MembersZone Subscriber

Default Non LODD Funeral Protocol

I am a member of my department's memorial committee. Last October a past chief died non-LODD and we had to scramble to set up the funeral. There were some long hours of debating minor issues basically because we had no guide for a funeral. After this I was charged with the task of developing a protocol for our department. I want to do the right thing and have it set up according to the "book". I have two problems. First, what does the "book" say, and second, am I reinventing the wheel? If there is something available out there that any knows of? I would be overjoyed to find it! Thanks!

Fire Chaplain

Check out the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation's website at www.firehero.org

Rev.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Funeral Protocol

It's been over 6 months since you posted your original question, so I hope this information is still helpful. The Federation of Fire Chaplains has guidelines for Fire Service Funerals. It can be found at the following web address:

http://www.firehero.org/s567/images/...ual--final.pdf

These guidelines cover LODD, as well as active and retired member funerals. Should you have any other questions feel freee to send me an E-mail.

Chaplain Kirkpatrick, BTFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Much Appreciated

Yes, this will be helpful. Although this is something that requires some delicate words and understanding of the family's needs, I truly want the procedures followed because doing something right may be the best tribute that we can provide.

Thanks.
    MCOX
    Chairman, SFD Memorial Committee.

Forum Member

Talking Newly Appointed Chaplain

I was recently appointed as Chaplain for Summit Fire Department in Flagstaff, AZ.
    I am an ordained clergy and this is a new program for Summit. I would welcome any suggestions.
    Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Danny Lee Prater, D.Min
    Fire Service Chaplain
    Chief Deputy Fire / EMA Coordinator
    Sunflower County, Mississippi

Thread Information