still not that nice.I is beat up black Morning Pride gear w/ yellow and silver reflectors(same as FDNY)."

whats this bull****. as jr. i do everything outside frm roof vent. to change packs. if u dont go to calls i understand but if u do go to calls u definetly NEED some desent gear. and it should NOT be the same color as sr. members so u can distinguish them easily.
    The reason the explorers don't get issued nice gear is because they aren't considered minimum manning for the station. Therefore they are not required by OSHA or NFPA to have anything other than new boots and helmets. Also they don't have the money to be sepnding on the explorers cause' there are still FF's that need newer gear. So when the firefighters retire their gear it gets handed down to the explorers. I am not trying to start anything, but I just don't believe that explorers should have nice gear. I was an explorer for 5 years and I had to live with "decent" gear. I never said we had ratty gear, I was just saying we don't get issued brand spankin' new gear. There is no point. All they need is something to protect them enough from the elements. As for the color our we have Yellow Securitex gear with Scotchlite dual color reflectors. You said you your up on a roof during a fire doing vent.? Are you a certified FF? I find that hard to beleive.
    Last edited by GFDSlappyRob; 02-23-2004 at 12:47 PM.

Take it with a grain of salt, not to degrade new members (We were all new once) but I'd say Lt7Jbath is just trying to impress us.

42VTExplorer walks off in search of food.

eventually every gets new gear, we dont issue new gear for anyone until we know that they'll stick around pass their probation get their certification fire 1, our entry level gear is good gear.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

Default getting gear

HEY YOU GUYS WHO ARE COMPLAINNING ABOUT THE CRAPPY OLD GEAR YOU ALL GET, MAYBE YOU SHOLD BE GREATFUL FOR WAT YOU HAVE!!! IM AN EXPLORER IN MY DEPARTMENT (GOIN ON TWO YEARS) AND WE DONT EVEN GET ISSUED GEAR!!! WE HAVE NOTHING TO CALL OUR OWN. WHEN WE DO DRILLS, WE HAVE TO TAKE ANY GEAR THAT IS OF THE OFF DUTY FF'S. IT RARELY FITS THE SMALLER KIDS AND I FEEL BAD FOR THEM WHEN THE BUNKERS HANG DOWN AROUND THEIR KNEES BECASUE OF THE SIZE OF THE BUNKERS AND THIER SIZE. IF WE WERE GIVEN THE CRAPPIEST OF CRAP GEAR, WE WOULD BE HAPPY. WE WOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PUTTING IT BACK EXCATLY THE WAY WE GOT IT OR WE WOLDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT NOT FITTING!!! IF I WERE YOU, I'D BE VERYY HAPPY WITH WAT YOU HAVE.

ANDREW
    EXPLORER LEADER
    MLFD

Default Re: getting gear

Originally posted by mlfd36
    HEY YOU GUYS WHO ARE COMPLAINNING ABOUT THE CRAPPY OLD GEAR YOU ALL GET, MAYBE YOU SHOLD BE GREATFUL FOR WAT YOU HAVE!!! IM AN EXPLORER IN MY DEPARTMENT (GOIN ON TWO YEARS) AND WE DONT EVEN GET ISSUED GEAR!!! WE HAVE NOTHING TO CALL OUR OWN. WHEN WE DO DRILLS, WE HAVE TO TAKE ANY GEAR THAT IS OF THE OFF DUTY FF'S. IT RARELY FITS THE SMALLER KIDS AND I FEEL BAD FOR THEM WHEN THE BUNKERS HANG DOWN AROUND THEIR KNEES BECASUE OF THE SIZE OF THE BUNKERS AND THIER SIZE. IF WE WERE GIVEN THE CRAPPIEST OF CRAP GEAR, WE WOULD BE HAPPY. WE WOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PUTTING IT BACK EXCATLY THE WAY WE GOT IT OR WE WOLDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT NOT FITTING!!! IF I WERE YOU, I'D BE VERYY HAPPY WITH WAT YOU HAVE.

ANDREW
    EXPLORER LEADER
    MLFD

STOP YELLING! Now I konw I'm deaf.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Junior Firefighters get older hand-me down gear that fits them. The current gear of the older firefighters get passed down when they get new gear. So primarily everyone has decent gear but the older members have newer gear.

Forum Member

Our Juniors and Probies get hand me downs...When they get off their probationary or Junior Firefighter level they get brand new stuff..Unless of course they need special gear, then they get new gear right away

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

When i joined the ranks of the jr. firefighters on the vollie dept. where I grew up I was issued an old canvas coat, leaky 3/4 boots, and a helmet that had a crack in it!

We were not 'supposed' to perform interior operations but.........thats another story. We trained with the Sr. members, we performed 'similar' duties as Sr. members on all emergencies, and we even rode the back step. We did what we had to do.

I still have that gear. Lots of memories.......

Thread Information