Default Ok, I'm placing my bets...

Kerry/Gephardt lose a tight election to Bush/Cheney in 2004.
    While the liberal wing of the Democratic party is undergoing a hand-wringing mental breakdown over the loss, the old DLC's and conservative democrats get Lieberman installed as Chairman.
    And Edwards takes it all in 2008.

Ok, not sure on the Lieberman thing but it ain't beyond the realm of possibility unlike things like President Clinton II which is...but the other two I think are pretty reasonable bets.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Bush with 52% of the vote with the remainder going to the various other fruit loops.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Ok, I'm placing my bets...

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    While the liberal wing of the Democratic party is undergoing a hand-wringing mental breakdown over the loss, the old DLC's and conservative democrats get Lieberman installed as Chairman.
    And Edwards takes it all in 2008.

Ok, not sure on the Lieberman thing but it ain't beyond the realm of possibility unlike things like President Clinton II which is...but the other two I think are pretty reasonable bets.
    Lieberman is a decent human being. He is more centrist than the others. Edwards is an unknown entity right now. It would still be much more fun to watch Hillary get her panties handed to her in 2008.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dal,

I think you're pretty accurate on the election results and Edwards' future plans. I don't know about the Democratic leadership part.

I think your DLC scenario would have more of a chance if Dean got the nomination. If the election is close, the current leadership will attribute the loss to the power of the incumbancy and the tendency of people to rally around a president during wartime.

If Dean got nominated (ain't gonna happen now, too bad), there's a good possibility that he would turn in a Walter Mondale performance in the general election and the only conclusion anyone could reach would be that the Democratic party leadership is out of touch and needed to be changed.

I think Lieberman has curse of personal integrity and it kills him. Taking control of a nation political party would take tons of promises and a good deal of backstabbing. I just don't think he has it in him (and that's a compliment).

Hillary would never get to the big stage -- she'd get the same 20, 25% of the far left Dean is currently pulling in the primaries.

I was about to say a Southerner/Lieberman ticket would work...but, wait, I think we tried that. Hate to say it, but a Jew from Connecticut comes in with a lot of religous & regional baggage and in today's political climate I'm not sure he could get himself & message across well enough to overcome the extra prejudice he'd face in large parts of the voting public. If this was and had been a 2, 3, 4 way horse race instead of 9 and had gotten significant support from the Democratic leadership it could be different.

Hmmm, you know our Republican Governor has made a complete @ss of himself over (so far) petty cash corruption, especially shameful since his father & grandfather made their political names cleaning up big time corruption. I'd bet my bottom dollar if Joe threw his hat into the next CT gubenatorial election, while it might be a step down from Senator, he'd take the election in a landslide.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Ok, I'm placing my bets...

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

Lieberman is a decent human being. He is more centrist than the others.
    Come on George! I feel the same way about Lieberman, but we all know that being a decent human being has no business in politics.(unfortunately) lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Ok, I'm placing my bets...

Originally posted by firefiftyfive

Come on George! I feel the same way about Lieberman, but we all know that being a decent human being has no business in politics.(unfortunately) lol
    No doubt about it.

Truckie

I would say you have a good bet, Dal. Around here, even the unions have split themselves between Kerry and Dean. Tough to show a united front like that- especially when the mudslinging starts. Anyway you look at it, the Democratic party soon gets hijacked by the extreme left once a front runner is determined.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Hillary running the Whitehouse again? Why Not?

I wouldn't bet on either of those two vice-presidential choices being on the ticket in November.

It would still be much more fun to watch Hillary get her panties handed to her in 2008.
    She scares you more than I can see, doesn't she George?????

Forum Member

if Joe threw his hat into the next CT gubenatorial election, while it might be a step down from Senator, he'd take the election in a landslide.
    CT didn't do bad by him the last time, did it Dal? i know he was in office when I was in school in New haven.

What about Rev AL?

MembersZone Subscriber

if Joe threw his hat into the next CT gubenatorial election, while it might be a step down from Senator, he'd take the election in a landslide.
    Not such a step down. Look at the last several Presidents. How many were not Governors at one time?

MembersZone Subscriber

It really looks like a Kerry/Edwards ticket to me right now. If Edwards is not on the ticket, he most likely will be the next Gov. of NC. He has proven his ability to win statewide elections.

Until 229LT mentioned it I had never thought about the possibility of Cheney being replaced on the ticket. It makes sense though. They could spin it as being for "health reasons". Not sure who Bush would replace him with though. Most likely not a Senator for fear of losing control fo the senate.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

If she will let Bill walk all over her and treat her like sh$t how can she stand up and demand respect from the rest of the world

MembersZone Subscriber

Until 229LT mentioned it I had never thought about the possibility of Cheney being replaced on the ticket. It makes sense though. They could spin it as being for "health reasons". Not sure who Bush would replace him with though. Most likely not a Senator for fear of losing control fo the senate.
    Or as a scapegoat.

Replacement? Colin Powell or Condy Rice.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've always thought Cheney was a drag on the ticket and his health is a real issue, but I don't think Bush will replace him.

I would love to see Rice get the slot. She's one bright lady that I think would make an outstanding VP.

Try this one on:

Rice/??? vs Clinton/??? in 2008. That combination would turn our political system on its head!

MembersZone Subscriber

Replacement? Colin Powell or Condy Rice.
    "Go ahead, Make my day"

One other thought:

RUDY, RUDY, RUDY, RUDY......

I really doubt Cheney would get replaced unless it was for *actual* health reasons.

Then Rudy would be a strong contender; both Powell & Rice are medium list options too...and I think any of those three would siphon a few percentage points more away from the Dems then Bush/Cheney alone.

It really looks like a Kerry/Edwards ticket to me right now.

Here's the reason I don't think so:

I think Edwards will realize he has the potential to win the #1 spot on his own in 2008. Figure biggest factor against Bush's re-election isn't his policies or popularity but the electorate so evenly divided it can tip one way or another -- very good possibility the Dems can't unseat him.

Nah, Edwards best bet is decline the VP, show he's a team Democrat and go out and really support the ticket, knowing if (and probably when) they lose 2008 is going to be a clean slate election -- no incumbent president, and Cheney won't run for #1. And Edwards has four years to solidify his support and his name without it being dragged down by, "Oh, the guy who ran and lost for VP"

Hah...political elections from hell: 2008. Guiliani/Powell v. Edwards/Clinton...talk about blowing all polling data out of the water trying to figure out where that one would settle in the American pysche of politics, regionalism, and prejudices!
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    Hah...political elections from hell: 2008. Guiliani/Powell v. Edwards/Clinton...talk about blowing all polling data out of the water trying to figure out where that one would settle in the American pysche of politics, regionalism, and prejudices!
    I say no only because Powell's wife wants him out of the game- it's why he didn't run himself in 2000. He announces for Pres or Veep and he's gonna find his stuff on the sidewalk when he gets home.

Forum Member

If Hideous Clinton got elected I would move to another country.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones why are you going all Alec Baldwin on us? Got any countries in mind?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Tahiti would be nice, maybe Australia.

I just can't stand that woman.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

E229LT might just be onto something. Check out this MSNBC Blurb from, of all people, the gossip columnist.

Thread Information